jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)

Laura Ling & Euna Lee Have Been Pardoned

1. bgpappa profile image86
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

Just broke that North Korea has pardoned the two American Journalists detained since March.

2. rsmallory profile image83
    rsmalloryposted 7 years ago

it is about time.

3. bgpappa profile image86

Agreed

4. flread45 profile image83
    flread45posted 7 years ago

We may want to thank Bill Clinton for this.

5. bgpappa profile image86

Agreed.  Apparently, North Korea specifically asked that Bill Clinton personally negotiate their release.  Nice to have diplomacy back.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

OH NO!!! Cover your heads, Glen Beck is about to weigh in. mad

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Tell me about Glen Beck Ron, isn't he an American TV entertainer who maps out politics. Sorry mate I could not make the connection, as I'm stuck down here in Australia, with Camel driven internet!.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Glen Beck is an entertainer, unfortunately some right-wing radicals confuse his antics with actual political and social analysis. He won't reply directly to this thread of course, but many posters to political forums whose feet are set in right-wing ideological concrete will parrot his talking points.  He has called Obama a racist among other absurdities.  Prepare for comments about Bill Clinton actually being a North Korean operative; exchanging nuclear secrets for oral sex; and quid pro quos between America's first and second black presidents.

Thank you Ron, that was a very complete reply. I do like the way you cut to the chase! smile

2. nicomp profile image59
            nicompposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Glen Beck is an entertainer like Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson, Keith Olbermann, Ed Schultz, James Carville, Bill Maher, Lesley Stahl, et al.

6. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

It doesn't surprise me since Bill was kind of a friend of theirs a while back, and they just want some attention like Mashariff got.

7. flread45 profile image83
    flread45posted 7 years ago

Well someday all this talk will backfire on Mr.Beck,hopefully he won't be arrested in another country,as the big boys will let him rot.

8. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

Do you suppose NK got exactly what they wanted out of this? (which makes it all the more likely something similar will happen again)

I fear they did probably get what they wanted, that is the only way you can deal in N.K. I hope Bill left a hole somewhere so we can back off on the promises it would have taken to get them pardoned though!

9. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

I guess they didn't care much for Hillary's tough love stance.
    Bill's a little more charismatic I guess.
    I wonder what he promised Kim for the release... and was he asked by Obama? hmm

10. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

I am glad to hear Euna and Laura were released.  However, in the name of journalism, or even wander lust as with the American hikers that were detained in Iran, I would not be taking any chances where I might accidentally cross the wrong border.

11. bgpappa profile image86

I agree sweetie pie, why take the risk.  But as the real story of Laura and Euna's story comes out, my bet is that they didn't do anything wrong.  They had a guide who was never arrested or detained.  The guide most likely led them astray purposely.  The hikers in Iran have the same type of story even though those facts are not quite clear as of yet.

12. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

I do not think any of them did anything wrong, but North Korean and Iranian officials are not exactly the most sentient beings in the world.  That is why I would not take the risk going anywhere near those countries, especially if I was a political commentator.

13. bgpappa profile image86

Fair point

working