How do you like to prepare for a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Alistair Olver profile image61
    Alistair Olverposted 11 years ago

How do you like to prepare for a hub?

Do you like to write out an outline on paper first or start typing straight away?

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I like to line all my ducks in a row before I click on "start a new hub." When I get an idea, I look for images/shoot some of my own, download, and label them. I jot down hand written notes/ ideas/subtitles. I research the topic/look for links to add to hub. I start by writing in Word: title, summary, and intro. Then it flows and I can add everything in as I need it, step by step, capsule by capsule.

1. Alistair Olver profile image61
      Alistair Olverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I write in long hand, a bit old fashioned these days, but on other occassions I will build the hub online once I have done the research.

3. Brandon Tart profile image62
    Brandon Tartposted 11 years ago

Depends on the mood I am in.  Often enough, I go for it in the edit box and then review it several times before publishing it. 

However, when I write a poem, for instance, I am far more critical of meter and other devices lyrically; writing prose is for me, basically a model of my own mannerisms in speech so I "freestyle."

The old adage that "there is a difference between the spoken word and the written word" is both true and false. People don't sit around at Starbucks and speak in Iambic Pentameter the way "Bill SHAKES" made his era look. They didn't speak that way then, though, it certain that they spoke differently, as it is more than evident that they wrote differently.  These days, such authors are acclaimed as Literary Fiction Writers due to the aesthetics of their prose.  I happen to favor such literature, as today, we are bombarded with people who sound over-caffinated, like, this, like, like, like Facebook and stuff like that.

Preparedness is tough when you write either creatively, or philosophically.  Intuition moves one through the syntax of their sentences there, I believe, and could result in staleness if their creative or philosophical acumen isn't impromptu. 

Now, if I were writing less like the aforementioned, and instead, far more like one writing non-fic, then I would have my ducks in a row, references in place and an outline for whatsoever my modus operandi is regarding my writing.  Otherwise, I stay fairly loose, and even toy with language quite heavily because I love conceptual writing: my T(r)endency.

It's a good question to ask one's self, though.  I have deleted hubs that were very choppy in so far as content was concerned, and at other times, intentional discursiveness was imbedded much like Nietzsche, Barthes, Kant and even Edgar Allen Poe.  These are several of my influences, so its not uncommon that my preparedness might come from seeing something in their work that I want to either appropriate as an author to, or expand on what they've contributed by; or disagree with them if current thinking allows for it in the grand scheme of things literary. 

Most of all, I prepare by relaxation, camping, hiking, drawing, sculpting, reading and a host of other things where thought and feeling grant me access to my next Hub.  Beyond that, I never sit to map out my diatribes, though I do, as I said, rinse and re-rinse my poetry because it is awkward enough to expose such subjective thought and feeling as though "prepared for nudity."

4. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

I used to write the whole draft out in long hand but now I just tend to write down ideas, headings, thoughts, memory joggers etc. I then decide on a heading as this gives me direction for content. I tend to do this either in Word and copy it over to the capsules or if I'm short for time - whis is usual - then I write directly into the capsules. However, I always keep a notebook and my original headings, thoughts and so on with me as I write the article.

5. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

1. Think
    2. Research
    3. Assemble references
    4. Plan outline
    5. Start writing introduction

Having said that sometimes the introduction takes off and becomes a hub with no further work needed.  Usually those are good regardless of popularity

1. BlossomSB profile image80
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A good comment. Once I have an idea I create a title and type 'brainstorm' thoughts in the first capsule. Under your 'Assemble references' I find or take photographs  and add in order. That helps with planning.

6. JimTxMiller profile image75
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

Generally, I find the capsules are about all the "outline" I need for writing a hub. I'll open a text capsule for each main point, and sometimes all I will have initially is a bunch of capsules with "working" titles interspersed with graphic capsules. Then I begin fleshing out, capsule by capsule.

1. Brandon Tart profile image62
      Brandon Tartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

TEX - I did that for the first time recently with the capsules, and for the life of me, I could not maintain my flow. The external work to my beginning left me rolling along like a tumbling tumble weed - RANDOM.  The hub sits unpublished: dung

7. Rfordin profile image79
    Rfordinposted 11 years ago

I usually come up with an idea and then "create a hub". I write a summary for it and let it "fester" a few days to gain a semi-credible score (usually in the 70's).

I add the capsules which are usually the "main points" I am trying to portray and then work on each capsule adding references, thoughts, pics etc.

I find that I usually have a bunch of empty capsules within a hub that just have titles.... but it allows me time to dedicate to each point or capsule.

It takes me quite a while to complete one hub so if I create a hub and then add the points I want to address right there I can always come back to my thoughts at a later date (when my life allows).

Right now I have about 13 hubs just waiting for me to come back to.... I will probably start more before I finnish another one to be honest. I usually "hold titles" until the mood strikes on that topic.

I know I'm a disorganized, procrastinating mess....but it works for me. I WISH I could "hub" more......

~Becky

8. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Hello Alistair. Most hubs I don't. A few I have. The few I have did not do well. However, many were poems where I added to for reasons of content and not necessarily context. One may consider many times poems have a tinge of objective and subjective mingled together.

Answering the second question when I write an essay,

I research the paper

create a thesis statement paragraph

a rough conclusion paragraph

Determine word length

Build the body

Being an NHRA Drag Racing fan, familiar with building hot rods and cars, I have a lean toward that style of thinking. I am odd maybe. I decide if I want a hard grabbing lower end with a bunch gear ratio or if I want a long shift to 4th and great top end. No nitrous either. Only naturally aspirated. I hope that makes some kind of sense allegorically or metaphorically.

tim

9. rfmoran profile image73
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

First I use the Google Keyword too to get the best title.

Next I look for useful photos Usually I use Wikimedia Commons)

Then I look to Youtube for appropriate videos.

Then I write the hub

Then I assemble it on HP

10. GoodLady profile image91
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

I like to think about the hub for a few days.  The subconscious provides the directions and ideas.
    I take the photographs; they set the article up completely. 
    I speak to people, do research.
    I like to research some adwords for subtitles. 
    Then I start work directly online because I need so much internet info about one thing or anther, picture credits, spelling, research, the adwords tool, so many bits and bobs.

11. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

I spend a lot of time thinking about my topic, once I have decided what that is! I let it mature like a fine wine. I then bring out my iPad, decide where I want to be for writing, and get with it! I remember it has to have some structure - beginning, body, end, and make sure I incorporate these. I do not write an outline - never have- but I am very aware that I need to keep thoughts and words focused on what is at hand.

12. profile image58
    pgornerposted 11 years ago

1) Bullet points. (sort of like an outline) 2) Have other writing you're supposed to do and really don't want to do it. 3) Be pissed about something. Most of my hubs for the last two years have been about Congress.

13. profile image80
    RichBestposted 11 years ago

I usually try to find as many sources as possible in advance, whether they are online resources available on the web or offline resources such as those you get from newspapers, magazines, tabloids, etc. Then, I'll start typing. smile

14. graveyard-rose profile image72
    graveyard-roseposted 11 years ago

Personally, I get different Ideas from different places. However, I think, would people actually want to look that up? If so, I think of what type of picture I want, if there is a YouTube video to help portray the subject matter, and then I just let it flow. (I try to incorporate SEO tips which I do have a hub on that.) http://graveyard-rose.hubpages.com/hub/ … og-Traffic

15. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

Firstly, I decide the topic which I want to write about (about which I already know a bit). Then search a little about it on net. Gather some tips & finally start writing. Takes me approx. 2 days to conclude my hub.

16. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Once I have my idea I start typing and then go from there, but I tend to let the hubs "simmer" a bit before publishing. Even then, I'll go back and revise it.

17. eHealer profile image65
    eHealerposted 11 years ago

Hello Alistair, I usually get an idea from someone that has either asked me about a topic,or when I have encountered health issues with clients or family members (including me). I generally write what I know and strive to prepare extensive and responsible research with research or empirical evidence. I start an outline and usually write the introduction last, because I'm not sure where it's going all the time.
    I try to provide the most info possible.

18. Denmarkguy profile image84
    Denmarkguyposted 11 years ago

In general... but not always:

I start with an idea of sorts; often something that occurred to me while I sat in traffic, or was cooking dinner when it struck me "this would make a good article," so I scratched some notes on a piece of paper.

With a fair sense of where I am going to take the idea, I "start a new hub"... and start by writing the "summary" which helps me define my thesis-- essentially "This is what the article is about, in three sentences. For the moment I only use a "working title," but I ALWAYS create a custom URL made up of the most significant words that define the article. I don't like monster long URLs.

Then I add a bunch of segments (text, photos, amazon, etc.) based roughly on how I sense the article will end up subdivided. I use my own photos 99% of the time... so I end up having to do a little photo formatting (love Photoshop!) at this point.

Next, I start editing each text segment and uploading the photos. I add what I think will be be my subheadings, and quick bulleted lists of the high points I want to cover in each section. If there are certain specific things I KNOW I want to include, I write those out in rough draft format. I always use specific books referenced in the text as "recommendations," so I go find those on amazon and add them into the amazon modules.

90% of the time, I "save unpublished" at this point and go away for several days. Or weeks. The actual filling in of content happens in the course of multiple sessions. At any given time, I probably have 3-8 hubs "in the works." I add bits and pieces here and there, re-read, go away, rep-read, revise, add, subtract.

Keep in mind, though, that I mostly write "in-depth" informational articles to a small niche market, most of which end up being 1200-3000 words in length... if I were writing "movie reviews" or small instructional hubs I'm sure my process would be quite different. I'm trying to create "evergreen" expert content that hopefully ends up being organically linked to from web sites and ezines without my needing to prompt that. So far, I'm batting about .500 on that...

~Peter

1. Brandon Tart profile image62
      Brandon Tartposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dude - I like your answer - and yes, using one's own photos (if I may) help one to stick with their own voice... your work and YOUR WORK side by side.  I do, too!  I think it establishes authenticity, and I'm glad to know that you go that route! BHT

19. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 11 years ago

I keep my computer on from the time I get up till I retire for the night. If an inspiration hits me, I open the notebook file and start a new document. I write what pours out of my mind, save it, then let it sit there till I can come back and read it. I edit and smooth out all the kinks, correct spellings, etc. When I feel good about it, I put it into my word doc and edit it again. When it is in a format I like and it sounds good to me, I put it into Google docs and edit again.

Once I am satisfied with the way my article looks and reads, I go in search of images to enhance my article. I put the images in my image account. I then go to HubPages and create my hub.

It is a lot of work, yet it gives me a hub I am pleased with and feel good enough about to publish.

20. Emanate Presence profile image70
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

You've received lots of good responses, and I will add my 2 cents worth.

My system is to first create a new folder with the hub title.

Then I start filling the folder.

I open a blank document and start writing without judging myself.

Generally, once I am on a topic and sleep on it, I wake up with words to pencil onto the paper by my bed.

I give it a few days to settle. There is always more, and I like to let it mature naturally.

Whenever an idea for an image or video comes, I search my files and the internet.

When the article is about as complete as I can make it, I read it out loud to Kati, my life partner. That always shows me sentences that need to be made clearer or more smooth. And she gives me wonderful input, often resulting in a complete re-write!

Then, when we sign off on the article together and I have the images and video, I start putting the pieces in place.

21. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

I know outlines can be very helpful and sometimes when I'm having a difficult time knowing where I want to go with an article an outline has come in handy. However, I usually just start typing straight away. I like to discover where something is going as I go along most of the time because when something occurs to me I get excited about it in that moment and my brain start telling my fingers to type...type...type.

22. Ronna Pennington profile image80
    Ronna Penningtonposted 11 years ago

I start typing. Lots of my Hubs are either crafts that I have made or school papers I have written. In the case of school papers, it's a simple upload. Crafts, though, I like to make and test my instructions...and take my own pics.

23. LouTucci profile image75
    LouTucciposted 11 years ago

Have a drink. No, I'm kidding. Have a drink. No, I'm kidding. It's was ever idea or memory that I have that I'd like to share.

24. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

I take the photographs first and crop, etc. and get them ready to go.  Then I open a Word document and start typing, without making an outline.  Then I start a new hub, pull in the photos and text, create a summary and add Amazon or eBay capsules.  I publish, and go back and obsessively re-read and edit about 10 times.

25. FitnezzJim profile image76
    FitnezzJimposted 11 years ago

It depends, I read far more than I write.  When I do write, the article will almost always have its first and second drafts done in Word prior to being cut-and-pasted into HubPage modules.
    For some, I just write freestyle, almost stream of conscience. 
    For others, I’ll carefully word and reword, organize and re-organize, research titles, and look around to see who might have already generated offerings on whatever topic I’ll be writing about.  After being drafted into HubPage modules, I’ll look around for music, videos or pictures that are appropriate to add for the topic of the article, and decide whether to include them.  The process of refining and reviewing from there usually takes two or three days before I hit publish.
    Both methods have led to both reasonable success in some cases, abject failure in other cases, and moderate interest in others.  For all, I go back and review occasionally to see if I want to modify and keep the article out there or delete it.
    As for ideas, if I have an idea for an article, I’ll write down the title and add it to a list of possible future articles, and review those occasionally.

26. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

Research, research, research! I usually begin collecting related articles a week in advance.

27. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

I usually write it out on paper first. But not always. My preference has been to write it  on paper first; usually after having taken quite a bit of notes on ideas, etc. When I use photos, I sketch ideas for the photos first, then go take the photos. If it's a subject I feel like I can almost just write spontaneously, I'll go straight to the hub and start typing.

28. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

I come to hubpages, pick a title etc and start typing after checking a few things out on the google keyword tool , Inbetween typing I put my photos in place ,any maps etc . I do a spell check etc  before publishing it .

29. sassytuts profile image61
    sassytutsposted 11 years ago

I think thinking better ideas for a good  topic is essential. Then of course we should write the piece first in documents. Formatting your document thoroughly is also
    very important as it gives much credibilty to the article.

30. Alistair Olver profile image61
    Alistair Olverposted 11 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It is great to here of all the different methods one uses to prepare a hub. Whatever works for you is the best approach, there is no write method, and if you can't think what to write about, walk away and wait for the inspiration to come.

Happy hubbing. smile

31. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I usually start with a bunch of "scratch" notes written on paper, because a lot of times I've come up with a Hub idea when I wasn't near a computer. Writing a few quick notes ensures that I won't forget the idea later.

32. rclinton5280 profile image64
    rclinton5280posted 11 years ago
  33. Silver Poet profile image70
    Silver Poetposted 11 years ago

I make a mental outline. If I'm not going to do the hub right away I write it down and save it for later. Sometimes ideas come to me when I'm out and about, and it helps to have paper and pencil handy.

34. ct92 profile image68
    ct92posted 11 years ago

Researching, researching, researching.
    Writing a few notes
    Checking up on the grammar, multiple times.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)