How Do I Compare?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. TimArends profile image87
    TimArendsposted 11 years ago

Is there a way of comparing my average hub traffic to that of the average hubber so I can know either that I’m 1) doing all right and should feel pretty good about things, or 2) lagging behind the average hubber and therefore need to redouble my efforts.

Either scenario could lead to good things. This will tell me if I'm doing things right or if I need to adjust my HubPages strategy.

1. CloudExplorer profile image77
      CloudExplorerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe try checking out folks accolades here, its a good way to gauge oneself amongst their peers on hubpages, and the only verifiable method to do so, without asking people directly. Them accolades are there to motivate us all, the number of hubs a person writes isn't as important, but it doesn't hurt to have tons of high quality articles neither.

In any event Good luck bro, and thanks for starting such a cool forum post. If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to look me up on Facebook or elsewhere, and I'll be glad to share whatever ideas I have that works best for me with you. Have a wonderful day or evening budd.

2. Theophanes profile image89
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

I don't think there is an average hubber.... what I mean by that is we all write about different subjects. Some of us can write one article that gets thousands of hits on a regular basis, others like myself have to write a lot of Hubs and just watch the overall traffic increase. Of course some topics are far more commercial than others and do a lot better. You can always target these topics for your own Hubs if you want to maximize what you earn, otherwise it is good just to be happy to get a little chnage for something you're doing at least partially for your own enjoyment.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point, Theophanes!

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Unless you happen to also find another author who has been here for two years, only has five Hubs, and those Hubs happen to be the same age and subjects as yours... comparing isn't going to be very meaningful.  There is no "average" here because we all write differently on diverse subjects and engage in wildly contrasting promotional efforts too.

You need to look at your own results over time and see if you are achieving your goals.  When I was starting, my first goals were just along the lines of doubling traffic.  Each time I hit my goal, I bumped it up.  Then came a time when my goal was to have a certain number of Hubs.  Then I played around with earnings goals.  Then a new number of Hubs goal.  Then traffic again.

I've adjusted and changed a lot of goals over my 6+ years here.  But it works, and looking at my own account growth over time is way more meaningful than comparing to someone whose account doesn't resemble the size, topics or age of mine.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, relache. smile

2. TimArends profile image87
      TimArendsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's AWAYS an average. An average is defined simply as "the result obtained by adding several quantities together and then dividing this total by the number of quantities."

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mathematically, there is always a numerical objective average, but there are a lot of human individual variables in this equation.
        On the more philosophical side, we shouldn't measure our value by comparing ourselves to the whole mass of variable individuals with variable goals, variable talents, variable motivations, etc.
        "Average"  gives people an unrealistic comparison, that is meaningless in relation to what they are personally trying to accomplish.
        As far as traffic goes-- some go up quickly-- some have a show and steady pace, others have flashes of brilliance  or occasional lapses.  Part of it is related to learning the ropes, some due to the whims and variables of other forces.

2. aa lite profile image85
        aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have heard that the average traffic for hubs is around 50 views a week.  Mind you I have a couple that get several thousands a month, and some that get 5.  Hence averages really don't mean very much. 

Personally I care about the hubs that get a lot of traffic, every hub I write could potentially become one of the >1000, a month, although a few hundred a month will not disappoint me either.  Occasionally this will happen, a lot of the time it won't but that's ok.  If a hub "doesn't work" for some reason, I forget about it and move to the next one.  Perhaps one day I will revisit the failures and see whether I can figure out why they didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but for now I accept that some are just not going to succeed.

Of course I also have hubs that are very "niche" but I enjoyed writing for one reason or another, and even if these get few views, I still think they were worth  writing if they help people find out about a topic I care about.  But these are written for personal satisfaction rather than profit.

3. aa lite profile image85
      aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Relache, how come you have yellow background, while Simone's is normal.  Have you switched roles????

4. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

If either scenario could lead to good things, either try both simultaneously (if possible) to see which works best...or...choose the scenario with the worst outcome of the two...see the results...and move onward.  Don't rush a good thing.  Take every precaution for best security.  Don't jump the gun, so to speak, just because you may be eager to complete a project.

5. socialmarketing7 profile image60
    socialmarketing7posted 10 years ago

Solid point there! Well said!

6. srsddn profile image89
    srsddnposted 10 years ago

I think it will be difficult to define average traffic. It varies from Hub to Hub and individual to individual. I feel it is basically the satisfaction one derives from the visibility reflected through traffic. Being new to HP I would feel satisfied if my Hub is viewed and commented upon by some. May be I will expect more traffic in future.

1. socialmarketing7 profile image60
      socialmarketing7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah true it varies significantly from hubs to hubs as well as profiles. I am still looking for ways to increase my traffic for my hubs.

7. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

I agree that there is no such thing as "average" traffic.  I continue to be surprised when some articles go viral and others just sit there, not doing much.  A comparison to others is not useful in my opinion because we are all so different.  If you want to increase your traffic, I recommend you use social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

8. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 10 years ago

Social media like F*C*BOOK .... hum....what kind of TRAFFIC are you looking for?  You fill in the blanks.

9. drpennypincher profile image86
    drpennypincherposted 10 years ago

You could get a very rough gauge of how you are doing by comparing yourself with peers through information available from profiles.  Look at profiles to find peers who have similar topics, number of hubs, and have been around about the same amount of time.  Then you can see if they have a badge for 1k, 10k, 100k, visits etc. to get a rough idea of the level of traffic your peers have achieved.

10. yupperclub profile image60

Really not interested in peers...don't personally care for social media.  Found it to be a bunch of malarky...to each his own, I suppose.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I agree with you - it would be nice to see the numbers to know how you compare.  I think we are smart enough to realize that there are lots of factors that go into the numbers and make adjustments for that.

12. yupperclub profile image60

Wish everyone thought that way.  But what can you do?  Some people are just mindless, I guess, and do not care to be uniquely individual - they just follow the crowd for almost no reason - no reasoning.  Usually, unfortunately, for money only - and nothing more.  What are they going to do with so much money without mindfulness or love or the other things that are so important in life.  And like the authorities would let them get away with it anyway!  I just can't figure.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I base it on number of words.  I know what my average words per article is and I have so far tracked down 34 other hubbers who have a similar average. Then I plot all their accolades into a spreadsheet and rank in order.

I am 17th out of 34.

Although if I apply a weighting for number of years on HP I am down to 19th.

14. yupperclub profile image60

Too complicated for me...and I think you mean "words" - "are" ...minor grammatical error there.  I you want to put so much into it, that's great.  Is there a tool you use or do you do it yourself?  Like for keyword research, I found keyword project manager to be the best.  Can you recommend a tool like that?  Or am I missing something already available through Hubpages?  Whenever...that might be a good post for this conversation.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good grammar spot there. I am horrified.  I just use a lot of hard work and time - checking out other Hubbers pages and feeding the results into a spreadsheet. It's all manual.

I made a mistake the other night and got so annoyed the nurses had to give me extra sedation.

Not sure whether "is" and "are" will drive me over the edge tonight.  Lol and slightly odd smiley face.

15. yupperclub profile image60

Maybe you should try programming...program your tool and offer it in a Hub or recommend it to HubPages staff...maybe they will "work for hire" your program.  Let them know your idea!  Maybe they can even help....just check on copyright issue - I'm not sure if it would be copyright (limited time) or patent.  Somehow contact Hubpages staff or tell them you would like to get in touch with someone in AUTHORITY about a patent idea.  I think that would be the way to go.  Not real sure - just am sure copyright is only for a limited time.  Programming is really very easy - but get in touch with some pros who may be able to just WHIP IT OUT in no time!  Good luck!

16. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

What an "average" hubber is hard to pinpoint. We all write on different topics, have different amount of hubs published, have different traffic quantity, and different earnings. Don't expect to make thousands a month or even hundreds. That probably won't happen but then again that is based on my own experience. I'd be happy with any amount I make because anything is better than nothing.

17. yupperclub profile image60

DUH...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)