Get Rid of 'Choose Keywords' in Amazon Capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I often see barely related Amazon ads on pages here. Sometimes, I see ads that seem plain perverse -- ads for Apple TV on an apple pie recipe page, for example.

I'm sure a lot of the most unrelated (and harmful) Amazon ads come from the 'choose keywords' feature in Amazon capsules.

Might be helpful to retire the feature and dump any ads it was used to create.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can choose the relevant ad even from such situations. You can change keywords or browse and find out your choice of ads. There is no harm in retaining the "choose keywords" feature. It is our own fault if we cannot choose the right ad. Or else, one should abandon the capsule itself if unable to find correct ad.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that if keywords are used, the capsule displays random ads every time the capsule is displayed. So it may possibly come up with something irrelevant. At least by choosing a specific ad direct from the Amazon website, you can be sure that this ad will always be displayed.

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is probably at least half the problem.

Also, many people probably think the feature is entirely trustworthy and take the first suggestion offered.

It is not hard to go to Amazon and have a good look at stuff. The slight extra effort might deter casual users who do not understand the issues.

There should at least be a warning in the capsule about relatedness. Something like: 'do not use an ad for a product you have not discussed in the text'.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with both Venkatachari and eubug. I follow eubug in that I use specific products rather than using the keyword tool especially with Ebay. I think good results could happen as suggested by Venkatachari especially with expanding the search with more acuity with more than one keyword. For instance instead of 'apple' using 'apple pie'. I think what is pointed out is a contrast with the OP between the experienced knowing affiliate capsule policy and those who are uninformed.

Note: With Ebay if a product that is in a bid mode when the bidding ends one does not know what will substitute it or even if there will be a substitution. Also, if one does not discover how many items are offered there is likelihood of the same thing since the product will be sold out if not many offered.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A year ago I would have disagreed. But now I think picking specific products for Amazon ads is good for writers and the site.

2. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I've never ever used the keyword tool. Every single product I list has been chosen for its relevance to the topic.

It irritates the ****out of me to see hubs featured which use the keyword tool for listing Amazon products while hubs which have been carefully curated get tossed into the unfeatured desert.

Talk about nonsensical!

There really is no explaining some aspects of HubPages. The keyword tool should have been removed a very long time ago.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

There are times when using Amazon keyword search is useful.

For examples my "Cheddars of the World" article attempts to monetise the readers keen interest in this fabulous cheese.

Initially I selected a particularly fine Cheddar - made by a Welsh micro-farmer - or dwarf you could call him I suppose.  Unfortunately, after he was savaged by a goat he stopped making the cheese.  My advert was for an out of stock item!

Not only that but any reader who noticed what had happened to him would be put off their cheese.

Since then I have used the keywords "Finest Cheddar" and for the most part it returns a reliable selection of fine product.

I hope to sell one quite soon.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like the keyword tool.  It is almost always accurate for the type of products I sell.  I hope they never get rid of it because it sure helps if you don't want to keep going back to products which might sell long before I get back to change the ad.

2. Will Apse profile image90

I bet that using the word 'product' hurt, lol.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  It should have been "produce".  Apologies for that.

4. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I just don't understand how "personal experience of the product" matches up with products which turn up because of a keyword search - rather than because they've been chosen as a specific product.

5. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

I don't agree. Restricting the number of Amazon ads is a good idea. Otherwise, all this stuff about Amazon ads being bad is a complete overkill IMO. HP generates and inserts unrelated links all over the page.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Exactly

7. Will Apse profile image90

The Amazon keyword tool will deliver product results  that casual users will believe are sanctioned by HP and therefore fine to use. Often they are not.

If I write a page about 'dinosaur scales' and search for this phrase in the keyword tool I get:

'Princess Paradise boys Big Boys' Dinosaur Costume X-Large (11-12)'

That is a typical kind of unrelated ad that I see here.

Normal links are one thing. Affiliate links are something else altogether.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ditto 1+ - and that's why it needs to be removed as a "handy tool"

Much better to create a new tool which tells people when their Amazon module is empty.

8. Will Apse profile image90

For anyone who still thinks that affiliate links are not a problem, this is an interesting page:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 6465?hl=en

The advice on affiliate links is OK but the company they keep in Google's mind is scary:

Quality guidelines:

Automatically generated content
    Sneaky redirects
    Affiliate programs
    Link schemes
    Cloaking
    Hidden text and links
    Doorway pages
    Scraped content
    Irrelevant keywords
    Creating pages with malicious behavior
    User-generated spam
    Ways to Prevent Comment Spam
    Report spam, paid links, or malware

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I still think that RELEVANT affiliate links are not a problem.   If you're providing a link to a website that's relevant and useful to the reader, I don't think Google cares whether it's an affiliate link or not - and the continuing survival of my blogs is my evidence of that.   It's the irrelevant stuff that's the big issue, and it only has to be slightly irrelevant at that - which is why the keyword selection is such a dangerous idea.

Reader expectations are the key. Google will not tell us exactly what they do but we do know that they will always try to serve pages that meet reader expectations. Affiliate links on pages where readers expect to see them and find useful are fine. Anywhere else and they are spam.

You can argue that Amazon is the most respectable kind of affiliate link around but I reckon the same rules apply.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)