jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Topics, mentions vs. copyrights

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

OK--so, I have a new Hub just about ready to publish.  I read it to my husband, and he brings up the following concern  (I quote him directly):

"Since you're talking about Star Trek, and naming characters and devices, don't you need to worry about copyright infringement?"

The hub is not specifically about Star Trek, per se; it merely mentions one of the characters, and some of the devices and their uses, as an adjunct and to serve as examples to the main topic of the Hub.

Now I'm confused/worried as to whether I have to re-work/re-write the entire piece!

Am I cool, or does hubby have a valid concern?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If you are using it from an analytic , educational or comparative stance, even a review, it would not be considered to be infringement so  long as you do not copy a substantial amount of the work and insinuate that it is your work.

2. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with the other responders. Mentioning characters, plots, and props in any way does not violate copyright when used in an article in ways such as mentioned by LuisEGonzalez. It would become a violation if you used those things in a work of on-line flash-fiction or if you were writing a novel based on someone else's creation.

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 2 years ago

It doesn't sound to me as if it would be a problem, since you're simply discussing aspects of the show but not using any of its copyrighted images, music or word-for-word dialogue. Hopefully others will agree.

Happy Hubbing!

3. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 2 years ago

Copyright infringement would mean that you are stealing someone's work and claiming it as your own. The mere mention of someone's work means nothing. Think of how many reviews have been written about all kinds of creative enterprises (haha). This has nothing to do with copyright infringement.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Copyright would be posting actual Star Trek movies or books without permission.  Anything else trying to rip off Star Trek would be under trademark. 

I don't think a hub just talking about Star Trek comes anywhere close to infringing either.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Thanks so very much, everyone.  That's exactly what I thought, but hubby sometimes gets weird notions, so I though it safer to double-check.

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You're very welcome. I'm always happy to help when I can.