jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Starting Again

1. 0
    blatvaposted 3 years ago

Hello, all.    I've been on Hubpages for a few years now,  but I've realized that I really want to try and improve (or change) the way that I write. My plan, for now, is to take down my hubs, go through them, and try to find

1.  Ones that I like, and might not need to change too much on
    2.  Ones that I like, but maybe need to totally overhaul.
    3.  Ones that I feel don't belong.

Once I do all of this, I was hoping to rewrite some, and then republish them.  But I'm not entirely sure if that will be possible (Namely, if it's allowed, I suppose?).

I've just kind of... come to terms with the fact that I've gone through a lot this past year, and I feel like maybe I need to start again. Like, I need to try a bit harder.

So, I think my cry for help is this:  Am I allowed to take down a hub, totally re-work it, and submit it again at a later date?  Is it alright to start again?  Or do I need to make a new account, all together?

I apologize if my question seems silly or totally unneeded, I haven't been active lately and I find the layout extremely changed,  so I'm also not sure if this is the right forum, all together.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for reading all of this.

2. rontlog profile image89
    rontlogposted 3 years ago

I don't think you need a new account.
    Re reworking hubs - I have done this in the past.
    I have unpublished hubs in the past, reworked them and then republished them - only becuase it was taking me a long time and was a messy job.
    I would say if you are going to make minor changes, and it won't take much time, keep the hub published and just edit it.

1. 0
      blatvaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've actually just finished going through all of them and... honestly,  I'm not sure I'll keep much of the original content at all haha  ^-^''''  Re-reading it,  I don't recognize myself in it. It's strange...

It's a tough pill to swallow, but I feel like it needs to be done, I suppose.  I'm getting older, and I want to present myself in a different way...

I guess I just worry about a lot of things.  I love this site, and I love my page... I just don't want to make a mistake, I guess...

Sorry about talking your ear off   o_o  well, typing. rambling, really...

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

I see you've already taken down any hubs.  This can cause a problem unless you have already checked for any stolen material and gotten it removed as rewriting a hub and republishing it could result in the thief now "owning" the hub.  Without a truly substantial re-write yours will be the copy, not theirs.

You might want to reconsider and re-publish those hubs immediately, checking for duplicates anywhere before they are removed from the google cache.

1. 0
      blatvaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It honestly hadn't crossed my mind at great length...

My hope is to re-write quite substantially, to the point that it no longer resembles to prattling of my 19 year old self. Out of the 40 hubs that I went through, only 6 or 7 really felt something close to my own. And with those, it's only the subject that still interests me, not the way it was written...

This may come off as quite naive, but... do people really steal hubs in that manner? I mean, how could they get away with it at all?

Sorry, I realize those are stupid questions, I guess I just feel a bit frazzled. I expected... Well, I don't know what I expected. I guess I hoped I could start over, clean slate style. But maybe it won't be possible,  I don't know...

By the way, thank you for your advice on this.  I don't feel very knowledgeable in this area

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I can't see any of your Hubs but I'm guessing they were either fairly personal, or they were fiction?

If they were creative writing, then I'd say you've done the right thing by taking them down.   We're always growing as writers - every time we write, we get a little bit better at it.  For that reason, most successful novelists have thrown out far more words than they've published!

4. A Driveby Quipper profile image60
    A Driveby Quipperposted 3 years ago

Why not try a better venue?

5. Saloca profile image88
    Salocaposted 3 years ago

There are old hubs of mine that I'm not 110% on, and when I look at them I see they need re-working, but I wouldn't take them down. I'd keep them there, edit offline and update them with my changes etc. I've been doing it over the weekend with a few of my hubs and feel better for it. I feel the more time I spend on hubpages the more I'm learning and the more I learn the more I can implement into not only my hubs but my old ones too.

I know what you mean about not really 'hearing' yourself in your work, I get that a lot, but I really like going over my old stuff, saving what I can and re-writing most of it to my new voice/personal writing standards.

Re-use and recycle would be my advice, maybe there is a better platform out there for some of your work? A blog maybe?