Ok, how do you REALLY get traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. AllanWrites profile image61
    AllanWritesposted 14 years ago

I am aware of all the tactics used, and the only practical ones are:

-"Original" Content
    -Establishing Backlinks
    -Paying for traffic

I'm not going to do the third.

Some people get thousands of hits a day. I get like 50-100 a day if i'm lucky. What exactly is going on that i'm not doing? My articles have received only good feedback so far. It's discouraging to see no traffic and no profit after taking the time to write quality stuff.

I stopped writing. I want to see traffic before I invest my time in this. What's the point in writing without readers? Even if it was non-profit the point would be valid. At the very least, I want a substantial audience to be helping and profiting from right?

So if you're someone who gets a significant reader base day after day swooping in to read your articles, please tell me how. Have I not waited long enough or something? Most of my traffic is internal, from hubpages. And we all know that's not the best way to get traffic (unless you're a featured writer or something.)

Relevant information:

I wrote a ton of articles in the first few days and ended up deleting like half of them. Then I slowed it down a bit and began to publish about one a day. Then I stopped.

I've been a member for about eight days.

I've received less than 500 lifetime hits.

I've established backlinks on 4-5 sites for a majority of my articles.

My hubscore went from 0 straight to 83 then dropped to 79. And my articles constantly fluctuate but remain in the 65-75 range.

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two other practical tactics you haven't mentioned:

Page Optimization and
      Patience

It takes a good 3-4 months before you start pulling visitors in the 1,000's and that's only if you work hard!

Keep at it smile

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your hubs aren't getting much above 75 then you need to work on the content and external links. Make sure you have some links photos and a video or 2. As for the traffic waiting for search engines is like watching the clock ust before time to get off work... it sucks  promote youself in a way that is not spammy and reach out to people interested in your topics. I wrote a hub about using blogs to bring traffic, I would like you to read it and see if it works for you as it has for me, I have almost 3500 views here in just over a month.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

You don't have to pay for traffic. Just have keywords that will bring people who search Google and other search engines can find you. I earn money but my articles average 71; longer articles usually get higher hubscores.

It can take more than 8 days for Google to find your article.

Are you following other hubbers? Are you commenting on their hubs? People will follow back if they like your content, some will follow you just because you are following them.

3. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 14 years ago

Try posting backlinks on facebook, myspace bulletins, twitter places like that.

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

It think you need to take a much longer term view of things.

You are not going to start earning after 8 days of writing.

I pull in thousands a day, and this took me a while to achieve. But, it does now allow me to work for myself.

Google traffic takes time to achieve, you have to build up a network of pages.  This takes time, and you might need to pick up a blogspot account for some external links. 

Building up Hubpages takes time, but it is NOT a waste of time, you just need to be patient, and work hard.

5. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

In general, I have the same problem.  I think, though, that as I post more hubs that the traffic will increase.  Then again, I'm marketing towards a very specific niche category, so all I have is an educated guess as to how much traffic it will bring.

-- Do your research on SEO.  Choosing the right keywords is extremely important.  Several of my hubs have been listed on page one of Google, so I get a lot of traffic from that - but that's the key, get front page results.

-- Check the title of your hubs - if they prompt people to click then even being on the front page will do little.

-- Do a lot of research on keywords.  I use the SeoQuake plugin for firefox, and it saves me a lot of time.

-- Check your backlinks - the more you have the better, but don't be spammy about it.  Use social bookmarking sites.  Download the Google toolbar and check out the "share" button. There's a ton of sites that you can submit your site to without penalty.

-- Create a separate blog that links back to your hubs.  Include a portion of your text and a link to see more.  By doing that, you have the added bonus of displaying more ads and using more affiliates.

On average, I get about 15-20 hits a day per hub.  It's not bad, it could be a lot better.  At 20 visits a day, and if I had 100 hubs.. well, that's 2,000 visits a day.  Figure out how that translates into income, and that'll give you an idea of what to expect.

Just remember, it takes time to establish yourself.  Keep posting new articles and see what happens a month or two down the road.  If you're still not satisfied, then you can make a decision.

I wish ya the best!

6. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

This won't help but.....try breaking down in the center lane of the interstate.  Now THAT will get you traffic.

7. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

It takes much, much more time then 8 days! Traffic is a long term, always in progress action. You should think in terms of 6 months or so to get good traffic.

If you have a website it's more like a year before you get good traffic. Anything you do on the web is a long term thing, it's not get rich quick.

Plus half of what you do ends up not being worth the time you spent doing it. Working on the net takes lots of time and patience. smile

8. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I am kinda learning that a lot of this stuff comes down to patience and persistence, the 2 P's. As I keep writing hubs I think my instinct for how likely the subject matter will actually be searched for is getting better. I have also noticed that hubs I wrote a while ago with high hopes for traffic are finally starting to look like they are coming to life and drawing in outside traffic. One hub actually was more written for this community and not for external traffic and yet it is starting to draw some outside traffic which has been a nice surprise. To me this says a few things, hubs are like wine and need to age a little wink. Being persistent about wanting lots of good hubs will help refine and focus your keyword and topic choices to product the results you want more and more with experience of what works. There are also fluctuations with what traffic your hubs will attract over time and by having many quality hubs on as many subjects should help to stabilize your over all traffic, if a search trend ends for a bit another hub will pick up the new trends.

I do think that if you do not enjoy the process, from learning about and getting a feel for keywords to writing for that topic and then wanting to find another topic to write to (to keep yourself busy) while you wait to see what the previous hub will do traffic wise, you will not enjoy hubbing and are not likely to make it the success you want.

9. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

"Some people get thousands of hits a day. I get like 50-100 a day if i'm lucky. What exactly is going on that i'm not doing? My articles have received only good feedback so far. It's discouraging to see no traffic and no profit after taking the time to write quality stuff."

You haven't given it enough time, that's what you're not doing. There are millions of sites on the internet - Google will take its own sweet time to notice yours.  Even when it does notice them, it will take time for your Hubs to rise in the ranking enough for people to click on them.

I had hardly any traffic and less than $1 in earnings in my first three months.  This month my Adsense payout will be over $250. 

If you want traffic from other Hubbers, participate in the forums and get to know people - but trust me, traffic from within HubPages is a drop in the bucket compared to what your external traffic will ultimately be. 

However, I'd take issue with your contention that you're writing "quality stuff".  Hubs are not blog posts - highly successful Hubbers like Nelle Hoxie say a Hub needs to be over 800 words to get good rankings.  I wrote a Hub on HubPages Tips which might also help you.

10. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

I've only been here a month but I've written over 40 hubs and try to make sure my title is good. I try to think like someone on the search engines looking for information. After four weeks I've only made about $4 and change but I know it will only get better if I'm patient and keep writing.

11. Hokey profile image62
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

8 days isn't long enough for anything. I write just for pleasure and to try to help others and my stuff gets nailed. I have not been on here long either. It probably really depends what you write about. I have back links but most of my traffic is internal. Probably 70%.

12. Drwibble profile image58
    Drwibbleposted 14 years ago

I find I get an initial traffic surge from hubpages then after a few weeks settling down, the hubs tend hover around page 30-40 in google for my key terms. This then determines the amount of back linking I need to do to try and push them to the first page of google. After that there is a steady flow of traffic to my hubs. For Backlinking, I try and use revenue sharing backlinking websites where possible to earn a few pennies at the same time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)