jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

Does bolding key words help search engine rankings?

1. Dorsi profile image92
    Dorsiposted 7 years ago

I remember someone saying awhile back that bolding your key words in your hubs helps your traffic. I've done this with alot of my hubs but have no way of knowing if this really helps or not...
    Does anyone know if this is true?

The only thing I don't like about bolding too much is it takes away from the hub (IMHO) Makes it kind of look too commercial sometimes....

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I read a hub a while back by Paul Edmonson that suggested you bold a couple of keywords. I write for Suite 101 and they insist that you bold three keywords in each article. I would think more than 3 would be overkill.

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

advice I've read is always write for your reader. you want to bold type key phrases and topic headings to help your reader grab the important topics, and if these are used in your heading and context, it should help with the search engines.

too much bold type is hard to read.

I'm sure one of our SEO gurus can share more.

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing as overkill.

If a person were to bold their keywords throughout their hub it would be as silly as stuffing the same keyword phrase three times into the opening sentence.

1. World Marketing profile image49
      World Marketingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i agree

4. livewithrichard profile image82
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

Using the bold and the H1 and H2 tags help in SEO by letting the spiders know that those terms are probably important to the content. If those terms happen to be the keywords you are trying to target then they're given more relevance unless you overdue it, then it looks like stuffing.

Of course, this is only a fraction of what is necessary to optimize a page of content.

1. Dorsi profile image92
      Dorsiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What are H1 and H2 tags?

1. skyfire profile image71
        skyfireposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Here you go check this link:

w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_hn.asp

5. thisisoli profile image56
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

Bold text can help if you use it in moderation.

6. Mike Rogers profile image57
    Mike Rogersposted 7 years ago

Bold and italic are your friends, but like salt and pepper, use sparingly for maximum benefit wink

Mike

7. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

There is no strict rule on how many bold/italics you can use but self-moderation is better.

8. CodyPhrenism profile image70
    CodyPhrenismposted 7 years ago

It is a factor, it's not too huge however. I wouldn't stress it too much.

9. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image73
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago

I had experimented on it. Many times it helps ranking higher in Google SERP.

I have tried it even with stuffing and got good results in SERP. we can not know the complete algorithm of a search engine but most of the times making bold and italic help.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

10. CarpetDiem profile image75
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

If it is a factor, I would guess it is very, very minor, and if you overdo it, it may even hurt you.
    I would use bolding for people. If it makes sense for your human readers, it's a good idea. If it doesn't, it's a bad idea.
    As to me, <b>sometimes I do</b>, sometimes I don't. big_smile

1. CarpetDiem profile image75
      CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oops, make that last line...
      ...sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. big_smile

11. 20gsxr05 profile image61
    20gsxr05posted 7 years ago

on some of the keywords i find that underline bold and italic helps alot.Think of it as advertisement when people scim your page that jumps out at them it does the same for the robots.i wouldn't advise stuffing

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image73
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you for many reasons. However, large number of people do not advise stuffing.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

12. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 7 years ago

I sneak in a bold and/or italicized keyword by putting in a "copyright" tag on each article. I simply repeat the title, and say "copyright 2010"
    It doesn't come across looking spammy IMO. It's a subtle disguise.
    smile

1. thisisoli profile image56
      thisisoliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Heh, that's quite clever actually tongue

working