Suggestions, please!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. classicalgeek profile image83
    classicalgeekposted 14 years ago

Hi, yes, I'm a newbie. I read a lot about hubpages before joining, and I have just written my first two hubs and would like some suggestions for these, and for writing hubs in general. I would especially appreciate help on layout--usually I do okay in layout for print and normal web pages, but this is a little different.

Here are my first two hubs:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/herbs-in-the-landscape
    http://hubpages.com/hub/medieval-crafts … o-yourself

All constructive criticism taken to heart and appreciated, thank you!

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I read your medieval crafts Hub and thought it was really good!  The layout and images you used are great.  Welcome to HubPage - I think you will be very successful here!

classicalgeekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much your your encouragement and quick reply. I was worried because I didn't seem to be scoring very highly.

Is there anything else I should add to that hub? I haven't tried all the capsules yet and don't know what they all do--is there a hub already on this?

3. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I just read your 'herbs in the landscape' and am quite impressed! Well done!
    welcome here...! smile

Thank you so much for your kindness in reading my hub and your support. But if there's anything I could do to improve it I would love to hear about it. I take a lot of pride in my work and would like to know that I am doing everything I can to produce quality pages.

4. CMHypno profile image83

Scores rise slowly, as does traffic.  You have only been here a couple of days, so don't worry.  Get yourself known in the forums, read hubs and leave comments and keep writing quality content!

It will take several months before things really start to move, so patience is the key to success at Hubpages!

5. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

Really, not bad at all.  Both hubs kept my attention all the way through, which is exactly what you want to happen. Interesting content, well laid out, and it was enjoyable.

I'll offer you a couple tips though, but these aren't really all that big of a deal.

First, make sure your links work.  I clicked on one and it took me nowhere.  "http://hubpages.com/hub/herbs-in-the-landscape#mce_temp_url%23" It looks like an amazon link.  There is an amazon capsule for that, but I believe you can also link directly in your article.  Either way, after you publish, test the links to make sure they work.

In general, I like to leave my links towards the bottom.  The reason is simple: I want people to read through the article first before heading off to another website.  In addition, I'd rather the ads and product links to appear first, so that they have a greater chance of being clicked on.  It's really more of a personal preference though..

Really, good hubs, all of them.  It takes time for traffic to rise, so I wouldn't worry right now.  I've been here for about a month, and my first couple hubs are finally starting to get a decent amount of traffic through Google.  It just takes time.

You're well on your way. big_smile

Thank you for pointing that broken link out. I fixed it. I did use an Amazon capsule but I could not see a way to link to listmania lists, or search pages, or anything else like Amazon forum posts or how-to guides through the Amazon capsules.

Now, why is it that I can't get the links on my other hub to work? I can't modify the descriptions which means I can't translate them into English or make a useful comment on them . . . (It's my click-to-donate hub.)

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya know, I enjoyed the hell out of that article, "Change the World in your Spare Time."  Great idea, that.

As far as the Amazon thing, man, I don't know.. I haven't really gone into that much detail with amazon lists, so hopefully someone with a lot more experience than I have can answer that for ya.

The links seem to work fine.  You should be able to go back and edit your links capsule on that hub - click edit link in the capsule - and then type your title and description in there.  If that doesn't work, it may be a technical problem, although I've never had any problems with it.

My friend, I wish you the best!  You're off to a great start!

I tried that, the character limit doesn't change in the description, so maybe it is a technical problem. Oh, well . . . I'll try again another day. I'm so glad you're enjoying my hubs, and BTW I've been to see the sights in Oklahome numerous times. Now do one about the drive from Talihina to Mena wink

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
            Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eventually, I was going to write a hub about that, I just don't have enough information yet... The old military road along that drive just fascinates me for some reason - but then again, I love all things different and historic.  Beautiful drive though..

I would shoot an email to the hub guys though and ask them about the link thing.. Maybe they could help ya out with the lists as well.  I'm sure there's a way to do it, it's just beyond my not-so-technical expertise. big_smile

2. GOZIEM profile image59
      GOZIEMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must tell you it is every nice one

Thank you so much for the compliment!

6. CMHypno profile image83

In Hubpages the Amazon capsule lets you put in keywords to find products or you can choose specific products and paste in the codes.  Don't think you can do any of the other stuff - drop the Hubpages team an email and they will give you any info you need to know.

I get a lot of Amazon traffic from promoting stuff via listmania! lists and how-to guides. You can always contact me privately for an example of a hilarious article that has earned me a LOT of Amazon sales through the listmania! feature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)