jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

Those of you worrying about having your work copied...

1. 0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 7 years ago

I have had several comments about this now. I have never had any problem with people stealing my work. Basically it's because I have this on my home page -

"All my hubs are protected under British and American Copy Right Law. All rights reserved Luke Andrew Marr 2009 © All titles of poems and poems are copy righted. All my work is protected under the 1911 Copy Right Act and the 1956 Copy Right Act which state that the second I have written it down it becomes protected by Copy Right Law. I am also protected under the 1998 Sonny Bono Act which states that my work is protected for 120 years. It is protected by American, English, Australian and many other Copy Right Laws. On top of that I am also protected by the Intellectual Property Law and the Database Right of EU Law. I am also protected by the related author rights thus stated in (Art. 1 Rome; Art. 7.1 Geneva; Art. 1.2 WPPT).  Basically, the message here is; don't try and plagiarize because I know my stuff."

If you state it people are less likely to steal your work. Just change my name for yours and change the EU law bit to where you are.

Simple =]

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

haha...i was thinking about copying your copying notice. smile

thanks! i think i might use it, or a derivative...

2. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Copyright is one word, not two.

2. 0

Please do -

Just remember to change the name part because otherwise your hubs belong to me

1. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I will definitely have to copy that Luke and will change the name because NO you can't have my hubs lol

3. 0
    A Texanposted 7 years ago

Sonny Bono act, I forgot about ol sonny.

4. 0

I have no idea what it is - I just know it protects me...

1. 0
      A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sonny and Cher, maybe you are too young.

1. 0
        Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I KNOW THEM! hehe and I didn't know though that there is a Bono act.

5. 0
    A Texanposted 7 years ago
  6. 0

Feel free =]

7. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I spent time today editing every one of my hubs to state they are copyrighted.  I didn't want to add 2009 to some of my hubs that are aimed at selling products from amazon (good advice from Nelle).

8. 0

If you don't add the 2009 bit then the copyright is void. It's because copyright only lasts for a certain amount of time so you need to state the start date.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure what the law is outside of the United States, but in the U.S.:

You don't need to adorn it with a copyright notice or register it, etc.  A copyright notice may deter some kinds of plagiarism, but certainly not those using scripts to do their work.   

A large copyright notice in every hub feels somewhat unprofessional to me (do newspapers or magazines do this?), but it's certainly your prerogative.

1. 0
        cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yes that is true.

i embed tiny notices in my text is so when they do get stolen people will read it and flag it at whatever site they find it in. exposure is the best way to deal with thiefs and thugs, IMHO.

9. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Copyright Sufidreamer 2009. If you steal or copy this work, I will send 300 Spartans round to kick your ass.

On a serious note, Paul Deeds has it right - certainly for Hubs etc., although it may well work as a deterrent.

For books, long magazine articles and any other valuable work, you are best to actually register your work with your national copyright organization. If anybody steals it, you are then entitled to sue them for damages, loss of earnings, and costs.

I am sure that I can find a $500 per hour lawyer big_smile

10. 0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

there's the rub.

they know few people will find out, they gamble on the work actually being included in the Register of Copyrights, and if it is, then they gamble on the author actually taking legal action. it costs $25 a pop to register stuff. i have stuff reigstered but have never posted it anywhere because even if it is protected people will still steal it.

they have no shame.

11. earner profile image86
    earnerposted 7 years ago

They don't care.
    Even if you find it, where would the money come from to sue them?
    What if they're in a foreign country far far away?
    If they have nothing, then you can get nothing.

It's annoying, but, with digital media, when you put yourself out there, it's bound to happen.

12. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Any original work is deemed copyrighted and theft of it can be pursued in the courts. I'm pretty sure you can only go after  loss of revenue. The only thing that filing a formal copyright does is allow you to pursue additional punitive damages and legal costs in court.

And trust me, there are tons of sleazy lawyers out there who take on internet copyright cases on contingency. If they win, they get a percentage. If they don't, they walk away with nothing.