Wny does Amazon not accept affiliates from North Carolina?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Jebranto profile image61
    Jebrantoposted 14 years ago

I got a message from Amazon saying they did not accept affi;iates from North Carolina. Any idea why this is and suggestion how to work this out to become an affiliate?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because it is not south carolina

2. profile image57
      SEOGuy29posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am from NC and was part of the Amazon affiliate program, but they notified me some months ago that I was being removed from the program.  It has something to do with the new legislation that Gov. Dr. Bev Perdue got passed in terms of taxes and how affiliate would be taxed when promoting things from "online retailers."  Amazon wasn't the only program I got removed from, either.  I think I got removed from shopNBC and another one as well.  From what I gather, the legislation affects any site that sells physical products, so there is a good chance you might not get accepted if you apply.  I don't know if all merchants that allow affiliates to promote physical products are like this, though.  On the bright side, Amazon doesn't pay that much, anyway.  For now, I am sticking to digital products and service-oriented sites that don't require the physical shipment of goods.

Joey

2. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Not sure of the exact reason but it runs something like this. NC and a few other states want Amazon to pay taxes or collect taxes or something on sales Amazon made from Affiliates in that state.  It goes something like that.

Amazon's solution to avoid the tax situation was simply not have any affiliates in that state. I'm sure someone can give you a more precise answer but that's what I recall.

I doubt there is a workaround with Amazon unless your state changes its tax policy or amazon changes theirs.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Move to another state.

Amazon dropped their affiliate program in North Carolina in June 2009,http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/090626-075141

4. broalexdotinfo profile image56
    broalexdotinfoposted 14 years ago

Now that is funny..

I'm an amazon associate from Romania.

LoL

1. Jebranto profile image61
      Jebrantoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is hilarious!

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Another example of American companies screwing Americans in favor of foreigners.

Amazon doesn't allow affiliates from Rhode Island either. And if I lived in Maryland I would start to worry, because they are actively considering an internet sales tax law identical to North Carolina and Rhode Island. Once a state adopts this law or even, before Amazon gives affiliates the boot. If you want more info on this issue here's a link http://nyaffiliatevoice.com/ I've had friends who weren't prepared and lost 90 percent of their income overnight.

Relache for some of us it's not that easy to move to another state. I already split my time between two - Massachusetts and Maryland. I have started a series of websites that feature merchants to don't give affiliates the boot when their states adopt an interent sales tax. Because Massachusetts actively considered this law last year.

1. profile image57
      SEOGuy29posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just happy this law doesn't effect Clickbank.

Joey

6. bspider profile image60
    bspiderposted 14 years ago

For those of us who live in the states who cannot join the Amazon affiliate network, does anyone have a good replacement affiliate program?

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

for hubpages your only alternative is ebay, if they accept affiliates from internet tax states. If you have other websites here's a link that tells you the merchants that are willing to work with you. http://nyaffiliatevoice.com/nyaffiliatemerchants/
      It's not just Amazon that refuses to have NC,NY or RI affiliates it's most of them.

7. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Just a note here...I am an NC and had to take all my Amazon stuff down as well.
    BUT if you have the old "a-store" that links to a site, leave it up.
    The link carries Google backlink weight, so even if you aren't making money from Amazon, the link might help with your PR.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)