Hub too cluttered?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image68
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Hi.  If anyone has a moment, I could use a little constructive criticism on my latest hub.  Its the first technology oriented hub I've written, and also the first time I've used YouTube videos as supporting material.  I'd love some feedback on any of it, but the overall layout in particular.  I'm worried I may have tried to jam too much into one hub.  (Either too much info, or too many videos.)

Thanks in advance!

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

hello. the only thing i would do, if it were me, would be to take away one or two of the videos that are stacked up on each other, only because it's a lot to watch and seems to distract me from the Amazon ads. maybe that is just me though. it's a very interesting hub! smile

3. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I agree. It's got a lot of useful information, but too many videos. You could replace them with some relevant pictures instead. Otherwise, everything is nicely done... smile

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't have the patience to watch the videos so I never do and just scroll past them.  I find too many pics annoying also.  I don't need to see all that.  I read the hubs and disregard anything else which is a distraction. But that's just me and I'm often really out of the loop when it comes to what is popular.

ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I'm usually the same, but I feel like I needed to support the new technology with some examples in this one.  One of those situations where a technical discussion of the developments is great, but it helps to put it in a practical context. 

I do plan on cutting it down a bit though, just haven't had time.  Too much going on the next few weeks... luckily this is a hub that shouldn't get dated too quickly, so I have some time to learn and improve.

4. ThoughtfulSpot profile image68

Thanks guys.  That's what I was actually thinking.  Like I said, its the first time I've used Youtube, and I think I got a little carried away.  But, then I wasn't sure because I do like the visual demonstration of the new technology... 

Ok, guess I have some editing to do. smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure I agree with everyone else. 

I think you just need to do some reorganizing. 

First, cut the last bit off your first paragraph so it's just long enough to trigger the top right-hand ad (which is the optimum place for Adsense). 

Then add a new text capsule to paste in the rest of para 1, with the video floated to the right of it.

Now, look at rearranging your subsequent videos so that when you advertise a "toy" on Amazon, you have a video of that product right next to it. You can do that by leaving the Amazon capsules full width and the videos floated right.  The video will sell the product for you if it's right next to it, but you'll lose the effect if they're separated.

Thanks so much for addressing the formatting so specifically.  I'm trying to learn, but I don't have much time, so its slow going.  I've looked at your hubs before, along with several others to try to get a better handle on layout. I appreciate your taking the time to check out my hub.

Just a few hubs in, I changed my basic layout and stopped doing the upper right hand photo to allow for the ad space, but I wasn't aware that there was an optimum length for that first paragraph.

How long does the first text capsule have to be to provide enough room for the top right-hand ad?

Thanks!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to confess I just play around with it, and check the Preview screen until it pops up!

If the videos aren't relevant to the products, then maybe I agree with the others that you should cut some of them out. 

Instead, add some descriptions to your Amazon products - apparently things sell better if people feel you're personally recommending them.

That's interesting.  I have a hub that is almost all descriptions.  It was something I was playing around with.  I did a fashion hub with trends described in the article, followed by a "look for less" where I picked several items from Amazon and, in their description, explained how they matched the Runway trends.  Didn't get any sales off of that either.  I may just not be generating the volume I need yet to really see any sales. 

Geez - I think I just confused my own 2 threads.  I have another post right now about tips to "convert clicks to sales."  Sorry.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How old is the Hub?  You've only been here 5 months - I found it took several months for any of my Hubs to start showing real income, so it may be that it's just too soon.

That Hub is from February.  Unfortunately, its dated.  Its specific to 2010 trends, so with Fashion week being over for Spring, I'm already "old news."  If I'm going to do any more trend articles, I'm going to have to get the hang of keywords and tagging and hit it while its hot.

But, that is sort of what I meant by "just not generating the volume yet."  I realize I don't dedicate the time to this that others do, I'm only 5 months in, AND, I only have 20 hubs.  (And, the first few were just me getting my writing feet wet again after a very long hiatus.)  Its a hobby for me, not a career, and I know that will make a huge difference.  I had just hoped to see 1 or 2 sales from a hub that was so Amazon driven.  But, I've a TON to learn.... that's why I'm here asking questions, reading and trying to pay attention.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image68

Marisa - Also, I would love to have a "toy" related to each video.  That was my plan.  Unfortunately, I discovered that the technology is so new that not a lot is being offered commercially yet, and even less on Amazon.  So, that might have to be a later development as the product listings catch up to the technology.  On the upside, I'm hoping that this hub will be one that lasts me awhile so I should have time to make these changes down the road.

7. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

Ya know, I just had a thought..

I agree with others, the videos all lined up are a bit much.  I think there's a way around that though.  On the right side, where you have your videos, create a table of contents that links to your videos on the page.  Place your videos -full size - under the comments section, with a link to return to the top where the videos were.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.  I've seen something similar done before and it looked real sharp.

I think that it would be more important for your selling items (adsense, amazon) to be more visible than the videos, but the videos are an important part of the hub as well..

Still, very well written hub.. I wish you the best with it!

Urbane - That's a great suggestion.  I've not used a lot of features that HP has to offer.  I think this hub might just be a great opportunity for me to play around with a good number of them.

Thanks for the compliment too... glad you enjoyed it.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It took me awhile to find it, but here's a hub explaining exactly what I meant.  Darkside wrote it, and it's just a beautiful idea.. Many thanks to this chap. 

The title of it is simply "Table of Contents" by Darkside - in case if the link gets snipped.

Here's the link to his hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/tableofcontents

I'll check it out, thanks. Darkside's hubs have been a lifesaver for a newbie like me.  He's one of the hubbers that has just been immensely helpful.

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image68

Finally got a chance to look at this, and WOW! what a great tutorial.  I don't know if I'll use it for this hub or not, but I love the idea.

And, of course, this hub led me to other Darkside hubs, and now I can't stop bookmarking....

Someone HELP ME!

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)