jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

SUGGESTION: Notify followers of hub updates

1. Vitallani profile image86
    Vitallaniposted 4 years ago

As we can update our hubs, I think it would be a good idea if you had the option to notify hubbers who are following that hub if there are any updates to the text or additional picture, etc.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image92
    Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago

Good idea, as long as you have the option to let them know and not the other way around. I'd feel very paranoid, being watched as I edit a hub.

Vitallaniposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It should also be an optional thing to notify your followers, because, they are not going to want to be updated every time you change a word on the hub. You would only notify if significant changes were made.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image92
        Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

True. Similar to how Wikipedia and wikis work, then. There would be options to notify people when small or large updates are made.

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

It would also be vital to let followers opt-out. I already get an email pretty well every day from HP telling me about new hubs, plus a fairly frequent newsletter. I really do not want any more HP emails.

In fact, what would be good would be for people to be given an inbox on this very site for all such stuff, rather than sending it out by email. In that way, we could choose when to look at these messages rather than have them clagging up our real email.

Yes, that would be a good idea.

2. alphagirl profile image78
      alphagirlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Can a title or something like a banner show an update and the number of times with the date of change?

4. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

What's wrong with the current re-sharing option???

I'm not aware of that. What is it?

2. Haunty profile image85
      Hauntyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Re-sharing doesn't tell us the Hub was updated. In fact, considering just how many use it for spamming, Hubbers shouldn't be given the option to share their own Hubs at all.

I believe WryLilt is referring to the floaty stuff that says "HubPages Followers" right below the social networking links. If you click that on a Hub, it will be shared in the feed of your followers.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

1. WryLilt profile image86
          WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've personally never used it because:

I really doubt more than 10% of my followers read my work.

My money comes from search engines not followers.

2. Vitallani profile image86
        Vitallaniposted 4 years ago

Getting people to read your work doesn't have to be about making money. For me, I want my work noticed and to get good reviews/comments, so I have a following when I'm sending my work to publishers/agents.

I would be too embarassed to include a Hubpage in a portfolio. It's a well known low quality content farm.

If you write something that is of high quality, then the quality of what others write should not matter.

Yes, but it looks more professional to give them a word file... Hubpages content is not "published".

3. WorkAtHomeMums profile image87
        WorkAtHomeMumsposted 4 years ago via iphone

There are some people who I see constantly sharing hubs. Yes they are other peoples hubs but they appear in my feed and take over from what I really want to see. If I wanted to see those hubs I'd follow those people. Once every now and then is fine if a hub stands out but not all day every day. So I stop following them. It's almost like spam in my opinion. As per this initial suggestion I'd only want to know if the changes were significant content updates not just re-writes or cleanups. Like Wrylilt said I too probably have a tiny portion of my followers read my hubs in fact the stats prove it. It's search engines that like me most of the time and whilst i would love feedback or comments at the end of the day it is search engines that matters for the long term.

1. Haunty profile image85
          Hauntyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can relate to that. Having reduced the number of people that I follow to 12, I expected that my feed should experience some kind of relief, but NO! Why? Because it's clogged up with shares by and from people I do NOT follow. How do you stop THAT?!

Anyway, I support this suggestion of being able to notify people of significant Hub updates or corrections, because this is something that can be controlled. The notification is either justifiable or not, and it's easy to decide. If someone abuses it I would just block the person, which is not something you can do with re-sharers. Besides, I'm certain a lot of re-sharers do what they do in good faith, oblivious to how annoying it is.

working