Drafting a hub - dumb newbie questions

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I've got an idea for my first hub and hope to start working on it in the next few days.

If I were writing my hub as a straight article, I would probably end up with 7-8 sections and use subheadings for each one.

Looking at the guide, I note a recommendation to use a number of smaller text capsules rather than one big one and mix them up with picture capsules.

How do you experienced hubbers go about designing this? Do you write all your text in advance and then chop it up into as many text capsules as you have sections? Do you start by deciding how many text capsules you want and their size and then write text to fit each one? Is there a maximum number of text capsules that shouldn't be exceeded for aesthetic reasons?

Also, I note there are instructions for inserting a URL into a picture capsule to link to an image on the Web. Does this mean I can link to any image, or can it only be to my own or a public domain image?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It varies, sometimes I decide ahead of time how I will break it up and sometimes I just decide when I am creating the hub.

In terms of pictures, you should only use your own or public domain images.

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So far, the written hubs that I present have all come from free thinking and typing. I haven't had to write down a subject, before writing the hub itself.

But, as for you query about breaking down your text? I do that, but have no set standard to work by, like only so many sentences or words per capsule. I just write anything in one capsule, until I'm done writing. Then, to break it down, I copy and paste from one capsule to another, so as to keep everything in line and on point.

Linking to other images, I would recommend as UW says.

3. Frugal Fanny profile image58
      Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly new also, but I've posted a few hubs.  Some were a less conventional format: a few sub-headings, with numbered lists under each.  One hub (linked below), and I think it is my best so far, was treated a bit like an essay.  I opened up with an introductory paragraph stating the intention and subject of my article, then spent the next few paragraphs (or capsules if you wish) discussing the intended subjects, and added pictures where appropriate.

(I don't know if we are allowed to paste links to our own hubs, but oh well...)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Weird-Wonderful-Dogs-Part-1

I'm by no means an expert, but that's my approach. Hope it helps!

2. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

It really depends on the length of the hub I am writing.  In general, I write, edit and format in Word.  I always keep a copy of what is written and what is published on HP and any other site I am using.  After completing the article, I decide how and where it is appropriate to split it.  Adding photos and videos are good ways to add emphasis and examples of what you are writing.  After all the mock ups are done, I copy and paste into the hub (okay, I'm sure there is a shorter way, but I'm more comfortable doing it this way smile  )  Hope this helps.  big_smile

3. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I'm like Cagsil--I just type, I don't copy paste anything or map out a structure. But, seperating your text is always a good idea. If you haven't already, take a little time to view other hubbers work. See how the layout their hubs. It can help a lot to see how others set things up smile

4. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I typically write in a word processing format, then decide how to design the page. In having the hub written I can then layout where I want text breaks or pictures or how I want a particular paragraph highlighted with a photo or vice versa.

5. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

When I write, I've already got the capsules of text broken up.  Sometimes I change my mind, though, since it's easy to fix.

On pictures, use your own, public domain ones (e.g. the "creative commons" ones), and you can use photos from some people who have tagged them "some rights reserved."  When they post that label, there's usually a place to click that tells you that you can use the pictures as long as you give attribution (which for me, is a link back to their site's URL).

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

You can try out different ideas when you are putting the hub together by using the preview feature; if I do n't like the lay out then I alter how much text goes into each capsule. You can save it (the  hub) unpublished then think about it and then add or subtract what features you want at that stage. Sometimes I change the arrangement of the capsules and photos because I find the position of the ads. is not as I had expected.

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

There are no set rules.  You might want to bear in mind that the recommended maximum length for any article on the internet is 1,500 words - there are longer Hubs, but most readers' eyes glaze over around the 1,500 word point, apparently. If your article is longer than that, you may want to consider splitting it up into two related Hubs (but try to make each one stand-alone as well).

If you want sub-headings, then make each new heading the start of a new text capsule. 

Photos - all photos on the internet are copyright unless stated otherwise, so you can't just use any photo.  Look for public domain photos (wikimedia) or photos that are licensed under Creative Commons for commercial use.  For Creative Commons photos, you must include a hyperlink to the photographer's website in your Hub somewhere (not in the caption, because that doesn't link).

Google has a creative commons search but it's buggy, and often throws up copyright images, so I don't trust it.  I use Flickr exclusively - go to their Advanced Search, click "creative commons" and "for commercial use" and you'll get all the photos you're allowed to use.

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Thank you all so much for taking the trouble to give me such detailed answers. It's a wonderful welcome to the world of hubbing.

I'm about to dive in and start *gulp*

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)