jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: The Meaning of Christmas--Its Traditions and Spirit

1. James M Becher profile image60
    James M Becherposted 2 weeks ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub The Meaning of Christmas--Its Traditions and Spirituality. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 2 weeks ago

Hi James,  great hub but maybe you need to give it another read through and edit.  I spotted some typos and you need to look at things like starting sentences with a capital letter (your first sentence need a capital I).  Little things, but they can take the gloss off

3. Janellegems profile image48
    Janellegemsposted 2 weeks ago

Hi James.  Wonderful Hub.  I like reading about the origins of Christmas.  I noticed some grammatical errors, spelling errors and long sentences.  You may want to capitalize the first letter of the first word in  this sentence- 'in all of the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, most people tend to forget the real meaning of Christmas' and also 'perhaps  (capitalize) search the web for available books on the subject, and then read some of Ace Collin's insights on the meaning of some of the traditions of Christmas'- add a period at the end of the sentence.   Another sentence-  'First you may want to heck out these great articles from Wikipedia and History.com.' I think you want to say, check out these great articles, not heck.   There are some sentences that can be shorten or be created in two sentences.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 2 weeks ago

I have both a "meaning of Christmas" and a "history of Christmas" written, so just had to have a look at your ideas.

As others have said, grammar and spelling need a good going over.

There may be too many photos.  With the proliferation of mobile viewers, pictures do better as full width rather than alongside text, and that very definitely affects how many are reasonable to have.  Scanning past a long line of photos will turn off many mobile readers.

You likely have too many Amazon capsules, with the three presented.  In addition, they are not all that germane to the hub in spite of being additional resources.  See the next comment, and make sure that any Amazon products have a very integral connection to your hub.  That you want to sell something is insufficient, as is suggesting further information.

I disliked the frequent indications to go somewhere else for more information.  Your hub should satisfy a reader, not send them elsewhere for what they really want.  From section VI on, I liked what you did - put some real meat in front of the reader rather than just a few words followed by "go here to see more".  My suggestion is to either delete the sections on the history or flesh them out considerably and do away with the links there.

You have way too many links to other sites.  One or two, maybe, but not nearly the quantity you give.  In particular, a link to a website scraper search engine is NOT something any hub should have on it.

5. theraggededge profile image93
    theraggededgeposted 2 weeks ago

Too much content copied from http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritua … 34190.html

I realise you are quoting someone, but it's not really made clear. Right through the hub, you are referring to, and quoting other sources. Your article should stand alone on its own merits, not rely on other people's content to pad it out. A quote should be one or two lines, a paragraph at most. It should also be obvious that it's a quote by using quotation marks, and possibly italics, to make it stand apart from the writer's own content.

You are also recycling an Ezine article of your own. This will flag the hub as duplicate content. HP prefers writers not to replicate their writing if it has been published elsewhere.

6. James M Becher profile image60
    James M Becherposted 11 days ago

I'm trying to pare down and summarise in my own words the info. from Collins, which I feel is too important to be overlooked.  As to my article from my ezine, the ezine is NO longer published, so I can't see how that could be a problem.

working