Need Advice on my writing

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Ruchira profile image74
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I am a budding writer but need some good pointers and tips from my hub friends so that I can improve my writing skills.

Any feedback in that context would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,
    Ruchira

1. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow you have more hubs than me.
      Any advice for writing so fast?

Ruchiraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Blondepoet,
        Not much advice on how I wrote so fast but, as I kept getting ideas/inspiration on topics related to LIFE....kept penning them down.

Thanks for taking the time to write....Appreciate it!

Cheers!

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read, read, read, and read some more.  Reply, reply, reply, and reply some more.  Comment on hubs, comment on hubs, comment on hubs, comment on hubs some more.  Be active in the forums, be active in the forums, be active in the forums, be active in the forums some more.

The more you read and write the better you'll get.  Try anything and everything that strikes your fancy - and have fun with it.  smile

Thank you Rafini....Appreciate your tips.

Cheers!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is very clear to me as a former ESOL teacher that English is, in fact, your second language, which is why your wordage seems so stilted at times.  You also have occasional usage errors.  Actually, for the most part, your English is pretty good, but the suggestion that you take a good writing and/or grammar course is a good one and one you should consider if you want your words to flow.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I read one of your hubs.  It seemed kind of impersonal, like you copied information from several sources.  Is English your second language?

Thanks Fightkeeper for your response. However, none of my hubs have been copied they are merely coming from within me. I can guarantee that!!

It is creative writing and my topics relate to our everyday life so I don't understand your "impersonal" remark. Please be explicit.

No, English is not my second language but this is the way I chose to write smile

Cheers!!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't mean to come off as a smart ass, but your sentences are sometimes a combination of run-on sentences and don't read smoothly.  The style is formal but some idiomatic phrases come up  here and there which is jarring.  I suggest that you don't put so many ideas in one sentence. Each idea is worth its own sentence and link the sentences so that it conveys your complete thought.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For example, this came from your "When Money Makes You Sick Hub", "We are all running after the same thing in life and while running, we are also losing track of our values, our love, and our family"

- we lose track of our values but we don't lose track of our love, and our family. We lose track of time with our loved ones and family members.  I think that's what you're trying to say.  Anyway I just wanted to bring up a specific sentence which I thought was jarring.

Ruchiraposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the time to read and bring out my mistake...appreciate it.

3. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

First of all you have 48 hubs.  I am not going to read all of those.   You need to select one, we all can read it and then discuss it.   

Responding this way is too convoluted.   I hear someone say it was impersonal, what did she read.   I have no idea.

Post a hub here and let us read it and discuss it.

I did read two of your hubs:  'Need a makeover?' and 'Which day of the week looks good to you?'

The first one seems to be a commercial hub with links all over the place.  The links seem to be the strangest things.  Like 'Being in trendy clothes makes an impression to a certain extent but not for long though, unless the person is going to be a mannequin for the entire meeting.'  Is linked to a bizarre little hub about manequins.  What the heck?

Then the is a link to inspirational speakers, and then to further confuse the reader, makeovers are linked to a hub on free personal budget worksheets.  This is peculiar.   None of this goes together.

Just a question about photos.   
    Are the photos of Susan Boyle yours?   

Your rendition of makeovers starts with a whole introductory paragraph stressing the importance of how you look.   This paragraph sets the stage, tells the reader what it is about.   And then, suddenly there is a couple of other kinds of make-overs.   It seems disjointed and doesn't make sense.  The other 'makeovers' seem like an afterthought. 

One of your links is double, like the link is in link form, then it is in sentence form.  But the link and sentence are the same thing and they appear this way:

Amazon.com: Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You (9780310256533): Ka
    Amazon.com: Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You (9780310256533): Katie Brazelton, Shelley Leith: Books

Then the apps section has a huge blank space between hub title and the link.   What is that for?

The article is 90% Physical makeover, and 10% other stuff and should be 100% physical makeover.   The other stuff could be in other hubs, one on financial, one on character, etc.   

Your Amazon ads surprisingly are all focused on the afterthought makeovers.  They should be all about the physical make over:  hair, clothes, nails, make-up, and things that make you feel good.

The second hub on 'Which day of the week looks good to you?' seems short and silly.   Like, "racking our brains off with all sleazy tactics to get work done. "  Huh?   How does that make sense?  Not humorous either.  And then it is linked to a Christian Worship and  Devotions hub, now that is a little humorous.

I did like your metaphor for freezing time.   

Your ads are more appropriate here, with all of them relating somehow to the days of the week.

Thank you SteveoMc for your precious feedback. I truely appreciate the time you spent on it.

Sure, I did not mean for you all to look into all the 48 hubs but, look into one or two to give me the feel of my writing.

Regarding the picture of Susan Boyle...I took it from the web.

Regarding the links to my hubs, I did it abruptly and did not realize the intensity of it unless you mentioned it. Thanks!

Will look into these 2 hubs and make the necessary changes....once again, thank you for making me aware.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is not the correct forum for posting hubs from people who wish others to review them.

4. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I read a couple of them, the earth one and the travel one.  I think you're on the right track.  I would suggest to do as Rafini says and make sure you read and read and read.  In fact, I would suggest you read outside of hubpages, find some novels and short stories written in and around the nineteenth century to help you work on your pacing (Edith Wharton, Henry James...etc.).  I say this because you aren't afraid of a complex sentence, but you don't quite have the structures worked out yet, so that's giving you trouble. 

Also, I recommend getting some grammar books or even taking a class.  I don't mean this as an insult either.  I wrote just fine by the time I decided to take a college grammar class, and I can assure you, that was one of the best and most useful, if not THE most useful class I ever took in my life.  There are some grammatical issues that are impacting your stuff that you could easily fix, and that also goes to the point I made above.

Beyond that, I think your "voice" is engaging enough, but I will agree with Flightkeeper in that you might consider opening up a little too.  Don't write so fast, slow down and write as if you were whispering your story to someone in a pub or sitting by a lake.

Just my two to seven cents. smile

Thank you Shadesbreath for your dollar worth suggestions smile Appreciated every bit of it.

Yes, I agree that I have trouble sometimes placing my complex sentences and that could mess up the message that I am getting across. I agree on the Grammar books as well since there is no harm in polishing my commas and semicolons usage. Thanks!

My concern for slowing down is that I might lose my audience who usually like to browse through hubs and get the message across ASAP....but, I might give it a shot smile

Cheers!!

5. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Read more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)