HubPages Site Outage Friday Morning

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone!

I want to apologize for the site troubles we had this morning. Our main data center had an outage this morning that impacted all of HubPages.com.

Your traffic stats and earnings will most likely be lower today because of the outage. 

We work hard to keep the site available and are disappointed that something outside of our control caused the site issues today.

According to Jay Reitz, who we all have to thank for seeing the site come back so quickly, the datacenter is reporting that the outage was caused by some corruption in a routing process running on one of their two core routers.  They're following up with the vendor and trying to determine how the corruption occurred and how to prevent it in the future.

We will update you when we have more information, but in the meantime, I want to thank all of you for your patience and concern. Rest assured we do everything we can to keep hiccups like this to a minimum!

At any rate, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6842799.png
    Outages... heheheheh.... ^_^;;

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Outage?  Problems?  Sorry, Simone...I was, ahem...busy doing other things and didn't notice.  sad        Well, happy that all's well that ends well.  smile   
      Enjoy your weekend.

1. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now THAT'S what I like to hear!!! Yeehaw!!!  big_smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
          Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Deborah Brooks profile image60
      Deborah Brooksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much For doing are you could get it up .   I really appreciate Your hard work.

3. tammyswallow profile image89
      tammyswallowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting us know that. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Darn, I missed it. big_smile

Thanks for posting. Like others, I thought my traffic drop meant that I was finally doomed. Glad it ain't so. smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the information. It's nice to be kept informed when these thing happen.

3. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Thanks so much for informing all of us here about what had happened.  Appreciate you very much.  Hooray for Jay!

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

I'm an early riser-- so I did notice that the site was unavailable.( Dang those core router outage things... though I have no idea what they are) but I knew you would be back.
    Thanks for the update, smile

5. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 11 years ago

Thought my major traffic drop was Google related. Looks like it was not, thank god. I am still holding my breath, though.

1. LucidDreams profile image64
      LucidDreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought so also, I am hoping it is just Hubpages and the traffic does come back. Looking at my daily stats for Hubpages, I was freaking out a bit.

2. scoop profile image82
      scoopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may be Google related because Google made changes to their algorithm, again. Other sites are reporting a drop in traffic too. The changes seem to have went into effect on Friday.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One seems to be happening now, but shouldn't affect hubbers.

http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts-ju … ge-2012-09

3. Novel Treasure profile image89
      Novel Treasureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought the same thing, so it's good to know that it was only a temporary drop...well hopefully smile

6. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

Thanks for letting us know! Looks like my traffic problems are coming from all sides! Oh well...it'll all work out in the end. Enjoy your weekend!

7. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

I missed the outage this morning, but I'm glad to hear it's all good now.  Thanks for letting us know, Simone.  smile

8. cclitgirl profile image93
    cclitgirlposted 11 years ago

Aww, who doesn't get hiccups from time to time?  Thanks for all the hard work in getting things back up and running.  smile

9. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

Thanks for letting us know. It is always nice to know what is happening.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. The "oops" messages I got today when I was editing and the sluggish results make sense now. Thanks for keeping us informed. That is very much appreciated.
      Peg

10. twentyfive profile image78
    twentyfiveposted 11 years ago

Thank you so much for telling us smile

11. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Gee, I just thought it was my computer!  I blame everything on my computer....

12. Azure11 profile image85
    Azure11posted 11 years ago

When I worked in IT in a largish company we had many external client liaison websites and if any of those had gone down for 4 hours we would have been in big trouble. Hence we had a disaster recovery and back up plan to get them back online ASAP. Much as I appreciate that people would have made a big effort to get the site back up, firstly why did it take so long, secondly why was there no communication from any of the HubPages team pretty much until the problem being fixed and thirdly are other measures being put in place to make sure this doesn't happen again?

The reason this really affected me was because once every 2 years my traffic multiplies by 10 for 4-5 days and this of course was the day it should have started doing this :-(

HubPages is one of the biggest sites out there, surely it should not have been able to go down for 4 hours?!

13. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

Lost around 15% of my traffic that day sad But, thanks for the info smile I was on when the site was out

14. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 11 years ago

Looks like you people in the USA were lucky it happened in early hours.  Here in Malaysia it was peak hours from late afternoon till night.  Got me worried, as I was editing my hub and it failed to complete when I hit "done". Only managed to open this morning!!
    Thanks for the info.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But we receive traffic globally, so it was still a loss of traffic/earnings regardless of it being the wee hours on the US west coast.

I was very surprised a staff response was not issued at an earlier time.  It would have been nice to know what happened.  In my three years here, the site has never been unavailable for over 4 hours, only for short maintenance time periods.  It's great to have it up and running again, but if there should be a next time, please let us know sooner than later. Thanks!

15. rfmoran profile image72
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

I am shocked at the tepid response and cavalier attitude from Hubpages to this problem. Simone Smith contacts us some 12 hours AFTER the event to blame it on Cisco. Has anyone given an explanation to the broader HP community, not just people on the Apprenticeship program? It appears that management chooses to let the wee folk handle the problem by chatting among ourselves. Will any further explanation be forthcoming, or are we left with the report that Cisco did it so don't blame Hubpages?

1. Doc Sonic profile image74
      Doc Sonicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand your frustration about the outage, but what more is there to explain? Simone has told us what happened, why it happened, and that they are working to put systems in place to prevent it from happening again in the future. She also apologized on behalf of HP. Like you, I think it would've helped to get the information out sooner, but other than that I don't know what else they should've done.

16. internpete profile image86
    internpeteposted 11 years ago

Thanks for keeping us updated about this.

17. scoop profile image82
    scoopposted 11 years ago

I don't think the outage had much effect on traffic. Google did another change to their algorithm, and many other sites have experienced a big drop in traffic. It's really unfortunate.

18. scoop profile image82
    scoopposted 11 years ago

I still think its Google related. There other articles on sites that are reporting major drop in traffic  I think Google went a bit overboard with this latest update hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hopefully it will sort itself out soon smile

19. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/434430934_2e6425eef1.jpg

20. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I just thought it was my crappy internet connection again big_smile

21. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I don't know who wrote this piece, but it is interesting. http://expertscolumn.com/content/anothe … thm-change

I thought it was just my more successful subdomains that had been hit, but it's not. It is across the board, so the site as a whole has been badly hit again.

Here we go again.

In case anyone missed it, Greekgeek posted the latest Quantcast results - http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

Let's hope it is only temporary.

1. Just History profile image67
      Just Historyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My second sub domain has collapsed! The main account is ok ish just 20 per cent down- here we go again

1. Just History profile image67
        Just Historyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

whoops was in the wrong account when I posted, sorry

It is this account that has colapsed- Case1worker seems to be  20 per cent down

2. Azure11 profile image85
        Azure11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My second account has also collapsed from 2000 a day to 100+ right from when the outage hit. This is what I was afraid of.

22. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I've seen Hubpages connection hiccup this morning, kimberlie. If it caught you while you were editing, you may need to copy whatever you've written to a space window, close the hub editor and navigate back to it to get things reset. If that doesn't work try logging out and logging in again.

What's odd is that the outage was on Friday, yet my daily traffic was also down by 2/5 on Saturday. Or were stats stuck?

I am really not liking the look of Hubpages traffic this week on Quantcast. Hope it's just a temporary sag.

ETA: cue twilight zone music; the post I was replying to seems to have disappeared.

And while I'm at it -- expertscolumn.com is a very low-paying imititation of the Hubpages/Squidoo/Infobarrel model, so anyone could have posted that article. i would take it with a grain of salt, since it cites no official posts from Google or people who generally know what's going on in the SEO world. It might be true, but I want more evidence.

It claims there was a Google algorithm change Friday, but that's not the whole story. Friday's algorithm change only targeted exact phrase domain names with lousy content. For example, someone might register a domain like "cheap-t-shirts.com" and then create a landing page with nothing but Adsense blocks on it, trying to cash in on a popular search.

Source:
    http://searchengineland.com/low-quality … get-134889

I haven't seen any SEO news source say that the exact-match algo change also targeted subdomains, and even if it did, by and large, I think most hubbers aren't doing lousy content + an exact phrase match for their username. So HP should be immune from that Google algo tweak.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for that info, Greekgeek smile

I must admit that the latest algo change should not have affected hubbers, yet it seemed to, as the traffic drop happened on the same day.

But judging by this thread, http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/104227 , it has just been an accidental time collision that an algo change happened at the same time as a site change that may have impacted traffic.

Fingers crossed the unravelling of the changes work!

23. scoop profile image82
    scoopposted 11 years ago

I doubt that Hubpages was immune from this tweak. Many other sites, including sub-domains have felt the impact of this recent Google change. Check out the official Google forum, and you will see plenty of website owners, with top level domains and with no keywords in their domain name, complain that their sites have dropped within Google search results.

Unfortunately, nobody, not even SEO experts, can say for sure what is going on and what sort of sites have been affected due to this Google update. They can only speculate. Sure, Google said exact domain names would be the main target this time around, but judging from the decrease in traffic on many different sites, including sub-domains, I think this Google update went a bit too far. hmm

1. Mmargie1966 profile image84
      Mmargie1966posted 11 years ago

Thanks for the update.  I was wondering what in the world happened!! ?

2. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the update Simone.  I know that if the site is down it hurts everyone, so know that you guys at headquarters do everything within your power to avoid glitches like this.  Cute photo of consternation on your face!  smile

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

No worries, I am sure HP will be compensating us all financially for the lost hours as a goodwill gesture wink

1. Rik Ravado profile image85
        Rik Ravadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point, misty. I'll tip Paypal off to expect a hefty transfer in the next 24 hours! smile

4. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 11 years ago

Well my traffic has halved on this account and my other 2....ah well!

5. brettb profile image61
      brettbposted 11 years ago

My Google traffic is 90% down and I can't see it ever recovering.

What's the problem? Well there's just much better content out there these days.

6. dhannyya profile image80
      dhannyyaposted 11 years ago

my traffic also have been reduced to 50% after 28th sep....

7. Azure11 profile image85
      Azure11posted 11 years ago

I'm not surprised that a lot of people's traffic is down - surely if hubpages was down for 4 hours Google would pick up that a page that you were trying to find didn't exist and relegate it in the rankings. From what I have read if you back page from a google search very quickly (which you would obviously do if you got a page does not exist error like what happened on Friday) then you would be downgraded.  We just have to hope that Google forgives us at some point I guess (and it doesn't happen again...)

1. WannaB Writer profile image86
        WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that explains why I'm only getting a fraction of my traffic this week.

1. Imogen French profile image85
          Imogen Frenchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

me too - traffic reduced to around half of its usual level in the past week. And it seems to be getting worse. What is going on? Hope it improves for all of us soon smile

8. Doodlehead profile image46
      Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

Mine was moderate over the weekend and completely crapped out today.  I think I'm finished.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)