Video and Music copyright questions

1. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I haven't even tried to use videos in my Hubs so far.  So this morning I spent some time trying to research them and see what I can learn for the future. 

I read in the HubPages Help section the types of videos that are supported here, and then I went over to Metacafe to check out that site. As I was reading their Usage Rules (in Metacafe), I saw that use of that website is intended only for personal, non-commercial use.  I stopped reading right there.  Maybe it would make more sense if I had kept reading - but how would we be allowed to use their videos, if they are for non-commercial use only?  Would Hubbers that use them only put them on non-Adsense Hubs?

Also, how do people check out the copyright legality of the videos they use?

What about music? Are there any websites where I could find legal (public domain) music - for example, if I wanted to try to make my own video?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aficionada, I read that part of the Metacafe rules.  What it's saying is that users are allowed to copy or reproduce the clips on Metacafe for personal use only.  Here on HP we don't copy or reproduce the clips - all we do is embed the video on our HubPage.  There is always a link back to the original on Metacafe - yes, a backlink, which the owner of the video should appreciate.   We're publicising their work rather than copying it.

I don't check out the copyright legality of the videos - I believe there has been a recent court case which showed that we're entitled to rely on the original poster of the video to do that. 

Music - you would have to use non-copyright (cover) music and you'd probably have to pay someone for the privilege.