How long does it take you on average to write a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (76 posts)
  1. JulietduPreez profile image68
    JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

Hey.

I was wondering how long it takes you to write a hub. Perhaps an average time overall or for various types of hubs.

I read somewhere of a guy who wrote 10 hubs a day for 10 days! In my dreams. I take well over two hours per hub. Probably more if I added it all up.

Thanks,
    Juliet

1. profile image48
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Usually an hour and a half !

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bad Company will take a lot longer than an hour with your next project wont it??????

1. profile image48

Yeah I have already spent that on it, thats why I will wait until Thursday. I am my own worse critic, if I don't like it I won't post it. It was like my Keyfinder Hub, I hate that hub and was all for deleting it but it got a good few clicks but I still hate it.

1. profile image0
    2. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the beginning - months ago - It used to take me 4 hours to write a Hub. My goodness! but now, approximately 2 hours. Less than an hour if its a Poem. smile

3. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

4-5 months apparently

4. Owais Siddiqui profile image66
      Owais Siddiquiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been writing commercially and can write a lot... But when it comes to writing a hub it has to be something from my heart and has to mean something I dont write a hub until I feel for it.

So max that I can do is one hub straight from the heart

5. profile image0
      cathinfranceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Takes about fifteen minutes. Usually because I know what I want to say when I start. Once I start it flows fairly quickly. having said that, I don't post that often so maybe you write more often but more slowly each time?

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Same as you 2-3 hours.

I would question the quality of anybody who squeezes out 10 a day. The most I have ever managed in a day was 4 published, and 2 half done. That took me ALL day!

1. kephrira profile image59
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never managed more than 3 or 4 in a day either. Mostly mine take an hour or two each.

2. profile image0

your hard work is always appreciated honestly it really is

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

last night i wrote a poem, it was an effort to try to pull myself away from the computer, took 2 minutes, but then longer to advertise the books..... I promised myself i would switch the computer of once the hub was done...

I am soooooo lazy and have lots of good ideas in my head but just stick to messing around in forums and writing little ditty's that is why i will never be rich or famous, but i am happy..............

4. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

about 2 hours and longer ones with more research take a few days

1. Lisa burkez profile image40
      Lisa burkezposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A quality hub in 2-3 hours and if the topic does not interest me then it takes about two days also.

2. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's about par for me, too!  Hi Cindy Vine!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

a few hours minimum~~ depends on research involved~~ and how often I'm distracted hmm

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Like others it depends what I'm writing. I'm fighting with one right now that will probably take me hours and hours collectively.

If I write about a subject I know well, maybe an hour or two. If I write something straight from my mind i.e. froggy nonsense, frighteningly quick.

7. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Although if I am drunk I can write it in the toilet and publish it in 45 mins, just like my Peggy Sue Hub smile

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lololol smile of the day moment - cheers BC big_smile

1. profile image48

smile

8. profile image0

did that last one wrong

Please post it just for me please please please

1. profile image48

I am posting it on Thursday night, twil be worth the wait I hope, jeeez I havent written anything in ages !

1. profile image0

what time thursday i kwant to be the first to read it

1. profile image48

9pm uk time on the dot !

9. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

I have only managed to do two in one day and found it exhausting. I did one today and with research and keyword search took a good three hours if not longer but it is still not fully finished.

1. profile image0

ah yes but you had lots of success, i read about it while you were on holiday.   I have had no success actually, that is because you put in the hard work, well done

10. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

1 to 2 hours - 1 hour for the writing (and research) and another hour to put in everything including the pictures, links, tags, videos, etc. But if it's a ranting hub, 30 minutes to 1 hour tops! smile

11. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Depends on the amount of personal interest I have in the topic. I tend to start witno personal interesth something personal, a memory or tenuous connection, and then let whatever flows flow from there.

If I'm fully engaged in the topic I can write 500 words in an hour and then another hour to add video and news feeds.

If I have no personal interest then it can take me days to even get started, then a couple of hours for research and another hour to pull it all together.

I often go back to the hub a week or so later and edit / re write it, or add another paragraph or two when I can see it in a more detached way.That takes me another hour or so.

12. profile image0

you are not going to believe this ha ha ha ha i am at my religious meeting,,,,,,, not back til 10 but i will tune in when i get back,,,,,,, can't miss it even for you sorry

1. profile image48

Just for you I will post it at 1030pm uk time smile

1. profile image0

thanks so uch it does mean a lot to me..... I know it will be brilliant, have you sourced some good pics yet...

1. profile image48

Yeah the framework is all done, just need to put the bones on it but I am kinda liking it !

1. profile image0

goody gum drops

13. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

It depends on what you write. Good hubs take about 3 hours

1. profile image48

So you wrote 2,900 in 2 years, thats some work !

1. profile image0
        shinujohn2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was giving him advice about writing good hubs , i never said my hubs are of quality

14. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I've only published two hubs but the first one only took a few minutes as I was typing from memory.  The second one took me like three hours.  I had a little more into the second one though and I'm learning a lot as I go.

15. mkott profile image67
    mkottposted 14 years ago

Depends on what I am writing about.  I try and publish a hub every other day the off day is for research and usually start writing the next day I finish up and publish.

16. Susana S profile image90
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I'm very slooooooow, lol. About 4-6 hours, but I am a perfectionist.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in your camp.  Most of my stuff is education I've been providing to clients verbally for 6 years or more.  A lot of it I already had in some form as a 1-2 page patient handout.  A few were 4-6 page handouts.  It's all stuff I'm passionate about and I want it to be right.  A lot of it is fairly complex stuff that I try to make simple and logical.  So I'd say 3-6 hours.

17. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Uh, like an eternity. I've always was obsessive over revision, and I didn't even want to publish the mere 2 hubs I have because of it!

I mean, some folks are here for 6 days and have 20 hubs, but me still 2...xD I just prefer quality over quantity and need to be inspired (But, for all I know those people just are more prolific then me and still write great hubs...).

Oh, well.

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Tori, don't sweat over it, I am here for two years, and have just 17 hubs. wink

1. awsydney profile image60
      awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True but look at how many fans you have!

I was told the Dragon naturally speak software is a great tool which help with content and research and this significantly cuts down the time taken. Maybe this explains those 10 hub per day hubbers. I'm suprised no one has raised this?

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That stuff works surprisingly well, but it messes with the internal voice.

1. awsydney profile image60
          awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm really wondering whether I should get that software although I'm no serious writer. Just wanna cut down on time. Pushing affiliate products definitely earn a lot more than writing for adsense pennies.

19. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Takes me from 45 minutes to two hours to complete a hub.  Depends upon how intersted I get in the subject and how many
    "Hey Mom come here!"  I hear!

20. Gennifer profile image52
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

As I see the majority of hubbers need 2-3 hours to write a hub, but for me it takes a bit longer as English is not my native language: I think in Russian, than translate my thoughts into English and if I don't know a word I have to look it up in the dictionary, so in general it takes me 4-5 hours... smile

21. Appletreedeals profile image68
    Appletreedealsposted 14 years ago

Geez! I get too wordy and then have to spend extra time editing. I usually take 2-4 hours on short hubs.

22. Jerilee Wei profile image69
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

On average about 3-4 hours from start to finish, including research.  Rarely, a day if it is something I'm either unsure about, or too emotionally involved to release.

23. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

At least two hours.

The articles that I write which features products are easier to write because it's basically putting together facts and Amazon capsules.

Next articles to write longer is when I write about an idea I have and then just looking for some research.

My travel articles take longer because I have to think about what to write, the way to write it, select pictures, find research, etc.

24. Tracy711 profile image62
    Tracy711posted 14 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie too and I don't think it matters how long it takes. It all depends on what you are writing about and how much you would like to share. The most important thing I think is that you write about something you truly love or enjoy. These make the best reading and are popular. So if it takes 1 hour or 1 day it does not matter as long as you do a good job. You want to make it interesting so you can attract fans. I don't have that many fans yet but I have a few and they are very nice. So just keep writing and be happy. And if you get a chance check out my hubs.

25. Kadmiels profile image51
    Kadmielsposted 14 years ago

In general i do 3 to 4 hubs a day and it takes me all day to do them.. of course it also depends on topic and research but i try to average that

26. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

4-5 hours to even 4-5 days.

27. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I really admire the hubbers whose first language is not English trying to write a hub in English. I wouldn't know how to write in another language.

1. Helen Cater profile image61
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you there I have enough trouble and I am English. Good on all you people who have English as a second language.

28. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

It depends on what I'm writing about.

Usually I have about 10 hubs drafted and working on at any one time. I don't often pursue a hub from start to finish in one sitting. I have, but not often. And when I do it usually results in something under 500 words. Otherwise I've got on simmer 700+ word hubs that are getting ingredients thrown in here and there.

I have no strict way of doing things. It's random, unpredictable and hectic.

29. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Well I'm still new to writing hubs but it depends on the topic. If I'm doing a review I can spit one out in about an hour after I watch the movie. If I have to take research then 2-3 days. And if it's creative writing.... forever.

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I get writer's block I consider doing a movie review or book review but I'm concerned they won't bring any traffic. Do you find that's the case at all?

1. Gemsong profile image62
        Gemsongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, at this point I'm not in a traffic. I haven't gotten a lot in the last few weeks. 200+ total page views since I started. As I'm still in the finding my niche mode the reviews do well enough for me. smile The score ranges from 60 to 75 but I don't know if that's good or not.

30. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'm still new to it all too but it takes me a few hours to write one out and then post it but...if I can't write it takes a few days, weeks, and months lol

31. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think mine average around 2 hours (maybe an hour and a half or three-quarters of writing, and then whatever's left putting whatever stuff there's going to be).  I always plan to go back and add stuff, but I never do.

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You will on oe these days right? smile lol

2. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, there's always tomorrow and the next day, right? smile

32. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

It usually take me 3 hours to write a quality hub. I do not do key word research but only concentrate to write it. Adsense is my secondary goal and not at all primary because it is less than 1% of my business income.
    Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

33. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 14 years ago

Am new to this but about 2 hours, so -far
    I also drift in to side stuff, and the sesson goes long.

Jon

34. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I just wrote a hub. I wrote through an episode of Two and a Half Men and an episode of NCIS. So that's an hour and a half including commercials, IMs, annoying cats and snoring husband.

This does not say good things about me.

35. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 14 years ago

1.30 hours

36. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

Some times it takes an hour and some times a week or even a month. All depend upon subject matter and mood.
    Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

37. embitca profile image86
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

Often I can write the main content for the hub in a half hour to an hour, depending on how long the hub is going to be. But putting the hub together after that will still wind up taking me at least another hour because I'm usually looking for just the right Amazon listings to add, or the right youtube video, or looking for photos, etc. Then I futz around forever with the lay-out. Then I check keywords and such for tags, etc.

But like Darkside, I usually have several hubs I'm working on at once. So often I will grab the url and post my text. Then leave it unpublished until I can come back to it and add the rest of the ingredients.

38. NGRIA Bassett profile image60
    NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

It takes me on average 3 hrs to research and write a hub.

39. Sa Toya profile image82
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

To be honest I'm new to hubs and it takes me ages sometimes, like up to 4 hours sometimes.
    I've done two in a day and needed to take a nap lol!
    well not really but it was tiring...VERY!
    I've spent all day on my last hub, I'm hoping it will take less time the more I'm hubbing.

40. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

It used to take me 15 minutes. But now I look over things twice and it takes me 30 maybe an hour.

41. Mama Sez profile image63
    Mama Sezposted 14 years ago

If data and all necessary information are already available, it will take me about an hour to complete a hub or write an article.  For those requiring research, about 3 days...spending like 2 hours per day.

42. David Trujillo profile image52
    David Trujilloposted 8 years ago

1 hour to write, 1 hour to enhance with photos, 30 minutes to publish. so 2 hours and 30 minutes

43. Kristen Howe profile image93
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I tend to write my hubs ahead of time than when I first started and cut time in half. Like David, it's about a hour, give or take, when I copy/paste it onto hub, and add photos, ad capsules, and publish within 30 minutes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)