Qualities You Look For In New Employees

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Entrepreneur Help profile image62
    Entrepreneur Helpposted 14 years ago

I am a technical educator and help prepare students for careers.  I've asked this question many times to business owners over the years, and would like to ask you as well.  When hiring a new employee, what do you look for in the person that you're interviewing?

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone who has the right qualifications, shows a good all round knowledge, and somebody who can get along with people. Having individual skills might all be very well, but it's best to have people who can get along together is it not?

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Adaptability, time-management and work ethic. smile

3. monzavenue profile image65
      monzavenueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

IMHO, an employee must be open-minded and humble because if he has these qualities he is highly trainable and can learn easily. Also, humility will help him get along with other co-workers easily.

Just my two cents. smile

4. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Back before my disability, I was in a position of hiring, I always looked past appearance and went looked into the meaning of the answers they gave me when I asked questions. You can tell a person is lying by changes in eye, voice, and body movement. I believe everyone deserves a chance, but I think my biggest thing was if they were going to lie in an interview, they could not be trusted and I passed them over..even if it was the most schooled, best dressed, and most professional looking person out there.
      another thing I looked for was those eager to do any meaningless, thing..those meaningless things are important and if they are very eager and honest, those I gave the chance to.

5. classicalgeek profile image83
      classicalgeekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, I'm a small business owner, so here's my list:
      1) after training, needs minimal amount of my time because I'm the one who does most of the work, and every minute I spend with an employee is a minute I'm not making money for the business (and their salaries)
      2) does not cause trouble in the company because again, then I have to take time away from my work to resolve personal differences. Therefore MUST get along well with others.
      3) I must be able to rely on them to meet their deadlines. I am in a deadline-driven business and I can't tell you how many people have cost me thousands of dollars because they were a "few minutes late." In this business promptness is not optional.
      4) They must be able to do whatever it takes to get the work RIGHT, to my satisfaction. It's my company's name on their product or service, and I'm the one ultimately responsible for their work, by virtue of being the owner of the company.

This implies a whole lot of things like teamwork, ability to meet deadlines, knowledge of subject, etc. but the basic thing is they must allow me to do my job without distraction, and they must make the customers want to come back.

I know this sounds very impersonal, but I pay my employees generously, have good relationships with them, and really care about them and their families, and work very well with them. This is a small business, there's a LOT of work to be done, and if I'm paying the new hires 5x minimum wage I want work that is worth what I'm paying them. (Incidentally, I get only a little over twice what the new hires make.)

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I would like to see indication of long term reliability, loyalty and commitment to the business smile

3. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Their academic background, how confident they are (because they will face clients, they have to be at least able to talk to other people), how committed they are to working for me (I don't want to be a fly-by-night employer or just something they're passing time with before they get the job they really want). In the long run, I want to see a steadfast commitment and loyalty to the firm. smile

1. Oona Seckar profile image60
      Oona Seckarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what I don't understand.  Loyalty, before they've even worked for you and had a chance to find out what kind of employer you are?  Too many employers think loyalty only works one way...

Some of them seem to think it means, "Jump when I say jump."

4. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Oh and welcome to HubPages!

1. profile image51
      grolyy1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i love you so much grolykoroma@yahoo.com

5. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Honesty
    Eye Contact
    Willingness to commit to personal and business growth.

You may purchase more information from members here after making a $5 Donation to the 2010 Xmas Party Fund. smile

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Merry Christmas PD. *hugz*

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto Em... Party hard lol

lol here in forums I will big_smile. It's 45 minutes before midnight here and it's Christmas eve!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are 5 hours behind NZ.... Are you in Thailand or the Philipines? hmm

The lovely archipelago called Philippines smile.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey Emievil, what did you cook for noche buena? yum yum yum, oh countdown, Christmas is early there and in PDs place too

Uhm, we don't prepare anything for noche buena. It's just my husband and me here smile. We're having spaghetti and salad tomorrow though big_smile.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
                prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fruit salad?

Yep, with extra cherries because my husband love those.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

lol PD, don't scare our new Hubbers now, lol

7. pioneer_writer5 profile image57
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

How many jobs and the length of time spent at each job suggests whether or not the candidate can com mitt.I look at their educational back ground  the consistency, their major, and how much of their educational journey have they taken? If they are just beginning there may be more or less flexibility than if they are doing graduate studies.  I ask about their previous work experience with supervisors and fellow employees, and provide one or two scenarios to try to get at how they might relate to their fellow employees. As an educator you would also want to know how they will relate to their students. I would look into their work experience to see if they had any prior experiences ask them to relate said experiences and then provide one or two scenarios to get them to talk. The more they talk the better idea you get of what kind of employee this individual is. I usually have one or two unexpected questions that makes the interviewee think and reflectively respond.

8. pioneer_writer5 profile image57
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

And Welcome to Hub pages

9. Cleanclover profile image42
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

hire only female employees. Look for beautiful face, figure, and age.

10. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 14 years ago

I required that they not have used Affirmative Action to get through their schooling, and into their field. That their accomplishments be theirs, and not some fictionalized education handed to someone who doesn't know, and shouldn't be, because they cannot do it.

11. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

I have never been impressed by a long list of qualifications--I have to get a sense the person has commitment and integrity.  They have to be able to get along with people--with co-workers, clients, and me.  They should be able to demonstrate they like themselves and others.  A cancerous personality cannot be overcome, regardless of job qualifications.

12. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

team player, driven and patience, preferably male and hot lol

13. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

The ability to get the job done by asking them some tricky questions that they should have prepared the possible answers for, if they know nothing, then they don't get the job....I'm the master and they are merely peasants....muwahahahahaha!!

14. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

you can see http://jobspremises.blogspot.com,

maybe it will help.

15. Entrepreneur Help profile image62
    Entrepreneur Helpposted 14 years ago

WOW!  This is quick feedback.  I really appreciate all of feedback you all are providing.  Have a Merry Christmas.  Donnie

16. Jumpness profile image60
    Jumpnessposted 14 years ago

Passionate is the biggest one in my opinion. Read the book "The E-Myth Revisited." There is a chapter in there about employees. I LOVE IT. It changed my whole perspective on the interview process.

17. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

skill

18. LRobbins profile image44
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

Attitude, you can train for skills, but if the attitude (can-do) is not there it's not going to be.

19. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

A Pulse smile

20. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

innovativeness, capacity to learn new ideas

one who will give savings to the company

flexibility time hours rendered

21. walkin profile image60
    walkinposted 14 years ago

Following in the same order

1) Job Skills
    2) Loyalty
    3) Patience
    4) Communication Skills

22. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

A Heart Beat smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)