Replying to comments

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

When I post a comment to someone's hub including a question and they approve it, but do not answer the question, does that mean they have no manners? In your opinion.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, if that's the case, then I've earned my last name for sure (it's pronounced "rude," if that wasn't clear).  If you've got a lot of hubs, especially hubs on controversial subjects, it is really hard to keep up with approving all the comments, let alone responding to them.  Only a few days ago I had to approve more than 1000 comments!  By the time I was done, my head was a gelatinous mess and there was no way I would have been able to form a cohesive response to any questions that might have been posed.

If you have a question that needs an explanation longer than a sentence or two, on a popular hub, I think your best bet is to ask a question of the author using the Question box in the right-hand column.  He or she can then write a hub about it.  But even if the hub isn't particularly possible, or your question seems simple, don't take it personally if you don't get a response.  You never know what is going on with the user's other hubs, or in his/her personal life.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you write some really profitable hubs and post them  on my account.  That way, you can get the information out on those controversial subjects, which is the important thing really, to get the information out there, and I, in the name of friendship, will be happy to monitor the comments.

2. worldgrandeur profile image58
    worldgrandeurposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, people don't have to answer or reply to every little comment or it will be really tiring task. They will approve it which means, they agree so it's totally fine not to answer.

3. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, it would be nice if the question were answered.
    But you know there are a very few Hubbers who would never reply to a comment, because it offers them no advantages, least of all earning them money. Something to do with 'HubPages Etiquette' ...

4. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Haunty, it is best not to ask questions within your comments. There is a 50/50 chance that they will not answer the question.

@Camlo, actually it is very advantageous for the hub writer to answer the question, because it adds more to the comment section, which in turn adds more to the hub's contents.

Carrying on conversations in the hub comments section isn't always advisable, but it doesn't hurt the hub and does add freshness to the hub, each time you respond.

Just a thought.

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course. There's absolutely no sensible reason not to reply, and/or to answer questions.

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think if you ask a question, it would be polite for the hubber to answer. But keep in mind, some hubbers are not active daily on the site. Maybe they don't have the proper time to answer when it is approved. I know there are times I don't have time but I'll approve it from the email alert. I do try to answer any questions but don't always respond promptly.

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must admit, I often read comments early in the morning, but am totally incapable of writing at that time of day. So I first approve and reply in the evening after work.

2. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I happen to agree.  There are weeks I'm on Hubpages daily but then there are weeks I don't sign in.  Life doesn't always allow us to do all of the stuff we want to do.  When I find the time to write I'll write for days when I know I can walk away from life at least five hours per day but then there are weeks I just don't have that kind of time.
      Don't take it personally.

6. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

I'm new here at HubPages and I like to encourage my readers to comment again after their first comment. In most cases I will reply to the comment, thanking them for showing an interest and also giving my view on what they have said. I am yet to receive a question so we shall see smile

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually it would be polite and profitable for the hubber to answer the question, actually it would make the hub very interactive and dynamic. It may also answer the doubts of others reading the hub.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

This is a double-edged sword, here.  In the first case, as Maddie said, if you are a prolific writer with comments in the thousands, it becomes an impossible task to even keep up with approving comments, let alone replying.

On the other side of the coin, though, if you are relatively new, or don't get comments in those kinds of quantities, I would think it a matter of plain courtesy to at least offer a brief answer...OR...write a new hub, and let the questioner know about it via a link in your reply. 

(I'm guessing that a link to one of your own hubs in your own comments section should not count as 'using comments for promoting your hubs.)

I always try to at least offer a brief 'thanks for stopping by--glad you enjoyed the article' type of reply to each commenter.  It builds rapport with fellow hubbers, increases your followers, and is probably advantageous in ways I have yet to discover.

wink

8. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Thank you, everybody. It is understandable that some authors, being overwhelmed by comments, don't have capacity for answering all of them.

Sometimes it's difficult for me to reply to comments on my early hubs, because I either don't remember the content or have since changed my stance on the subject.

I know, I know - write informative, magazine-style articles.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I have a couple of "dealing-with-grief" type of Hubs, and people tend to write long comments and often ask questions.  Those I take very seriously because of the nature of the readers' situations; but on the other hand, I kind of said what I know in the Hub, and don't always know how to answer some of their questions.  That means it can be draining to sit and try to think up the right kind of answer for someone dealing with grief.  There's no way I wouldn't answer, and I feel humbled that they ask.  Still, some of those Hubs are - like - two years old (I think), and I'm getting death questions in my e.mail more often than my own not-all-that-great mood prefers.  So, I'm thinking of shutting off the comment boxes on those Hubs.

"As we speak", though, I have a question sitting and waiting to be answered.  It's from a math Hub I did that was supposed to be nothing more than quick math tricks.  I added links for anyone looking for "real" math help.  That's another old Hub, and it gets me traffic (so I'm appreciative of commenters).  Still, it's getting so now people just come on and act as if I'm a calculator!  ("What's 50% of 5909340?"  lol  )  The question that's waiting isn't that, but I have links to the answer to that particular question.  I feel bad that I just can't deal with explaining yet one more time what is better explained at those links I provide.  I also feel bad that I haven't been quicker to answer the person's question.  It's just that I'm really not able to deal with yet one more of those right now, and the person really could just click on the links.   (Maybe I'll add a text box to that one and mention that I don't want to be asked certain types of questions.  hmm )

10. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

I agree with everything that has been said here. Different people joined HubPages for different reasons and have different amounts of time to spend on the site. Writers who've been here awhile and get dozens and dozens of comments on almost every hub they write because they have hundreds of 'followers,' may find it hard to keep up with approving all the comments, much less responding to them.

However, having said that, I would point to two hubbers, Paraglider and Shadesbreath, who have been with HubPages three and two years respectively, and have over eight hundred and over one thousand followers respectively -- as examples of true gentlemen on HubPages, in many ways, but especially with respect to answering comments.

I follow those two hubbers, I read their stuff. They get dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of comments on everything they write, and deservedly so! Now, as far as I can tell, those two make it their personal policy to answer each and one of the comments on those hubs.

They are busy men. They have careers, school (in the case of Shadesbreath I believe), children, families, friends, relatives, and the like; and yet, having signed up with HubPages, they take the trouble to answer each and every comment they get (as far as I can tell); they even answer the innocuous comments like "Nice hub," or "Very interesting or informative," or "Good job," that many hubbers say is alright to simply ignore. They may not be able to answer each immediately but they do eventually address every single comment.

Having said that let me say that there are different ways a hubber might 'answer' your comments. I have had it happen to me: that I made a comment on a hub, and then revisited it to see how the hubber responded, only to find that they have not done so over a period of many days and weeks.

Now, these are hubs that have already drawn dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of comments and responses already. They were written quite a while ago, and maybe the hubber is tired of them already or forgot what they wrote or have changed their position.

So, they never responded on the hub, but they did 'answer' my comments by joining my fan club. Apparently they saw some 'value-added' in my commentary. This happened for me on at least two occasions that I remember (where the hubbers did not answer on the hub but became 'followers' of mine); and this happened for me an additional three times I can think of now (in those occasions the hubbers did respond on their hubs and then immediately joined my 'fan club').

So just be sure to leave good, positive, constructive, value-added comments on hubs and you may find that they are 'answered' in a variety of ways.

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I always try to respond to comments, sometimes I am just too busy though, remember for some people this kind of stuff is a full time job! (And a few hours on top too, My working week is 6-7 days a week with 12 - 14 hour days!

12. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I think answering questions in a few of my hubs are almost mandatory! 
    These are how-to repair articles and the questions add so very much to the knowledge gained by others reading them.  I consider these comments and questions as being part of the hubs themselves.

Readers can go down the list of questions and comments and find the answers to similar problems they encounter.  Many have thanked me for helping solve their problems, so this makes me happy too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)