jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

"Aha" Moments of Hubbing/Online Writing

1. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

What made the light bulb come on and those insights start to make sense? yikes List three things that you consider "aha" moments as a hubber/online writer that have contributed to your making real progress on HP.

Mine were:
    1. Titles can make or break my hub.
    2. It's not about me; I have to think like a searcher, not a writer.
    3. My hubber ego and sense of belonging need validation from the HP community but organic traffic is my real friend. smile

1. JG11Bravo profile image94
      JG11Bravoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Let''s see...
      1. Accolades and other recognition motivate the heck out of me (On my 3rd Editor's Choice, and I'd have quit if I didn't see that sort of acknowledgement.)
      2. Put in the work and quality will reflect it.  The opposite is also true.
      3. Good formatting and placement make ALL the difference.

2. Jodah profile image87
      Jodahposted 2 years ago in reply to this

1. Things I know about actually interest others.
      2. Praise and encouragement from fellow hubbers are the greatest motivation.
      3. I realised I can successfully write in more forms than just poetry.

3. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 2 years ago in reply to this

1.  Writing hubs about overdone topics invokes a death knell for traffic.

2.  Short fiction can draw organic traffic over time.

3.  Oft-edited hubs draw more interest from Google than those that sit untouched.

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Very wise.  Those are the three fundamental truths about HubPages, IMO (and about writing online in general). It's surprising how long it takes some folks to learn them - so well done!

2. 0
    epsonok0posted 2 years ago

1. A grammar check every now and then wont kill me.
    2. If I learn to listen instead of get mad, some advice could help me.
    3. Sometimes the most amazing people come out of nowhere and into your online life.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 2 years ago

We are candles in the wind.

1. 0
      epsonok0posted 2 years ago in reply to this

or light bulbs. (led lights for the environmental folks)

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

1. Hubpages is not the be all and end all. If you're not happy with how they treat a certain type of content (too salesy, duplicate, short, long, creative, over promotional) there are LOTS of other sites that will take it OR you can build your own very easily (I have a one page blogger blog that took me 30 mins to set up that makes me $1 a day on average). Personally I find Hubpages best for articles which will get high views but low advert engagement.

2. Leading on from above. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. NOT just your content. But income streams (what would happen if you lost your Adsense account tomorrow), traffic sources (if you lost all Google traffic tomorrow would your other sources still bring decent traffic) etc.

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 2 years ago

It doesn't matter how you hold your mouth, or how strong your accent is...
    If people don't relate to what you are saying, then don't take it personally....

There are a whole lot of deaf people in the world
    And a whole lot of them just simply don't understand how good words sound!

6. susi10 profile image94
    susi10posted 2 years ago

1. Pick topics and niches which are not covered extensively online and are easy enough to rank for. Formulate a good title based on those keywords.
    2. HubPages is by far the best content site to write for, I've tried others but the traffic and earnings here are miles ahead.
    3. Don't take spam personally, just delete it and move on.

7. janshares profile image88
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Thanks for participating in this forum everyone. Excellent insights. Keep adding. This could serve as a useful learning tool, especially for new hubbers.