Has Anyone Ever Gotten A Job From A poor Person?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image61
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

I just wanted to find the answer. How did that person pay you?

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you trying to figure out a way to pay someone?

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparently Obama has. He's been working for ACORN for years of the backs of Chicago Poor. From where he is now, I'd say it paid well too!

Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

when I was 17, I had a friend, her mother had a stroke, and was in a wheel chair. She (my friend) had to all the housework. My friend had 2 sisters, under the ageof 10 at the time...I, cleaned houses for a job. Her step father hired me, to help her out. They wanted to pay me cash, I suppose they would have gone without in some area to do this, I refused it. They fought me on it. So, to avoid hurting thier pride, I took the money, then gave it back to my friend at school, so she could buy a lunch.
      Oh, wait..define poor?

Not only good looking, but hard working and integrity. I bet you turned out just fine.

2. tim-tim profile image70
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

I have not but to answer your question, bartering is the best way in this case. In fact, with the economy, it is good way of trading skills.

Bartering will probably be a one time thing. How would you pay rent, buy food, take care of your family, etc. I don't think bartering would do it.

3. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

What is your definition of poor? Is this hypothetical, or is there a real-life situation you're referring to? I'd love to give some input but I feel like I need more info.
    I've worked for people who were struggling. One company to this day has never paid me my last two checks (but I never went after them as it was a family business and they had lots of kids - enough problems without me demanding they pay me back on top of it all).

I know you have worked in corporate America for many years, so maybe you are asking to make a point that you already have in mind?
    I'll check back and see where this goes and whether I have any valid input (which is doubtful lol).
    But, I am going camping....I promise I'll stop back in first, though.  big_smile
    See ya in a bit!

4. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I am poor, and I offer internships with Project Bow. People volunteer to work with Bow, a seven and one half old chimpanzee, in return for room and board, because I can't pay them a salary.

Internships do not pay money. Would you say you are exploiting others to accomplish what you need to? Yous money making sounds like this the life you chose, I applaud that. America should equal choice.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Harvey, I'm not exploiting anyone, because everyone has a choice whether to apply for the internship or not. I choose only the best candidates available. I offer a unique opportunity available nowhere else. 

Mine is not a money-making venture. My undertaking has no economic value to anyone, but a great deal of intrinsic interest.

If you have time, you might want to read my recent hub, entitled "What is Work?" A lot of people seem to be confused about the answer.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Must admit, Aya, if I was a younger man with fewer responsibilities, I would jump at the chance to work with Bow. I wish that we had met a few years ago! big_smile

Too bad, Sufi. We could have used the help. But maybe we can still ask for free advice on concrete sealants! ;->

2. Harvey Stelman profile image61

You made my point for me. Work hard, be the best and you will be sought out.

5. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

What kind of job are you talking about anyway? A head position, or were you given a hand?

I was born into a poor family from the South Bronx. I started working at nine years old, I always worked hard like everyone I knew. Paid my student loans and worked harder. Does a 60-80 hour week sound like I had it easy? Some weeks were longer, but they were necessary. I'm not talking about being paid overtime.
      Of course I had help on the way up, everyone does. When an upper level person sees your work and like it, they should want you promoted.

Did you think I had rich parents. My dad went bankrupt twice to help get me to college. Life was so easy!

What happened to your Dad's creditors? Were they ever paid in full?

6. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Darkside, I couldn't tell for sure if you were asking Harvey Stelman or me? In my case, interns help with research, caretaking, filming and file written reports.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was responding to Harvey, but I do find your Project Bow very interesting. Do you have a hub on it?

Darkside, I do have many hubs about Project Bow. One that might shed some light on the volunteer position I offer is entitled "So you want to work with Bow..." I won't post a link, so as not to be overly promotional.

As for the subject of this thread, can a poor person employ another, the answer is "yes." In fact, in days gone by many people who were in financial straits themselves employed others in their homes. This was before you had to provide benefits, so just having a roof over the employee's head and food to eat was enough.

I was going to ask you for a donation to the charity I started, I decided not to, I'm a bad person!

7. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Define poor.... Does debt define poverty?  What about a small starting business funded by a loan for someone (who if unable to pay automatically becomes poor)?

I sense a stupid political discussion about how the lower class doesn't matter.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking it's going to be about that we have to let big business do whatever they want and that they should not have to pay income tax. And, that all the poor are lazy and that it's their own fault. Am I close?

Since I started this thrad, I'll answer that. What you suggest is not my point at all. So I'll address your comment. If you do not want big business to succeed, workers will get layed off, less product will be produced, supply and demand will cause prices to go up, the consumer will not be able to purchase these goods, the gov't will collect less taxes, taxes on individuals will go up; is this what you want? It's what you're getting.

Read my comments  and you will see that is not the case..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)