24 Hours For Ads? Yeah Right!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

I don't often moan but even I am getting a bit fed up of the 'waiting' period. I thought it was 24 hours? I have recently published a hub that, by the time the ads come up, everybody who is going to read it has read it, in other words any chance of ad clicks has disappeared. Please can you either put the ads straight on, or at least keep to the 24 hours, my hub was written on monday, its now wednesday night! A long time over 24 hours! getting slightly peeved now! and no I haven't gone into the hub to change anything! I have left it alone since writing it. Thats it, moan over! Anybody else getting peed off?

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nell! Only going by my own experience here but the only people who visit my non-featured hubs before they go 'live' are hubbers. And they aren't going to click on ads. I take the long view... what's a few days when the hub will exist for (hopefully) years, attracting (more hopefully) Google traffic.

1. teaches12345 profile image76
        teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed the missing ad displays on my last post.  At least I know it is not just me!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you've quite understood how the system is working, Nell.

When you first publish your Hub, it has a tag attached telling Google to ignore it ("no follow").  So during that time (i.e the first 24 hours, but could be longer), the only people who will know your Hub exists are your followers.  They're not likely to click on ads anyway.

If your Hub is approved, you'll see a big "H" next to it on your Account page, the ads will appear and the Hub is visible to search engines.  If there's no "H", the Hub hasn't passed the QAP, it's still "no follow" and there's no point in having ads on it, because you won't be getting any visitors.

If you're sending out links to friends, posting on Facebook etc, the thing to do is wait until you see the H appear before you do that.

Nell Roseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marissa, I understand, it was just that normally by now I would have got the big H, just wondered why it still hadn't happened.

2. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 11 years ago

I don't know why followers would be less likely to click on ads than others, as Marisa says above?

followers are not supposed to click on other peoples ads because its against the rules. The reason being, I would imagine is that the 'tit for tat' thing may happen, but I am sure we all do it sometimes if we spot something we like, but its not really allowed.

1. aa lite profile image86
        aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is true, but if you have HP ads turned on, you earn mostly from them rather than Adsense ads, and you earn by impressions.  My impression is the program doesn't discriminate between hubbers and non-hubbers.  Before ads were turned off on pending hubs,  when you published a hub, your followers come to read it and you used to earn from these impressions.  Now you don't.

Although taking the long term view, 1000 impressions earns between $2-5 so I guess your not missing out on that much money.  Unless you have thousands of followers and they religiously read everything you publish.  Most people hope hubs will earn a lot more than that over time from organic search, but I agree it is annoying.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Exactly. If the bulk of your visitors are your followers, then you're hardly making money anyway.

Good point Marisa, it was just annoying thats all. I do earn from google traffic so its not too bad, I just liked the old system! lol!

2. tillsontitan profile image83
        tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's right Nell.  I recently read where Simone said it was okay to click on ads in other hubbers hubs if you really want to order something.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
          fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd double check that info with one or two others associated with HP people "in the know."  I say this because there are 2 hubbers that I know of who were rendered totally useless in terms of making money....ANY money, ever again, BECAUSE ANOTHER HUBBER CLICKED ON HIS ADS NUMEROUS TIMES.... The other hubber was banned entirely, due to the same reason.    I never trust what I hear without digging deeper......better safe than sorry?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

It's OK to click on an another Hubber's ad if you are genuinely interested in it. 

The Hubbers you mention got into trouble because they were repeatedly clicking on ads - not because they had a genuine interest in the item for sale, but because they wanted to generate ad income for the other Hubber.   If Google thinks you're encouraging people to click on your ads to create artificial income, you will lose your Adsense account forever.

That's why it's generally safer to tell friends not to click on your ads, because they are so inclined to think they're being helpful by clicking on them more than they really need to - and that's dangerous.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image79
              Marina Lazarevicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. There is a difference between clicking on an ad out of genuine interest, as Marisa says, and intentionally clicking on ads to boost yours/someone else's earnings. Google detects this (fairly easily) and will ban from AdSense. The AdSense Help Center is a great resource for these types of questions.

Hi Marina, yeah this wasn't really the question, I just really wanted to know why my hub was still waiting and going through the holding period of the hub three days later compared to 24 hours? it still has no ads, I was aware of the 'no clicking' of the ads obviously. I just wanted to know why my hub is still waiting nearly 4 days later now, thanks

Which Hub was it? I'll check and see what happened there. 3 days is on the long side.

2. Nell Rose profile image90

Thanks for clearing that up guys, but it seems that the pending thing has got stuck anyway, mine still hasn't cleared even though its got up to 80 on the read scale! ho hum!

2. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's OK to click on Amazon Ads - as there is no benefit unless a sale is actually made.....clicking on Google Ads is a big no no!

3. Huntgoddess profile image67
        Huntgoddessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sheesh!! I never even knew about that rule. Where does it say that?

I hardly ever click anything anyway, because I have no time or $$ to do so. But, I might have clicked here and there. I had no clue.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because other hubbers are not allowed to click on each others ads.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I just noticed an additional change to do with our ads. on hubs.  I hope Nell will not mind me adding the link here in case the official announcement  gets missed.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/106648

Oh my goodness! this just confuses me more! I never took any notice of this, I thought it was automatic!

1. Huntgoddess profile image67

I agree. It's kind of getting bizarre.

I have a learning disability. There's just simply NO WAY I could understand all this, assuming I even had the time, which I don't.

I'm actually becoming slightly less interested in writing for Hubpages each day. Not that I ever cared about the money anyway, but I'm feeling scared and creeped out by their new slightly totalitarian regime.

I hope they don't ban me for saying that.

If so ---- adieu, kind friends and Hubbers :-))

Write good English :-) Make lots of $$$ :-)) Perhaps we will meet again? In a new freelance universe where Google is uninvolved.

1. Huntgoddess profile image67

PS:  I know that "write good" is ungrammatical. That was the joke.

Don't hate me.

Hi Hunt, lol! don't worry, we all get confused with it, I just looked and for some reason beyond me, my stupid hub is Still Pending! theres nothing wrong with it, so what the fog is going on?!!!

1. theraggededge profile image98
              theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nell, have you edited it since first publish? Editing keeps it in pending longer.

Hi ragged, no, not touched it, maybe they don't want me to have ads on it. never mind, I will just forget it now. but it was a puzzle.

Nell, is your Hub still pending? Editing restarts the 24-hour clock on pending mode, but it sounds like you did not make any. So that we can confirm what happened, which Hub is it that you're referring to?

4. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 11 years ago

Looks like I have more work cut out for me. Is any of these in the Learning Center to understand it better?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)