jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is AIG a buy?

1. hubby7 profile image81
    hubby7posted 7 years ago

Today, AIG shares are selling at a all time low of $0.83 a share down from over $50 a share 52 weeks ago! Should we be buying AIG stock now? If it rebounds to just $50 a share in the future, fortunes will be made. What do you think?

1. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think if you buy now, at the end of 2009, you'll be taking a nice stock loss.

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL and fortunes to be lost when it finally goes belly up big_smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Far as I can tell, AIG is committed to somewhere in the region of $300 trillion in guarantees coming due over the next two years. Yes - $300 trillion.

I don't expect it to survive that. big_smile

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

U.S. taxpayers own 80% of AIG. Buying AIG stock would be a long shot. AIG and the Obama economic recovery program may come unglued in the shitstorm over the $160 million bonus or retention payments scandal.

4. Dolores Monet profile image90
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

i feel like we ought to just let them rot. when a business is too big to fail then it's too big, and seems to be a threat to national security...but if we taxpayers own 80% of the company, then we all loose...of course they say buy low sell high

5. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

AIG is a pit from hell. How we let ourselves be devoted to one company like that in the first place is beyond me! I also can't imagine why the company got corrupted in the first place? Inner corruption was the start of all the madness, promised $160 Million Dollar Bonuses? $160 Million can fund a LOT of jobs for quite a while...I think it's stupid to keep them going, the money to bail them out should be what is given to the people and they should go to a different company. Of course, that's being theoretical, that job is large and it isn't that easy to do!

6. dcmerkle profile image59
    dcmerkleposted 7 years ago

I really wouldn't want anything to do with AIG. I'm not supporting the greed and lies that are rampant in that company. Look at the 11 that left after they got their bonuses? Even the greedy themselves knew when to leave a sinking ship. There was no honor among theives there.