How can my hub be ranked #1 in Google and still be broke?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

One of my hubs is titled "Kid Hacks Nasa". In google search for keywords "kid hacks nasa" it is listed #1 out of 1,620,000 yet I am not really making any money. The hub is pretty short, yet why is it ranked #1? Any tips appreciated, thanks.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's not really a very commercial topic.  People looking for those keywords are not the kind of audience who click on ads, they're just looking for a specific news story.  Also, it's dated content, so it probably won't continue to get very good traffic over time.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent info. Thanks.

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. How can I break this to you gently.

Your hub is not number 1 out of 1.6 million.
      It is number 1 out of 4.

Do a google search for "Kid Hacks Nasa" using quotation marks in the search.
      This is called exact search, and will give you the number of pages where that exact phrase is used.
      On my search, that number was 4.

When you search for kid hacks nasa without using the quotation marks, this is called broad search. Google will return the number of pages that have the words kid and hacks and nasa somewhere on the same page. They don't have to appear together, or in the same order. There are 1.6 million of these, and they cannot be considered as competition for your keyword phrase.

So being number one on google really doesn't mean anything, unless it is for a keyword phrase that is being searched for by a lot of people. And even then, you won't make any money unless the phrase is used by people who are looking for something to buy, and who then click on your ads.

Many people wrongly believe that:
      #1 on Google = Earning lots of money.

The reality is:
      #1 on Google = A chance of earning money under certain conditions.

Cheers,
      Eric G.

P.S. @marinealways: I've emailed you a link to something I wrote for my clients which explains the selection of keywords.

Thanks, I will be sure to read.

3. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you think about it, who is going to pay to advertise on any site using those key words?  What kinds of ads are they displaying on your Hub?  If that genre isn't "valuable" then it doesn't matter if you are #1 or not.

I have only been on the Hubs a week or so, and my first Hub was about getting published.  I have only had 2 clicks that have paid but I made $1.26 on one click, and .80 cents on the other.  And believe me...I'm NO WHERE NEAR THE TOP of those keywords, nor will I ever be more than likely.  Top 5 listings are great, if it's in a category that is worth something.  I learned that a lot time ago when I used to design websites...way before Google.

I would think that "NASA" would give you some traffic, and as far as I'm concerned, I would be VERY interested in reading an article on some kid hacking them (and in fact I'm shooting over there after I finish this).  But you have to consider who would be the potential advertisers if you are looking for the money.

Excellent Information from you and everyone else. Thanks.

2. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

For a hub to profit, it must provide the reader with the feeling they need something and the means for purchasing that need must exist on the page.

I wrote up a great hub on the LG enV touch cellphone and anticipated others would get excited and buy the phone. It received many hits, but didn't sell a single phone. Why? It was being read by those who were looking to purchase cases for their phone.

I failed to foresee the market, and because of that, received a lot of views and no sales. Of course, I could go on to do a review on cases, but as I have only purchased on case on my phone it would hardly make me an expert on the topic ... and for anyone doing product reviews, I highly recommend becoming an expert with your products, as it only takes one naysayer to undo the following you gather. After all, if you are caught spouting misinformaiton on one product, why should anyone trust you on the others.

If you are into hubpages for a profit then your hub must create a need and offer a product that you can guarantee will fulfill it. For instance, if you create a hub on catching bass then you should provide the means for your readers to purchase the lures you already know are great for the purpose.

Same with recipes ... provide the means for customers to purchase the products that made your cooking easier.

Of course ... don't throw out any product - throw out the ones you know and trust.

Same goes with books. If you decide to expound your knowledge on a topic then it's possible some book helped you gather that knowledge along the way. Give readers a link to that book so they can purchase it for themselves. After all, you're already willingly sharing your knowledge, what harm is there in allowing the reader to dig further into the soup on their own? You did, and that's what helped you become so knowledgeable. smile

1. bgamall profile image66
      bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good tips. Also you could put an amazon module with cases for the phone.

2. marinealways24 profile image58

Lots of helpful information. Thank You

3. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

This was all great information. It's so easy on here to just start writing about whatever interests us without giving a thought to marketing. Also, I think some people jump into these article pages as a kind of get-rich-quick scheme and I don't think everybody is getting rich writing articles online. Maybe a few, but the vast majority are just picking up some extra cash and having a good time.

1. yoshi97 profile image57
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehe. I'm one of those few. smile

Oh, and I figured out how to list those cases and found a few other nice accessories that zeroed out any margins I had planned for the next several months ...

Ack! I shop on amazon more than my readers do! wink

4. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I'd like to add that it's not all about how commercial the hub is. You can rank #1 in Google, Yahoo and MSN for "purple baked dog doo", but if no one is searching for it, then no traffic, no clicks, no money.

Sorry to say that I just checked both Wordtracker and Google's keyword tool, and no one is searching for "kid hacks nasa". They are searching for "nasa", but there is so much competition for the term, that you would have to have a full fledged blog or website with top notch SEO to be ranking even on the first page.

Ahhh so thats what that keyword research stuff is for. lol Thanks for the information. Good stuff.

2. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love it!

Can I add that quote to my hub with credit to you?

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Be my guest, darkside.

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Eric!  Nice to have you back!

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Maddie.
      Looks like the craziness has subsided somewhat :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)