A Note about Niche Site Names

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
    Christy Kirwanposted 8 years ago

I wanted to take a moment today to address something that many of you have commented and speculated on: the naming conventions of our HubPages Network Sites. We understand that the site names that we've picked have been a point of contention in the community, so we wanted to share more about the process with you.

Selecting viable names for sites is actually a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. In addition to selecting names with available domains, there are also copyright, trademark, and branding considerations that go into our selections. Some of the names may sound a little odd at first, but this is often the case with sites and products that haven’t yet developed any brand recognition. We are working together with branding experts and doing our very best to pick suitable names that will not potentially put the sites at risk later.

While we are doing our best to select the most appropriate names for the new sites given the constraints above, it's also important to keep in mind that the names are only a small part of the formula for the success of the new sites. Our biggest focus is on creating sites full of high quality articles for readers. We're pleased to announce that our new sites have been a success so far, with most Hubbers seeing an increase in traffic after having their articles moved to the new sites. Your success means our success. As always, we are doing our best to create a space where your writing will have the chance to thrive.

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christy,
      Thank you very much for taking the time to share this info.  Your explanation is valued and appreciated.
      Have a great week-end.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No sh!t. Agreed.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd also like to mention that we would very much have liked to solicit feedback from Hubbers about name ideas, but a name is considered a company asset, and having someone outside the company or branding team we're working with come up with it could endanger our legal claim to that name in the future.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This post would have gone a long way in easing some of my concerns had it been shared awhile back. The name FeltMagnet is downright ridiculous for my purposes. However with that said I am beginning to regain some trust in how HP is doing things. Let's hope that the formula works.

5. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Success????  Where????  The traffic on my hubs that were transferred to Dengarden has fallen to ZERO.  And this is my prime season when I get the most traffic on my niche gardening hubs.

And high quality articles?  Are you shitting me?????  The quality of the gardening hubs on Dengarden is abysmal.  I am a Master Gardener who has worked at a public botanical garden for over a decade and teaches classes and workshops on gardening.  The hubs that mine are associated with are poorly written and full of wrong information.  I am mortified that my hubs are associated with such amateurish drivel.  I have worked damned hard at creating a quality niche site on HP and now those efforts have sabotaged.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81

Feel the same. Some of the photography articles on FeltMagnet are 'not that good' (I'm feeling kind today!) plus having other articles on the same site like how to cut wood at Home Depot doesn't help either.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

Christy, One of the things I love about HubPages is the professional way things are handled. Consideration of copyright issues is very important to avoid having to deal with domain name changes later in case of an unexpected infringement.  The fact that you are working with branding experts proves the professional commitment.

3. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Thank you much, Christy, for addressing and clarifying the bigger picture behind strategically choosing the niche site titles.

4. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 8 years ago

Thank you for posting this.  I think if one takes a look at the names of many websites out there, and thinks of them before they had any name recognition, we'd see how many of them may have been looked at as unwise choices.  Etsy, Expedia, Zappos, GoDaddy and even Google are some that come to mind for me.

For the most, when I'm searching for something, I don't pay that much attention to a website name.

5. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Christy. People like to complain but if an explanation is provided early it tends to negate a lot of that. I know HubPages staff are always doing their best to make the site a success.

6. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

OK, we can but trust you guys and gals to do the right thing, even if, at times, we do not understand why you are doing things in a certain way. Explanations are always welcome and provide new impetus to keep going.

Having said that, all I know is that my monthly earnings have gone down from 3 digit numbers to just making payout every month, and I wonder where the decline in income is going to end. But perhaps that's significant of the site as a whole.

I know the answer to that dilemma: write more super quality hubs.

Times are hard.

Good luck in all your endeavors and thanks for providing this (still) wonderful platform.

I feel re-assured and will go with the flow.

7. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

While I don't dispute the rationale Christy has given - it does strike me that this way of operating fails to take account of one extremely important factor

When you are trying to manage change you need to take people with you.

In the explanation, there was not one mention of any awareness that names might also be VERY important to the authors whose content is being transferred to the new sites.

I found this comment on this aspect of the names very eloquent http://hubpages.com/community/forum/136 … ost2810863

I very much doubt Christins is alone in thinking along these lines....

8. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

I love the new names and look and yes my views have gone up! yeah!

Some (very few) of the new names 'might' somehow relate to the subject matter but others are a total disaster. Take for example FeltMagnet...if there's one name that does not make any sense whatsoever in relation to the subject matter this is definitely the one!!!  Unless off course if you write about using felt to make pretty magnets.

9. Venkatachari M profile image85
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

Thanks, Christy, for taking the time to clarify matters. As you already stated, the names may seem to be unrelated or funny and ridiculous at the beginning. But, they will pick up the attraction and enthusiasm of the audience and win their trust definitely, if our content is niche. So, we need not worry about names.

10. Adam Harkus profile image60
    Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

Really appreciate this post Christy.

11. Kimberleyclarke profile image83
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

Thank you...having been a member of 'branding' meetings in the past, I know how these things go! Best of luck to everyone, and thank you to the HubPages team for all of their efforts.

12. Jesse Drzal profile image90
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Common sense tells us that Hp is more than likely not randomly spitballing niche site names..some of you really seem to have ZERO faith in the company..or is it just fun complain about everything? It can be hard to sometimes find real information here in the forums, and to wade through the sometimes mindless speculations about this and many other things and find real facts.

1. ChristinS profile image37
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No offense, your profile says you've been here for 4 months, so unless you're just using a different ID in the forums, perhaps you haven't experienced the constant changes in direction, rule changes, etc that many of us have over the past several years.  I've been supportive of most of these changes, understanding very well that without change and keeping up with the times, growth isn't possible. 

The fact that you feel the need to chastise people for having a difference of opinion (and I've seen you do this before on other posts) speaks volumes.  I have worked very hard on my hubs, am almost to two million views, and while I sit in silence on most issues here and wait it out and keep a wait and see attitude; if I have something to say; I will say it.  HP makes money off of our collective work and we are entitled to have opinions and give input when our work is being taken without our input and put on sites with ridiculous names. 

Many may not find that a big deal - that's fine, you too are entitled to your opinions.  I happen to think that having established hubs that have done well on sites with names like exemplore or feltmagnet to be demoralizing.  I am not eager to say "Ooh go read my latest comprehensive article on soap making over at felt magnet!" ...

I'm also not thrilled to have Amazon ads snipped to be moved to other locations when they were in fact ones I've made sales on. 

So, that being said - I'll say no more on the subject, but if you think this has been "fun" for me; you have no idea.  I've been very attached to HP for years and it's actually painful to face the prospect of leaving here, but that's where I'm at.

1. Adam Harkus profile image60
        Adam Harkusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hold on a sec, i'll get my popcorn wink

2. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

1. jackclee lm profile image79
          jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the explanation. Where can I find a list of current niche sites? Also, can you explain how the niche sites are promoted on the web? Is various search engine such as google being the target for SEO or are all search engines treated equally? The reason I ask is that my own limited experience shows that Hubpages seems to do well with Google but not as well with Bing or Yahoo.
          Anyway, keep up the great work!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
            paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

List at http://hubpages.com/help/sites-editorial-policy . Getting to be a long one.

3. janderson99 profile image53
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep I agree ChristinS  Writers are hardly going to brag about their wonderful articles on photography, painting and sculpture in the site/Brand Name FeltMagnet, nor will users doing searches choose articles in the SERPS with this brand. Makes no sense to me. Such a silly name. Over and Out!

PS HowToBeCreative(dot)com is available + many more

Precisely my main concern. 'nor will users doing searches choose articles in the SERPS with this brand.'  Well said!

13. Jesse Drzal profile image90
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

No popcorn needed. I learned what I needed in forums..and I thank all that have helped. You know who you are.

See ya later. But most likely not.

14. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I personally don't understand the objections raised about domain names, to me it's mostly a non-issue, but there is always, I've noticed, a collective panic attack that occurs when any change happens to this site. And I knew branding had something to do with the domain names, glad that was confirmed here on this post.

Also, I, like others, truly appreciate the amount of work HP puts into these things, handling them professionally and thoroughly. It certainly is a great task to run a site of this size.

I choose not to believe that these names could not have been chosen better because of copyright and whatever to at least (even remotely) suggest something to do with their subject matter.

FeltMagnet.....Really????????

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image87
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

15. jeux4banat profile image61
    jeux4banatposted 8 years ago

Thank you my friend good business

16. jackclee lm profile image79
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. Just what I needed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)