Hub page score

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

Is it true that you can never have a hubpage score of 100 unless you have Ad Sense or your hubs are making money? Just wondered.

1. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My guess is it's money making related because my Adsense one got to 100 and was making me like $60 dollars a month for the 2 months it was at 100 then as it faded away so did it's score. I sometimes actually use the top 20 Hubs as a guide as to what to write about next as they are the one's making Hubpages the money!

1. emdi profile image64
        emdiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think its a good idea

2. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is interesting, but why would anyone care about thier score if they do not have adsene? ps hos your jellies n stuff? i am so jealous smile

alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess it would depend on how competitive you are.

3. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it's not true.

I have a couple of hubs (ironically HubScore is the first hub I ever wrote that made it to 100) that have no Adsense ads and they managed to hit a HubScore of 100.

It took me almost a year before I had a hub that made it to 100. The first time it happens it feels like a big deal, but it's really just a matter of getting everything else right (quality original content) and then a decent spike in traffic. If the traffic maintains and it becomes a stream it might stay at 100, otherwise expect it to drop.

1. vancouver profile image40
        vancouverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just quickly, I know its a complicated process but how many words would you recommend, pictures, video etc?
        thanks for your insight.

regards,
        JR

1. darkside profile image64

It would depend on the topic and how detailed you want to get.

For instance, lets say I do a hub on the Roman Empire. We're covering about 300 or so years, so it could be really big. But you'd only want to be fairly general with your overview. You could do one on Augustus and you could really go to town with the details. A person could easily write 1,200 words on both. The first would mention Augustus, but if you got too detailed covering each and every emperor, it would be far too long.

So when I cover a BIG subject area, I'm far briefer. I could very well have a larger word count if I focus in one specific points that is covered in the first instance.

So my tip is, if it's a wide topic, keep it brief, and interesting. If you want to get specific, grab it and squeeze the hell out of it.

300 words, I think, is far too short for any article. Unless it's just one small part of a lesson. Otherwise I like around 700 words. That's enough meat for a person to get a grasp of whatever is being discussed. You can go longer, but don't bore the reader. 1,500 words would be the most I'd aim for. Much larger than that and I'd be wondering how I could split it for the sake of making it easier for the reader to digest.

When I write my hub on "How To Hub" I could have gone into detail about Capsules, but that would have been a very long and unwieldy hub. So I have a hub on Capsules that I link to from the How To Hub hub. If I were teaching it in a class room, I wouldn't want information overload. I think the same applies online.

Photos help break up the text. If they're appropriate to the subject matter. I'd prefer to have too few than too many. At least one. Two is better. Three if it's going to be around 700 words. Four or five (I'm just coming up with this off the top of my head, I haven't stopped to check my own hubs) if it's going to be an epic. If photos or screenshots or graphics are to specifically illustrate a point, then it wouldn't be a problem how many there are. Just consider how they're arranged with the capsules so it flows nicely.

Videos are very handy to explain information. My hub All Dumbbell Workout wouldn't have been the same without them. I explain each method, but the videos reinforce the learning.

Experiment. Think about what works best for you, and also the reader. When I write I do so with humans in mind, not search engines. I'll tweak some headings for the benefit of search engines, as well as tags I think complement the subject matter, but otherwise I want it to be something that I'd enjoy reading if I was visiting it for the first time.

Thank you for your very informative post, excellent food for thought. I will take what you have said and try it out myself. Now
            that being said. If the point of adsense is to get people to click away from your article. Do you want them to stick around and read a 700 or 1500 word article? or would you rather them read it briefly and then exit view an ad..

Older SEO in training, 

JR wink

1. darkside profile image64

I want to do the subject justice. If they're inclined to click, they will. But an article that isn't up to scratch isn't going to be forwarded to a friend, bookmarked or even indexed by Search Engines as well as the one that is of top quality.

I suppose it all depends on your target audience and agenda.

regards,
                JR

2. alekhouse profile image72

Darkside, This is really good advice. I pretty much take this approach. I rarely go over 700 words, but I use lots of graphics and videos.

3. profile image0
            Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this information.  I signed up three weeks ago & just started doing hubs this weekend.  The word count & info about pictures was very helpful to me.
            Blessings,
            Ken

2. vancouverdentist profile image41
    vancouverdentistposted 14 years ago

fascinating, i wonder if thats the case. Ill have to try that out.

3. sparksdaniel2000 profile image73
    sparksdaniel2000posted 14 years ago

hubscore is also rated by traffic, so adsense probably does account for some of he score...money = power

I was talking about "hubpage" score, not hub score

4. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

i enjoyed reading that..... it has taken me a while to get to the stage where i can take on board all the technical stuff......

Managed to get through that  as it was interesting and informative, usually don't read very long ones at all...... agree breaking up with pictures encourages the reader to keep going nice  thanks

5. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

My recommendation follows Darky's, with a bit of added info...

Try to break up your text into several text modules with topics for each module. Write no more than 100 words per text box unless you can really justify it, as you are creating mini topics within the whole to capture the reader by the title transitions.

Also, about every three or four text modules throw in something different - like a picture, a link, or a video. This keeps the reader's eyes from fuzzing together over the text. smile

These are good ideas. I've tried the breaking into several text messages approach, I think BC or Goldentoad suggested it, and it really worked well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)