Spam Comments

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

What is it with these people?   Just had no less than 5 comments on different hubs, all totally unconnected with the subject, and all making no sense to me.

When I logged in, I thought,  "Great, some traffic at last", but when I read this garbage I was really disappointed!   

Rant over.  :-(

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey, at least someone is paying attention to your Hubs! hahaha! I don't get real OR spam comments. It's like I'm invisible. But my own sites are beginning to get notice, so that makes up for the invisibility on HP.

2. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I  had the same experience on my hubs a week ago.

3. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I traced the IPs and they all came from Venezuela.

1. aesta1 profile image91
        aesta1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

How did you check the IP?

1. SheilaMilne profile image93
          SheilaMilneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When you mark them as spam, the IP address shows up at the bottom.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Snakesmum,

Sorry this happened to you! Make sure you report spam comments like these. It helps us track down and block the spammers more quickly.

1. profile image0
        Snakesmumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy,  I'll try to remember to report them next time!

2. Elsie Hagley profile image70
        Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How do I report spam?
        I have been attack with spam tonight, not HubPage members from the internet.
        Are there any filters to stop this, I thought this happen on WordPress not here.

Very Unhappy.

Just mark them as spam, but don't delete, so that the team can have a look.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70

Thanks, that means you click the deny button, is that correct?

Deny, and then Spam

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70

Thanks I did click the deny button but not the spam button, before I read your reply.
                Just checked out the spam button that I didn't click, but all comments where gone.
                Next time (I hope there won't be another time) I will know what to said. I appreciate your help.

2. Jan Saints profile image88
          Jan Saintsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How do you deal with the spammers that attack WordPress?

1. tillsontitan profile image82
            tillsontitanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How about the people on Wordpress who steal complete hubs?

3. aesta1 profile image91

Hi Christy, is checking Spam in the choices underneath the comment enough to report this or do we have to do more?

2. kerbev profile image82
    kerbevposted 9 years ago

Ditto.  I had 157 to delete.

1. aesta1 profile image91

I only had 3 so far. I just got 3 new ones from Ramesh, Vanessa and Bruno.

3. belleart profile image83
    belleartposted 9 years ago

Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, on like 6 or 7 hubs and comments were total bull.  So annoying, I got excited thinking people wanted to actually comment on my hubs, but no sad

4. profile image0

Ah well, at least I'm not the only one.    I think these comments must be made by bots - three of them were from the same IP address.

5. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years ago

I had a flurry of spam comments a couple weeks back. I clicked the spam button but did NOT then click the delete button on every one of them. I believe deleting them after clicking the spam button may negate the spam button (HP can't follow up if they are deleted-- I know, it's not intuitive). Anyway, after a week or so I stopped getting spam comments.

6. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

The same thing happened to me yesterday...mosty on hubs that hadn't had much traffic recently. All guest users...none of the comments were related to the hubs. I reported all as spam..lot of good that will do though I imagine.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I do not know how it would help to report "guest users" for spam comments. Doesn't hurt to report them though, just incase there is a way to zap them in cyber-space.

7. profile image0

Haven't had any since that one lot, and I didn't report them as spam, just deleted them.   Next time, I'll report them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)