The "Popular" "HubPages" Greeting Me When I Enter HubPages.com

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 7 years ago

I'm going to do this every day until I only see Hubs or I just give up, whichever comes first.

Wed Dec 7, 2016

How did 3,000,000 (Million!!!) illegal aliens vote in California?
    Why do you think Jill Stein is requesting recounts for the presidential election in WI, MI and PA?
    Doesn't freedom of speech mean that there are no consequences?
    Is this what you had in mind when you voted for change?
    Four Primary Forms of Borderline Personality Disorder [Hey, an actual Hub!!!]

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jill Stein is trying to make herself relevant. Maybe her party too.

No 3 million illegal aliens voted. That's silly talk from a silly man distracting from the fact he did not get the popular vote.

Freedom of speech should not mean "no consequences."  Shouting fire in a crowded building when there is no fire and causing the trampling deaths for 20 people is murder, and should be prosecuted as such. People should be held to some standard of truth. Just telling lies to make money or sway opinions should be prosecuted.

I can't believe what is happening in this country with just the cabinet selections.  Katie bar the door.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Edit: Yes . . . I do see if Hubs are selected at the Feed everything appears. So, my answer below does not address that. BTW . . . Only Hubs appear when arriving on HP's home page when not signed in.

When first signing into HubPages one will arrive on a feed. It is 'all recent activity' - comments, replies, Hubs shared, and etc.

If only Hubs are wished to be seen then it must be filtered. That feature is at the top right of the feed. If 'Hubs' is selected at the lower 'Filter by Type' then it will only show recent Hubs published. Unfortunately once leaving the feed it will default back to the 'all recent activity' mode. So, it must be filtered again when returning.

I use that filter to see recent Hubs related to Poetry. That can be done at the 'Filter by Topic' above 'Filter by Type'. I am active in the Q&A. So, for questions of interest I filter for 'Answers' to see if an answer for a question I am interested in.

I hope that helps . . .

3. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We are planning an overhaul of the HubPages homepage in 2017. In the meantime, we plan to make the Feed the default page after login within the next few weeks.

UnnamedHaraldposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Terrific!

2. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great news

3. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy, thats great news that the feed will be made the default in 2017. However, I don't understand why it already is the default for me when I log in. Weird.

While on the subject, another change that would clear things up is to fix the "explore > hubs" link to show only hubs rather than Q&A and forum posts. Those two direct links already exist as options under the explore pull-down menu. If a Hubber wants to explore other hubs, it should display other hubs, in my opinion.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So when we enter the site as a signed in user over the url hubpages.com, we'll land on the Feed? When we click on "Explore > Hubs," well continue to see what we presently see when entering the site over the url hubpages.com? I ask, because "Explore > Hubs" also has the url hubpages.com.

2. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

I see what you mean. You choose" Hubs, Popular" and the list that comes up shows one hub and six questions. The heading says "HUBS."

You get it, Jodah.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I got it too, and I have been wondering the same thing. I'm not particularly interested in the forum/answers threads that seem to dominate "most popular" on the front page. Although my understanding is that outside visitors get a different page, still your point is well-taken because indeed those are not Hubs.

3. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

If you change your link that takes you to HubPages from hubpages.com to hubpages.com/feed you will go straight to your feed when you sign in and skip all the stuff on the front page. From your feed you have control over what you see and don't see. I rarely even see Q&A unless I go looking for it, which is almost never.

Yeah, I know I can filter but that's not the point. I'm tired of seeing drivel when I enter HubPages. Non-Hubbers see only Hubs and that's what I want to see without doing anything because this is definitely not HubPages at its best.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What I am saying is you don't have to see the drivel if you don't want to. If you go in through the front page you will see it. If you go straight to your feed you don't have to.

Once again, I never, ever see the stuff you are complaining about unless I intentionally go and look for it. I don't like it either, and I wish it wasn't even on the site, but as Bruce Hornsby said, that's just the way it is.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is the default face of the site.  Maybe repeatedly raising it as a problem will eventually lead to that promised change.

1. EricDockett profile image96
            EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree. As I said I don't like it either and I'd like to see it changed too. If that's the issue then I fully support any and all movements that call for change to the  front page.

If the issue is simply not wanting to look at that stuff there are ways around it.

Exactly EricDocket and psycheskinner. This is my little way of being a pain in the butt about it.

2. melbel profile image95
        melbelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It makes the site look trashy.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree it's not a good look and needs to be fixed.   The only consolation is that the number of non-Hubbers who ever see that page is very small. 

Over 90% of the people who visit HubPages arrive via Google, and they go direct to a Hub.  They then browse around HubPages by clicking on the related Hubs on each Hub.   So they never ever see that page.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image94

Right. But the point is this is the gateway to HubPages for Hubbers. It's like driving into a nice town and seeing junkyards and derelict buildings on the outskirts. If I want to see that I'm going to hell for believing/not believing or wish to get in a useless argument about this or that candidate, I'll seek them out. Or go to Facebook or Reddit where this crap is king.

4. UnnamedHarald profile image94

Here's today's list

Thur Dec 8, 2016

Why do you think Jill Stein is requesting recounts for the presidential election in WI, MI and PA?
    How did 3,000,000 (Million!!!) illegal aliens vote in California?
    The 5 Best Stratocaster Guitars on a Five Hundred Dollar Budget[Hey, an actual Hub!!!]
    Do you believe non-religious people, who lead a good life, are still going to hell?

5. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

UnnamedHarald, In your other thread on this same subject we talked about the descrepacy as to why I go to the feed page when I log in and you go to the homepage.

We never resolved that, but now in this thread, tsmog said the same thing that I was saying. Based on that, I think I figured out why you go to the home page. If you leave yourself logged in when you leave, then return by typing HubPages.com, you will see all that garbage on the home page. But if you are not logged in, and then log in, you will be dropped onto the feed page instead.

Personally, I always leave myself logged in. And I have a bookmark that puts me directly onto my stats page when I come back, since that's the first thing that I want to see. So I never even run into that mess on the home page anyway.

Besides all that, it's good that non Hubbers never see all that trashy stuff since the home page only displays HUBS when one is not logged in (which includes Non-Hubbers). But as Marisa said, most non-Hubbers go straight to specific hubs anyway, so that's a mute point.

6. prairieprincess profile image91
    prairieprincessposted 7 years ago

I agree. I wrote a post on this exact same topic a month ago or so. I remember when it used to automatically go to your feed. It was a much nicer feeling -- to see what your friends had recently written or commented.

7. UnnamedHarald profile image94

Here's today's list. Nary a hub amongst them. So, I've decided to supply some answers.

Fri Dec 9, 2016

Why can't people discuss race in a productive manner? [Because people are idiots.]

Do you believe non-religious people, who lead a good life, are still going to hell? [We ARE in hell.]

Why do you think Jill Stein is requesting recounts for the presidential election in WI, MI and PA? [Because she wasn't paying attention the first time.]

To Blacks Out There- What is YOUR Assessment of America? [I am unqualified to answer this question.]

Is it important to you to listen to the opinion of others, even when you disagree? [Sorry, what was the question?]

8. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 7 years ago

Yes, when I click "Explore > Hubs" as a logged in or logged out user, I expect to see hubs. Today I see none at all as a logged in user. I'd also prefer to see only hubs when I enter the site as a logged in user over hubpages.com.

The trouble with the titles of most "popular" forum threads and Q&A's is that they evoke negative feelings I'd rather not have to deal with at the particular moment. I think the only kind of forum thread that might be appropriate on that page (for logged in users) would be the current sticky staff thread.

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The whole problem is the headings under "Explore." You have a choice of "Hubs, Answers, Forums, Feed." If you choose "Hubs" it should just list hubs, if you choose "Answers, or Forums" likewise. Why even have those headings if those categories aren't seperate do anyway?

9. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 7 years ago

I have an issue with this too.

Especially the political "debates" - because whilst (sometimes) these might be valid issues to debate I have clicked on them a couple of times and some of the conversations are full of what is frankly ignorant drivel that I can't read without feeling angry (not all of it, but a lot).

I am not interested in arguing about these things on the internet though (not on hubpage forums anyway) so I would rather log in and find something else... could it be possible for hubbers to customise what topics they are interested in so we can filter out stuff we don't want to see.

10. UnnamedHarald profile image94

Sat Dec 10, 2016

And again... no hubs today, so here are the "top" five, with answers:

Why do you think Jill Stein is requesting recounts for the presidential election in WI, MI and PA? [Because she's confused popular votes with electoral votes and thinks she might be closing on 270 votes.]

What Discrimination Have You Faced as a White Person? [If you've ever seen me dance, you wouldn't ask this question.]

Do you believe non-religious people, who lead a good life, are still going to hell? [Don't care. I'm a rotten person who's religious, so I'm all right Jack.]

To Blacks Out There- What is YOUR Assessment of America? [I'm kind of a light brown. Does that count?]

Why can't people discuss race in a productive manner? [Because we are inherently inefficient.]

11. UnnamedHarald profile image94

Sun Dec 11, 2016

Third day in a row with no hubs and pretty much the same crap:

What Discrimination Have You Faced as a White Person?

To Blacks Out There- What is YOUR Assessment of America?

Do you believe non-religious people, who lead a good life, are still going to hell?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)