jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Lets Speak Medieval English!

1. fierycj profile image85
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

I've been reading up medieval books, cos of the nature of hubs I'm writing. The English gets infectious. So people, lets talk medieval English. You can Just say anything. Here I go.
    Hark, I seek a herald. One whose ways are noble and just. One who but a man, seeketh to attain godhood. One whose markings are enshrined on the stones of jaded tablets. Come O ye herald! Seek out thy lot. If only but for moment, let thy inheritance abide. Though the Winds blow upon it, and the East Wind rage against it, let it abide. And may the gods acknowledge you. Yea, even the Titans respect you, for thou hast made a portion with stars, and has divided a lot with the glorious.

2. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 7 years ago
    1. Amanda Severn profile image91
      Amanda Severnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Verily? What manner of man is this, who, seeketh to communicate these many troths without ink in his quill?

3. LondonGirl profile image92
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Your writing seems more King James Bible (17th century) than Medieval, I reckon? Certainly post-Shakespearean.

Medieval English is not particularly easy to read, until you get the hang of it.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, definitely Renaissance.  At least Shakespearean era.  But we should wait for what Teresa says, smile.

But, that being said:

No more be grieved at that which thou has done;
      Roses have thorns, and silver fountains mud;
      Clouds and eclipses stain both moon and sun...

Get thee now gone, and to a nunnery thou shalt run.

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

"for thou hast made a portion with stars, and has divided a lot with the glorious."

This is actually an extremely gorgeous line.