jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

You became the fan of ....

1. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

Hmm, maybe I should sleep more, but when glancing at my hubtivity

I see,  You became the fan of "random name"

Shouldnt it be, You became A fan of

I wouldnt say, are you THE fan of the Yankees

or I am THE fan of the Beatles, that suggests a singularity to my sleep deprived brain.

As if I am the only fan, rather than one of many.

2. shamelabboush profile image71
    shamelabboushposted 7 years ago

You have a point I see....

3. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

You should have mail J. (from yesterday)

Sorry it's my intuition ... gained from becoming 'another' fan sometime ago. hmm

1. sunforged profile image72
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, received and still in agreement, am drafting a detailed response

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Cheers J smile

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I know what you're saying, but I'm under the impression that in this case it's a matter of a popular use of the word, "the".  We may hear something (say, on the news) about "Fred Smith"; and someone will say, "He is the friend of Mary Jones."  They don't mean Fred doesn't have any other friends, but by using, "the", it doesn't assume that Mary has other friends either.  "A" doesn't really "say" someone has more fans or friends, but in a way it almost seems to imply it.  Maybe, too, the popular practice of saying "the" is just a matter of using "a" and "the" interchangeably.  Then again, maybe you're right; and the practice is wrong. 

Somehow it doesn't seem to me, though, that saying, "Fred is the friend.." is actually saying he's the only friend - which, to me, makes use of "the" appropriate.  (I know I may be wrong "grammar-wise", though.)

working