jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

spam comments on my Hubs

1. writinginalaska profile image78
    writinginalaskaposted 2 years ago

i am suddenly getting spam comments on almost everyone of my Hub articles that have nothing to do with my Hub topic.  They appear to be from new or foreign Hubbers.  What can i do about this besides click the Spam button and delete forever?  It's a lot like a game of Whack-A-Mole  sad

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You should report them, especially if you're getting a lot of comments from the same people.

1. writinginalaska profile image78
        writinginalaskaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

nope, not the same person that i can tell.   but they hit almost everyone of my Hubs.  very strange,  see the below comments.  thanks Marisa

2. writinginalaska profile image78
    writinginalaskaposted 2 years ago

ok,  i will address my own problem since no one else commented.  I went in and disabled comments on my Hubs until i can figure out what is going on with the above problem.  Is anyone else having this issue?

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Most of us have had this problem at one time or another. Set your comments so that you need to approve them before they are posted. Eventually the spam comments stop anyways.

1. Kylyssa profile image96
        Kylyssaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1

Also, don't take it personally. Spammers neither know nor care who you are; they just see an attractive blank space in your comment section that they want to fill with a hit-and-run advertisement for whatever sleazy thing they are selling.

2. writinginalaska profile image78
        writinginalaskaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

thank you Barbara,  i did have my comments set for approval before they posted.  now i have them set for "no additional comments" at this time.  that way i can change it back.   
        Kylyssa,  thank you for your response too.  the ones i received mostly weren't selling anything but leaving cryptic messages or off topic ramblings almost as if they were talking to each other via my comments sections.  Weird!!

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
          Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had this happening at one time. I think they use bots to do this, but I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish. If there isn't a link, what benefit is it them???? I don't get it.

3. PurvisBobbi44 profile image89
    PurvisBobbi44posted 2 years ago

Hi,

I had nine spammers this morning---I just deleted them. Kids out for the holidays probably and just acting silly.
    It will get on your last nerve if you let it---but I just delete them and forget it.

You have a wonderful rest of the day.

Bobbi Purvis

4. North Wind profile image90
    North Windposted 2 years ago

Had at least fifteen spammers today and all spammed as guests. Just went in and checked them off as spam manually. It happens from time to time but I have not had spam in so long I was shocked by it.

5. profile image61
    HighNoon-USAposted 2 years ago

The Russians love Spam! :-)

6. Anne Harrison profile image89
    Anne Harrisonposted 2 years ago

Your discussion is very timely; my hubs have just been hit. Can't report as each spammer is different, none belong to hub pages. I just delete, little else I can do!

working