Adsense Insanity

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I just published a new Hub, tagged with things like "spirituality" and "meditation".

What did Adsense think was an appropriate ad to display on this Hub?

Tattoo Art Gallery
    Never Miss Art Gallery Events Again With MyTickets Free Alerts

Now, we will leave aside the fact that this ad makes NO SENSE whatsoever and isn't going to get a click, no matter where it's shown - stupid advertisers are out of anyone's control.

But how on earth do tattoos, art galleries, or tickets have any relevance to the content of a page about spirituality and surrender?

Perhaps all the rumors about "the death of Adsense" aren't grossly exaggerated, after all ... it certainly seems to have dementia ...

Jenny

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

You are lucky not to get "naked angelina jolie", there were cases big_smile

3. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Some times it takes a couple of days for adsense to check out hubs, in the process of your hub waiting to be checked by the google spiders, "public service ads will be shown" usually these ads are related to popular ads in hubpages already.....jimmy

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's what I've found.  I get some strange ads too.  The thing is, with so much "free" stuff on my hubs, the first ads I get are usually for "make money online" for some reason, and believe it or not, those ads get a lot of hits.

People are greedy, what can I say?

Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It has just dawned on me why the people who make lots of money on HubPages all write lots of Hubs on tattoos - because those are the ads that show on your Hub during the first couple of days, and that's the period of time when you get "recency" value on the search engines and are listed higher up on the organic search results.

Having the ads match the content gets you more clicks, so it's a case of "bringing the mountain to Mohammed", making the content match the ads, since the ads won't match the content ....

That's it - all you people wondering how to make a fortune on HubPages - write about tattoos!!

Jenny

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The reason there are lots of ads for tattoos is because there's lots of hubs on tattoos.

The ones getting a lot of attention are the tatt hubs, and that has influenced the google bots.

So in case you thought people were writing the hubs because there was lots of ads, it's in fact the other way around.

4. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Liek Jimmy said, it usually takes time to show relative links on your hubs. I've had hubs take a day or 2 but some only take an hour. I've even had hubs revert from relevent hubs to PSA's and then back after re-editing them (open to edit and just hit publish without changing anything).

5. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 16 years ago

I read advice here (sorry can't remember who from) to publish your hub, then leave for a couple of days before promoting, to give Adsense time to come up with some sensible, clickable ads.

6. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Hi Jenny,

Its usually a good practice to include in the tags section keywords directly from your text. Do not use keywords that are not in the text as this might be penalised as with any poor seo practice. The bot should pick up on the tags section and place the appropriate ads. Use more than one word keywords so you attract the long tail keyword approach.

Works everytime.

7. profile image50
    broalexposted 16 years ago

On all my hubs I get weird Ads but they only stay there for no more than 30 minutes big_smile Mostly I have seen the "Famous Tattoo Ads" .. they might be some kind of broken links or something has anybody tried clicking on those ads ? (not their personal) lol

8. bloggerdollar profile image73
    bloggerdollarposted 16 years ago

Every Hub shows tatoo ads at start this is normal after some traffic it will correct.

BUT there are some unfortunate cases like my PES 2008 Tricks & Moves Hub is displaying ads for magic tricks. I have traffic but won't get any clicks probably.

9. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Yeah, I'm actually pretty au fait with the whole correlation vs causality thing, it was more of a joke, really. Throwing the money-seekers into the most crowded niche here ...

There must be a LOT of tattoo Hubs, though, because that's just about the only topic I ever see coming up on my new Hubs.

Unless the algorithm is first-past-the-post, that suggests there is a huge weighting towards that particular topic ...

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen them around for a while but at one stage HubPages Inc was trialling Ebay ads (a similar contextual system to Adsense, and it they used their own share of the pageviews for the trial) and I saw an overabundance of "dog food" ads. More so than these tattoo ads. It was dreadful.

10. outspan profile image61
    outspanposted 16 years ago

Just wanted to add that implementing an algorithm that figures out what the page content is about is not a trivial task -- understanding of natural language is one of the greatest challenges in AI smile
    If you're interested, this is probably the most advanced company in the field:

http://www.cyc.com/

there's also a part of the site in which you can teach the system new things smile

And if you're into AI, this is really a beautiful video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTy601uiMcY

11. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

After a few days of being published, I usually look at the ads and take that as an indicator of whether I have got the content and tags right. If I am getting inappropriate ads - it probably means I am getting inappropriate search engine traffic also - so I try to fix it....

Having said that, some subjects are very difficult for them to find and get right. I write a blog on "cubicle culture" and am consistently getting ads for toilet cubicles. LOL - You can't win them all.
    big_smile

Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Good point! I'll look at the ads on my Hubs now, instead of filtering them out of my perception as I usually do.

LOL

Perhaps Google is not so far off the mark, actually. It's a pretty shitty life working in a cube ...

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)