jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

What's the best Christmas gift you ever received as a kid?

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Mine was my first pony!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...sad to say now....but it was Barbie!.....ahhhhh!...but it was all good!  i turned out just fine!

a pony? lucky you!

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I has an electric racetrack for racing multiple cars. wink

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I had a lot that were really special, but I guess, maybe, my Baby Dear doll was a big one.  Later, Barbie's Dream House, the Barbie with the bending knees and three wigs, Barbie's sports car, Barbie's Fashion Shop (anyone sensing a pattern here?)   lol  I got a lot of enjoyment out of my brother's VacuForm and Creepy Crawlers machines too.  His Robot The Commando was real good too. 

Maybe, though, there was one that was most meaningful.  I always got a baby doll (when I was young enough), and there'd be a bunch of other stuff.  My mother had been hospitalized with a lung illness for seven months.  She came home in November.  My father had been paying my aunt (who quit her job) to take care of us each day, so there was very little money for Christmas that year.  When I saw my baby doll, I noticed there was a flannel top for "her", and that it was obviously sewn by hand.  I immediately "knew" that Santa wouldn't have left something so obviously hand-sewn, and I knew that my mother must have made the top for the doll in order to make sure the doll had a change of clothes other than what she came in.

I was seven and imagined my rail-thin, tired, mother making the pink top with a ribbon at the neck and naively believing I'd believe it was left by Santa.  I was moved in a way she wouldn't have thought her seven-year-old daughter would be old enough to be; and I vowed to take particularly good care of that little pink top with a ribbon at the neck.  Decades later, it is that doll shirt that stands out most in memory.   smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

...that's a  nice memory Lisa!...you had/have a nice mom!...thanks for sharing that....

hey...i dropped by to say hi to Gladys on the Male Dominance thread....you didn't notice....where are my pearls?...i can't find them.....

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Glad you did, and I saw your post and replied.   smile    Yes - my mother (and father) were both very special people.   smile   (Gee - I don't know what went wrong when they raised me   lol     lol  )

2. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is wonderful! You should make it into a hub.

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

When my cabbage patch kid was stolen by the neighbor kid, my grandma didn't want to pay for another. So the next christmas I got a hand sewn version. Way better then the store ones! I still have that doll big_smile

(no plastic head, much softer for sleeping with, delicate embroidery for the face, my gran was amazing!)

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

What is is with us girls and our dolls?
    My most vivid Christmas present memory was getting a Chatty Baby doll -- where you pull the string and she makes baby noises.
    The "baby" version of "Chatty Cathy."

7. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

A huge box of lego. I was about 5 and the box just seemed so massive. My mum still has the lego, in fact my little one was playing with it just the other day smile

8. 0
    Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago

The best Xmas gift that I ever received was a real wind up Timex brand watch when I was seven.

This year will mark the 31st anniversary of that gift. The watch still runs, and is on only the third band.

They really do not make things like that any more!

A little early, but Merry Xmas to those who celebrate it, and Happy Holidays to those who observe other Holy Days.

9. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Laid by a Hot Cousin! yikes