Freedom from Forums

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

I jumped into WebAnswers a few weeks ago. I find I get plenty of WebAnswers help there from the community, although there are no forums. Community help is structured through questions and answers, so, no religion and politics and no just-for-fun discussions. It's all about business. I feel I'm getting work done, with respectful community support. Refreshing.

What would you think if HP limited their forums to HP user-focused technical and business issues?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What!?! And never get to see another one of these...? big_smile
      http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4620771_f520.jpg

Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You always shed a ray of sunlight on a gloomy day. smile

2. Dan Barfield profile image74
        Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That picture is awesome! Love it!

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I don't think HubPages should do away with forums. So many people get a lot of benefit from them, even the trolls and never-do-wellers. If anything, the forums get these people off the streets.We could look at the forums as a community service. But, it's our own choice to participate in the forums or not. If we don't like what's going on in a room, we can just leave. And, I have been known to leave - even when I'm the one who starts the forum. Once things get muddled, like at any other party, I leave. My demeanor can't take all of the name calling, finger pointing, and various other demeaning nonsense that goes on in many forums.

Like you, I enjoy Web Answers and wish people here at HubPages would see a question and then answer it. I once asked a question about how to go about cleaning a recreation vehicle. I was hoping to get a legitimate answer to help me tackle that job. Instead I got nonsense answers. One person went as far as to tell me that my question was not controversal enough. What? Anyway, had I asked the question at Web Answers I would have learned what solutions to use and the best process to follow to get the job done. I'm partial to Web Answers just because I get good, solid answers to questions. It's not like that here.

You are a breath of fresh air.

Forums here invite snide, snarky stuff. And that's OK if your expectation is that you're going to have a joust. But, as you say, too often, a question that needs a practical answer gets ditched to somewhere else.

It is what it is, as they say.

2. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But to be fair to HubPages....

I too have recently started answering questions on WebAnswers, and there's a great deal that I like about it.  I like WA and HP for different purposes and in different ways.  But I have read some of the answers over there that have told me that WebAnswers did go through a period when they had a lot of people offering nonsense answers. WebAnswers has had its ups and downs and has found ways to deal with them, as far as I can see.  HubPages is dealing with other ups and downs. Maybe one day some of the forum problems with be a higher priority than they are now.  One can dream....

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't go that far.

My suggestion would be this.  When you go to the "Latest Activity" screen, there would be a drop down box where you could choose to view "Latest Activity in Official forums", "Latest Activity in Community Forums" and "Latest Activity in Category forums"

That way, those of us who are not interested in the Category forums could ignore them completely.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a wonderful idea and not too difficult to implement. (That's just a guess, actually.)  I hope they are listening!

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I think it would be foolish of HP to limit topics of forum discussion.  Many threads rank quite high in the search engines, this brings traffic to Hubpages, some of these readers wish to participate in the discussions so they sign up to HP.  Once here they may decide to produce hubs to get their point across more thoroughly.  If they do not decide to participate and sign up, perhaps they would find their way to reading hubs, this would create an opportunity for both HP and its users to receive additional traffic and possibly revenue.

Once signed up and producing hubs, Hubpages would be receiving revenue from their hubs.  So in a marketing sense, the HP forums are brilliant.  There are also members that enjoy taking part in religious and political threads as well as the never ending just-for-fun threads..  These users would not have the same experience here if the forums were diminished.

With all due respect, and you are not the only one that questions the subjects of the forums.  Why would you want to limit what other users are obviously enjoying just because YOU would prefer a different forum experience?  It is not mandatory to engage in any discussions on a forum, why would you just simply not participate and leave others to enjoy the experience?   If another forum is more to your liking, why not just post there?  I hope this does not come across as sarcasm, that is not my intent.  I am genuinely curious!

You didn't come across as sarcastic, RB. Maybe a bit argumentative. But you bring up good points about traffic, I guess (I'm not the traffic expert). It's just a question I posed here, because I'm finding WA an interesting and very different experience, not because it's a Q/A site as opposed to a "writing" site, but because the community behaves differently, most likely because that's the way the owners designed the site.

As you can see, I don't participate in the forums here very much. Every now and again, I'll contribute something I think might be helpful, but for the most part I don't engage, especially not to put YOU in capital letters. I do have an opinion, but it's not for me to impose it on anyone else. This is a conversation, that's all.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did not intend to be argumentative either sad

I used the capital "YOU" only to try and make the point that each individual would have different preferences and HP could never design a forum that would satisfy everyone.  It was for emphasis only.  smile

I do not participate in religious threads myself, but I understand that there are users that seem to enjoy these types of discussions.  Personally, I cannot even read through these threads without falling in to a massive bout of boredom.  I do not know the numbers, but I would be curious, how much of HP's traffic originate in the forums.

I enjoy civil discussions, I actually realize that I learn quite a bit from disagreement. Another point is that I have been motivated to write hubs based on forum discussions.  If suffering from writers block, a short time lurking through threads can easily ignite a passion to write.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2-KB-3XcYAnUfoXhJFNKB3bfQLYZrVKofLJDLiMqqhlgYadb_tQ

I find the religious, and the political forums as well, boring. I, too, wonder how much of HP's traffic originates in forums. Hey, if forum threads generate stuff that chips away at writer's block, that's a good thing. smile

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

The HP forums used to be a good place when they frequented mainly by people who were active as authors of hubs as well.

While religion/politics were always heated topics, it was quite different visiting those forums when it was possible to get to know the participants as individuals. I ended up following a number of people, with whose views I did not agree at all, but whom I came to respect as individuals because of the way they conducted themselves on the forums.

The current status of the forums is abysmal, with numerous trolls, who have no intention of ever producing a hub, opening endless numbers of pointless threads or chiming in on contentious and controversial topics in a way that is obviously aimed at s__t-stirring.

I consider that the forums as they stand today reflect very poorly on HP. Were I to come across this site through a forum thread found in a search, it is highly likely I would want nothing to do with the place.

I wouldn't go as far as Sally's Trove suggests with respect to forum topics, but I would love to see forum access limited to people who have produced some defined number of quality hubs. In addition, there could be a very strictly moderated "help" thread, open to all, which would be purely for obtaining practical help relating to hub production, feedback on hubs, and similar topics. This would allow newbies to ask pertinent questions concerning their problems here as hub authors.

Agreed. I think this idea has been proposed many, many times. Apparently to no avail.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WriteAngled, I couldn't say it better.  I agree with you completely.  I began to participate in the forums quite soon after showing up here, but I also write.  Much of my character and personality is revealed in my writing, and like you, I followed (or was followed) by folks with much different ideas from mine simply because we'd grown to respect each other through forum interaction as well as our hubs. 

I'm with you on this one.

smile

I didn't suggest going anywhere with forum topics. I just put a question out here.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

If there was a traffic/monetary reason for changing posting requirements (e.g., a threshold number of hubs) I'm sure HP would suggest that.
      As a frequent forum "gladiator" I see participation from all types -- from hubbers with 1,000+ hubs to seemingly obvious trolls/plants who do not intend to hub.
      And I'm ok with that.
      I also see posts with so much detailed information and thought-through logic that I wonder that the poster does not make a hub about the subject instead!

We do always have the option of staying away from the forums.
      Can always post and/or answer questions as a more focused, genteel way to "talk shop" without the vitriol.
      smile
      MM

Vitriol, great word. Vitriol is scarcely there in the Q&A interchanges on HP, while it is often found in the forums. I wonder if the folks who participate in Q&A don't often participate in forums, and the other way around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)