jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Weird links in Hub content?: Check your computer for malware

1. Bruce Feierabend profile image81
    Bruce Feierabendposted 3 years ago

I'm new here and not sure if this is a bug or what. I went onto my new hub from another person's computer and not signed in to see what it looks like from another perspective when I noticed that links had been inserted into my text. It doesn't appear when I am signed in. It gives the appearance that I inserted those links. What's up with this? Or did I do it without knowing it?

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd scan your computer for viruses or trojans. There are some trojans that take over a browser and add advertising links to text - does this only occur on one browser? Try a different browser and see if you get the same problem.

2. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd do what SimeyC recommends. We don't automatically insert links into Hubs...

3. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Bruce,  As Simey and Simone have both pointed out, this is almost always a result of malware on your computer.
      The best place to start is to disable every browser extension.  Then do a malware scan.

2. LCDWriter profile image96
    LCDWriterposted 3 years ago

Can you screenshot what you are seeing?

1. To Start Again profile image85
      To Start Againposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think I know what he's talking about. I've seen them, too. I thought maybe it was part of the ad program or something.

It's in the text, a random blue word and when you hover over it, its a link to an ad-not a related site. It was similar to that other ad affiliate we had here years ago. It started with a K but I can't remember the exact name...

3. Bruce Feierabend profile image81

I'm glad it happened to someone else or I'd think I was going crazy. They're gone now. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out if it happens again and take the screenshot.

4. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 3 years ago

Sometimes those blue link ads can sneak on when going from IE to Chrome, to use one example. If that is the case then go to your toolbar where you should see the culprit and be able to delete it.

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Sounds like malware.

6. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

This usually has to do with ads. Some ad platforms choose certain keywords in the article/text and turn them into links. The words are blue in color and sometimes underlined. When a user hovers over those words they see relevant ads that they can later click on. I have not seen anything like this on Hub Pages though aside from hubbers taking certain keywords in the hubs and turning them into links that take visitors to other hubs (whether theirs or someone else's).

7. Bruce Feierabend profile image81

I don't know if it's possible my anit-virus program just hadn't caught them yet or what, but they're gone now and haven't come back. Scan didn't show anything. Thanks all!

Closed to reply