I wish HP would fix the old before implementing the new.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

I know there have been a lot of changes and I really appreciate that. I also am looking forward to the new hub layout...but...with disappointment.

In any business, one must first make their assessment about what works and what doesn't. The things that don't work, you either fix them or get rid of them completely.

Rolling out something new comes with mixed feeling for me, since some of the old things like stats don't work. After 8 years on the internet, HP isn't a new site anymore. We should NOT be dependent on Google Analytics to tell us how many page views we've had. The website where the hubs are published and where we get paid should be where we have an idea of how to manage our account.

Some people will say that Google Analytics is more accurate, but that's not the point. HP needs to make the stats work so that people are more confident in publishing here.

My suggestion: Fix what's broken before implementing a new feature.

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa - I agree with you, except that the HP statistics count our own views as we edit or start on a new hub. How do you feel about the accuracy of our stats? You have been here longer than me, so I value your opinion. On Google Analytics, you can remove your own views by excluding your ISP number. I wish they would be accurate and we would not have to keep going to GA. Lately ,they have been behind by several days or even more. When we ask about the stats, the staff refers us to GA. Are they trying to tell us not to rely on our stats on HP, or are they working on making them better?  I wish we had an answer.

Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Brakel2, HP stats count our own views as we edit but, how often do we edit one hub in one day? I haven't edited a hub in several months. In so saying, I think I have a pretty clear idea of how many views that are counted as my own. I also never reply to a comment from the hub, but rather do it through the comments page in the accounts section.

Most of the time I log in I check my accounts page, profile page to make sure everything is still there, and I browse the forums. I hardly ever really visit my hubs unless there is a link I need to fix. That way, I don't increase the stats unnecessarily. Of course when creating a new hub you must view how many views are already yours before publishing, Try to do all your edits beforehand so you have a clearer idea what's yours and what's not.

Also, I really wish HP would stop telling us about GA, that's not where I publish hubs and that's not where I earn money. HP needs to invest in a proper stats software or something where stats update regularly. Let us worry about whether or not half of the page views belong to us.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa, I operate the same as you do. I reply to comments from the comment page of the account section. I only visit my hubs if there is a broken link to fix.

I rarely check my stats on Google. I depend on HubPages for accurate stats, but apparently am not getting accurate stats from HP - therefore, I agree with all you say and I wish HP would fix current problems before implementing new changes.  There have been so many changes, yet old problems are not taken care of. It does not make sense to me.  With all the time spent on changes, hiring new staff, etc., HP would be far more efficient if they first fixed what is wrong with the system.

Also, I believe far too much time is spent on revising or adding new features requested by new members. That really irritates me to see so many requests for new features that we really do not need - some of these requests are asking for what is on another site that someone was used to using. A great analogy of what I am referring to is: I love your country so I moved here, but, could you please change all your rules to make it like my old country?  Redundant ! 

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Phyllis, I agree about all the new features being requested by members. It seems HP. Some of these new features are not priority.

2. Lionrhod profile image78
            Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty of requests that many of us agreed aren't needed. There are also plenty of pertinent requests that might go a long way toward  making HP more successful.

I didn't move here because I love your country, but because (no disrespect to my NA ancestors) the rez got moved.

Do I want it to be the same as my old country? No. Things there did and didn't work. Things here do and don't work. Feels like you're being overly dismissive.

Do we need to get the stats fixed, and fixed what else might be broken? Sure. That's not a reason to stop considering innovation.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
              Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My apologies, Lionrhod - I did not mean to be "overly dismissive". It was during a week when I saw just far too many requests for insignificant changes and was slightly irritated. I am all for innovation and changes for the better.  smile

2. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would prefer to be able to view everything here on the site as well.  After all, the stats must be available as we get paid and they should, in every sense, match what is in GA.

This is why I hate GA.  The below is what I get there no matter which one of my sites I am trying to view stats on.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12002471.png

Wow, that's hard Dayle. I've never had a problem with GA, but I do prefer to just check with HP.

3. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this
      1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Peg. lol

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I am in agreement as well.  Seriously, how many times does one go into every hub, every day?  Yes, I go into mine, but I don't go into each hub so many times a day that I can't  estimate those visits.

How many times have we been told that HP, Webmaster tools, and GA do their counting differently which is the answer given when hubbers have asked about such big differences in views between HP and GA, Webmaster tools because they show more views than HP does. 

Now after almost of a week of stats not being update, we are told to go the very sites that HP  has always said, well they do their counting differently which is why there is a discrepancy.

How about fix the old toys before you get the new toys and stop saying sorry but the dog ate my homework.

3. PurvisBobbi44 profile image92
    PurvisBobbi44posted 9 years ago

They stated my stats were checked 10 hours ago---which I find that statement to be untrue---because four days ago that were at 248,324 and that is what they are now.

It is no longer an easy place to put my content because when I do all my other hubs drop that were high to below 70's, and I longer understand what is going on when I add content to a hub it drops. If you cannot depend on your stats being up to date---then what?

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

After 3 days, my "Ever" stats are the same as they were before they started updating again.  Not to mention that they went in reverse back in late September - early October.  How will I ever reach a million views like this?!??!? I should be reaching my own invented milestone of 250K views tomorrow, but that is now delayed til next week.

I too prefer using HP stats to Google stats. I'd like to see stats getting updated every 2-3 hours, not once a day or twice a week.

Earlier this year my views were climbing and I estimated that within a month or two I would have reached the million views. I have been dawdling in the 700,000s for quite a number of months now. So frustrating!

My traffic is worse than when I was a newbie. It has literally been split in half for the last few months.

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I nominate you for 1 million views, and Sed-me for a perfect and permanent hubber score of 100.  These are changes that should be easy to implement.  Who will second me in my motion?

lol smile
            +10000000000000000000

2. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is also similar to when I was a newbie. I will vote you a million views too. Writer Fox had good ideas. Where is he?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
            LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never did have a ton of traffic, but 12 of my hubs are ranking decent in search engines, traffic so so, earnings were up, now everything in the toilet. 

On top of that, we can't even see if our traffic is improving or net.

4. PurvisBobbi44 profile image92

I just checked and it states they were checked two hours earlier and the count is still 248,324. I really do not understand what is happening.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Mine says 2 hours ago, and nothing has moved for days.  The only thing updated is the monthly earnings. The message about updates......  changes when they do monthly earnings.  The only way we know if stats haven't been touched, if they have updated earnings is to keep track of visit totals

6. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

Mine says 2 hours ago yet the actual figures have been stagnant for the past 4 days. The same red and blue arrows and the same numbers for each hub.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMG, you are right, Cardisa. Mine says 31 minutes but the numbers and arrows are exactly the same as they have been for the last few days. I've never seen that before, a fake out update. "31 minutes" is very strange, minimum update is usually 2 hours. Thanks for this forum. You speak for most of us. I hate to admit it as I try to remain positive but as Michael Kismet said, my motivation has been affected.

7. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

In total agreement with you Cardisa.  Acquiring Squidoo, new servers, new editors, new hub layouts--how about concentrating on running the site smoothly for a day?  That would be time well spent. 

Because bugs, glitches and ongoing stat delays aren't just frustrating, it also undermines the motivation and incentive to write more hubs.

Exactly my point. With all the new members there must be a strain on the system why the stats have been stagnant so frequently. I would have thought to concentrate on making things comfortable for all members before implementing any more changes.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Dale: I just tried and GA worked okay for me.

1. Dale Hyde profile image79

Still having the same issue, Linda.  May be the server I am being served up on.

9. PurvisBobbi44 profile image92

I empathize Dale because I get a message 1 Bad Default URL on My Analytics and I cannot fix it. My last nerve is sticking out of my head. I wish you good luck on fixing yours.

No fix I can do.  It is a Google issue.  It used to work, lol.  I have six sites there including HP.

Clear your browser cache and see what happens.

Just gave that a whirl and the same problem.

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Dale: I don't know.  I use Chrome.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

HubPages is both a fun hobby and a job; a rare combination indeed.

As long as that income keeps rolling in, I really don't give a flaming fark about anything else.

Besides, every time HP messes up, it gives us something entertaining to do when we poke them with a stick about it.

@HP Just keep being you. big_smile

Wow, just put "flaming fark" into a Google image search! Eureka!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who knew? lol

I like number three, haha!

That's funny
            Hijacking my own thread here but this got my attention: "well, for all intensive purposes, I too am lack toast and tolerant." A comment from one of the posters in that forum.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
              paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've never cared where my threads wandered. In fact, I considered it fun. What was your thread about? I've lost track. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)