I lost a fan today.

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (78 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image67
    bgamallposted 14 years ago

I really hate to lose fans. I would rather that they come and discuss with me what they don't like and maybe we could just agree to agree on things we like mutually. But it is unpleasant when someone leaves:)

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just joined. And I do not do that very often. smile

bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark, I know we don't agree on everything but we agree on alot and that should be what brings fans together. I do write about some controversy but I don't mean for it to push people away. I would think that hubbers would be tolerant of the right to express.

Thanks for the encouragement, all.

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's just me, but I think you're taking the fan thing far too seriously.

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Those who like you will follow your work and those who don't, won't.  Some people will follow your work who won't even click to be a fan.  It doesn't matter.

Oh I agree. You can follow a specific hub without following the author. But you and our pirate can't make Darkside feel warm and fuzzy about his comment. It wouldn't be right:)

2. bgamall profile image67

Lol, it was all warm and fuzzy then you came along. But you are keeping with character!!

1. profile image49
          badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it was warm and fuzzy why complain, Darkside gave you an honest view !

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right-- once you get to  certain point and score--  many people fan you for no real reason( or perhaps, possibly ...  self- promotion?), which becomes meaningless, especially when they leave no reason for fanning.

3. alekhouse profile image70
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I've only been on hubpages a very short time and don't have very many fans. Wish I had more, but I guess it takes time to get to know people in a new community. So sorry you have lost one of your fans, but I guess there's more to life than fan clubs.

4. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't see that link.

5. apeksha profile image66
      apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh ! dont worry you will get new ones..as I am now Your fan...

6. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, the system makes them disappear as many of us have experienced believing we were someone's fan and when we have gone back, we are gone. Don't fret I am certain they will be back as they may not realize they are missing either. smile

7. profile image0
      Béla Mongyiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes. I'd love to talk to my fans too. smile

8. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

but, you have 180.....and I see you write about controversy? how exciting!! I will go read right now!!

2. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 14 years ago

sad

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Maybe it is because they just keep getting too many e.mails and the only way to stop them is to just stop being a fan....... sometimes I get about 80 then I feel guilty that I can't read them all and have considered losing a few, but maybe not, in fact I may just add another one eh????

1. beautyrose profile image60
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you added me. hehe ty. And it has a long way to go still.

4. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Don't sweat on it mate if they were a true fan of you they wouldnt have left. I have had fans leave and to be honest I couldnt care less because Hubs gets loads of new good peeps daily. They were not a true fan, dont even try and think why they took you out, not worth it !

5. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I would hate to loose a fan, cos its hard enough for me to have a good fan base. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

6. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I would not worry Bgamall smile your remainder outnumbers those gone wink

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I am wondering-- do people have to purposely withdraw to 'unfan"? or do they disappear from your list if they just withdraw from hubpages altogether?

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a person leaves hubpages, as in deletes the acct or gets banned, they get removed from your fan list.
      Otherwise, if they are still a member, they have to purposely withdraw.

So, that could be what happened bgamall--someone could have left HP

8. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Like Damescribe said, I wouldn't worry about it. Infact, after writing this, I'm going to your Profile Page to join your fan club. So you might have lost one but you've gained another.

9. profile image49

Actually agree with you 100 percent Darkside !

10. profile image49

Besides we all remove people we fan, I have 4 I intend to remove myself who I follow but who are to busy farting about on the forums to read my hubs. I will remove them and not care what they think, if someone fans you it means they like your hubs, unless its just a numbers game and if it is then I have no place for them in my fans. I have 5 that fit that bill and they will be removed, just acccept certain people are fake !

I do try to get to other people's hubs and comment. If I like a hub I will comment.

2. alekhouse profile image70
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have fans that never read my hubs. I was sort of hoping they'd give them a peek at least now and then. But maybe the hub challenge is getting in the way.

11. profile image49

I really am the last person to stick up for Darkside but all he said was you were taking it to serious and he was right !

I was just joking around.

12. moposan profile image58
    moposanposted 14 years ago

Hell with the fan

1. profile image49

Agreed ! Nice moustache ; )

1. moposan profile image58
        moposanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.yours as good as a hell.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

13. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Darkside is a wonderful Hubber smile nothing wrong with candor. As I said, never mind the one in comparison to the the 100, Bgamall wink

Yes Dame he is "Mr Wonderful". I wonder if his other (light) side comes out in his personal relationships and work, and I wonder if we are his therapy group.smile

14. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

That shit happens to me all the time. I quit caring about it a long time ago, in fact I think its pretty funny someone would have such sensitive skin. Good riddance I say.

1. profile image49

Awww Toad what can one say, people come, people go, my Cabin Girl says she misses you smile

1. goldentoad profile image60
        goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I miss my morning insult. Now everyone just says good day. I need a good jab to get going.

1. profile image0
          Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could start throwing out insults when I see ya, if you want big_smile

awww...how am I kidding?? No I couldn't.  big_smile

1. goldentoad profile image60
            goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would just take my verbal beating from you and go cry in a corner. I wouldn't be able to fight back.

2. bgamall profile image67

Lol, you have 500 fans. Lol.

And Rochelle, true.

15. Ladybird33 profile image64
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Isn't hubbing about communication?  Then the fan should have communicated to you why they are leaving...I would hope that if it happened to me too.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If we were able to have our usernames changed I'd probably change it to Mr Cranky. Or perhaps I should use Simon Cowell as my avatar instead.

Hubbing is about publishing.

There are many reasons why you'd cancel your subscription to a magazine. If you felt compelled to tell them, they may read it, they may take it to heart, they may just screw it up and throw it in the bin.

People fan others for various reasons. Some because there is a connection between the writer and the reader. Sometimes because a person wants garner as many fans as they possibly can and think the way to do it is to fan others en masse.

There are no rules why you should fan another, its just personal preference. The same applies to 'unfanning'.

If anyone left my 'fan club' (the name alone makes me cringe, while I may write for readers, visitors or an audience, the very mention of 'fans' makes me feel like I'm a pompous rockstar) it wouldn't concern me. In fact I'd find it a waste of the former fans time to feel compelled to justify their actions or reasons.

You are a bit of a rock star here:) You have fans, that is reality, accept it. Wait, now I am talking like you!!!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  16. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I usually lose fans when I put anything on about religion.  I lost three over a weekend once.

17. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

How do you know if you lost one?
    I dont check ,naughty of me I guess
    Emailed once I think ,god im boring lol

18. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

A couple of people asked about defanning a person to cut down on emails.  You don't have to do that, you can just turn that feature off.  The option is in your profile.

Just uncheck this line:
    [] Notify me when my favorite authors publish a new hub?

19. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

The few times I've lost fans, it has been because they left hubpages.

20. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

No disrespect to anybody who has joined my fan club, but I'm here for the search engine traffic, and the occasional bit of banter in the forums.  I don't need fans and I don't need comments, just cold hard cash! smile

21. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

wouldn't worry about it.  Sometimes debates get heated, that is what is supposed to happen in debate.  As long as you welcome their opinion, whether you agree or not, then what more can you do?

22. Charia Samher profile image62
    Charia Samherposted 14 years ago

I've lost some too, and feel bad about it. But then we have to move on...hahaha Do I sound so serious? Hmmmm maybe I'll worry much if they are all gone; by then there's no doubt that I'm doing something wrong.

23. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

I have lost too. But then I don't quit there's in return. There opinion of me doesn't change my opinion of them. If they were my fan to begin with then they will remain my fan forever.

I am sure there would be others who would join you for your views or temperament whereas some leave for the very same reason. Bill Cosby once said “I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” smile

1. Elena. profile image85
      Elena.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always SO smart, CW! big_smile  BESOS to you!

1. countrywomen profile image60
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Elena Thanks for appreciating.http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/clapping.gifBesos/flowers for you.http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/LisaMznutz/Smilies/flowersforyou.gif

24. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

Even trolling from Mark Knowles is preferable to this. wink

25. Mireille G profile image59
    Mireille Gposted 14 years ago

I am relatively new at posting on hubs but I am an old goat and face things straight on. So let me see if I can convey my opinion and feelings about this.
    1 We will gain and loose fans, let's not waste too much energy on it, accept it as a fact of life.
    2 We join people's fans because it makes our numbers go up, sometimes because we really like what they write, sometimes just to return the favor. It is what it is.
    3 We are all very busy, too busy to read everything we land on. One thing we can do that only takes a click and no time is to give the people in our fan list that we visit a UP click, if we don't have time for a comment.
    4 Courtesy and reciprocal courtesy is beneficial to the giver and the receiver.
    Thanks for reading this if you took the time. Have a great day and build more hubs regardless of the reason why you do it. If you are in my fan club, I will continue to visit once in a while and give you a up if I can't leave a comment.

26. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years ago

In the last few hrs when posting about 30 hubs for the hubchallenge I lost a fair few fans.  Hopefully they'll be back (and not in a Terminator kind of way).

27. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I also lost my ceiling fan today..

28. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I was at 69 fans for about a week, then I had 70.  Now, I am back to 69.  I guess 69 is my lucky number.  I can't get away from it. wink  Seriously, though, it kind of sucks to lose a fan.  I guess they got to know me better.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image76
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're kinky...lol

29. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Well, I just notice these things. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

psst can you share why you chose your nic?
      im curious is all smile

1. Anti-Valentine profile image76
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It started years ago. I was an angry person. I guess I don't view relationships, love, or even life with the same enthusiasm and gullibility that most do.

I use different nicks on different sites though. smile

Ok cool ,thankyou for responding, and I think you seem quite lovely smile

30. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I gained a fan  smile

31. Anti-Valentine profile image76

I try. I like to joke around on HP sometimes. It's the only real forum or site that I've taken the time to get "into".

"Lovely" is probably one of the most unique words someone has used to describe me, especially without meeting me. smile

Is that word commonly used your way- in NZ, I'm guessing by the name?

"Lovely" is unique? well yes I spose it might be if you are not use to it, and it is indeed used alot in New Zealand , a throwback from colonial days.
      Funny thing you mention unique though, because my new neighbor friend after chatting for a few minutes said .."Oh youre a "hoot", my mind thought , ok I remind her of an owl , is that a good thing , shes laughing so it must be ok ..lol ( and thats with the ability to read body language)
      so "lovely" is nice n friendly rolled into one (my opinion)

32. Anti-Valentine profile image76

Yes, "a real hoot". I often hear that in movies, but not in real life. It's a positive thing, for sure. It's like saying, "you're a real riot!" I think.

33. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Fans come and go--half the time they click the fan thing impulsively and then have to weed out people because their mailboxes get swamped. Don't take it to heart.

If you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one. Let it go bgamall. It happens. smile

34. Tuff Kid profile image58
    Tuff Kidposted 14 years ago

I have none so its way worse for me!!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, showing yourself on the forums doesn't hurt.  I read a few of your hubs and they are good.  I am a new fan!

35. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Agree with PGrundy. Unless you specifically know who unfanned you and the reason behind it, it doesn't matter. Fandom abhors a vacuum, and s new fan (or fans) will swoosh in and take his/her place!

We've all lost fans. Like life outside, life within Hub Pages is not a linear rise to the top! MM

36. Tuff Kid profile image58
    Tuff Kidposted 14 years ago

haha I'm still learning!

37. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

All you can do is post your positions, if they don't like it too bad. You have a welcoming forum so don't sweat it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)