Genuine Query (No really) - Hub Ageing or Aging

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I have noticed hubbers with experience talk about letting articles age - and they will start to gain visitors.  I don't understand this.  Check out key words, write it and 24 hours later it's on Google.

So how does this ageing or aging process work? Please.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Basically, the older an article or page gets, the more impressed google is with it.

That's why, when you google something like a technical question, you'll often end up on a forum with a reply written in 2006.

I think an image would be more likely to explain this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245/calala_red/40ways-1.jpg

It's one of my first hubs before I knew anything about backlinking or keywords or optimisation. LoL. I got lucky.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, 72 hours later you may find that it is impossible to find on Google.. you get a little boost for newness, but that can go away quickly.

If a page is good, over time it will attract organic links ( links created by other people).  The more time that passes, the more chance to attract those links, which will bring more visitors by themselves but will also cause Google to think more highly of the page, which puts you higher in SERP (Search Engine Results Position), which may cause more people to see it, which may cause more organic links..

Among my top 25 earners are pages as old as 2001; they have organic links all over them like buds on a spider plant.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Thanks guys.  So a brief flutter with page one and then oblivion it is then.  I don't think I can do the linking thing.

1. Pcunix profile image90

You don't think people will link to you??

You are wrong.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix is right, Mark - the links he mentions are not ones you place, but links that others place - organic links.  If someone likes your hub they may place a link to it on their facebook, specialty forum or anywhere else.  This way you gain links with no effort on your part, and they are generally much more valuable. 

But it does take time.  The percentage of people that will give backlinks is very low - they must find and read your hub, like it, have a place to post the link and probably need a reason to post it (maybe someone else asks a question and the link they post is the answer).  All these things must come together in one reader to get the link, so it's rare.

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to both of you.  I was thinking of those adverts that offer 1,000 links for $9.99, not read them, but Adsense plasters them all over my website.

The organic linking sounds like a wonderful thing - but I'm not sure that my Three Best Ways to Buy a Rectal Thermometer will ever achieve that.

Actually, humor has excellent potential for going viral.

Thanks friend. I must stop wasting my best stuff in the forums.  In fact I must stop hanging out in the forums.  I got a 100 forum posts 'award' today (what is it with you Americans?) , which tells me I have been rather too 'busy'.

But without the forums, i might never have noticed you..

Well yes, of course there is the publicity angle. But I am a forum junkie, I love the general messing about side of them - and then I look back on a few hours of forum stuff and think I could have written an article in that time.

Sure.  I often take a thought that I began here and expand it to a hub. Why not?

2. Denise Handlon profile image85
                  Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you're not alone.  If you checkout Sandpit you'll see a basic half dozen of us usuals there.  Why?  Mindless stuff.  I love the forums b/c I'm social that way and like some of the game challenges and the conversation threads.  However, I too had to reign it in awhile ago...all forum no hubs.  sad    But, now I've found a balance.  You will too.   smile

2. Stories Inc. profile image64
        Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

is there a way to see those backlinks or know exactly when you're being linked to?

Google Analytics, Google Webmaster tools, and many other tools - none of which will reliably show everything, but you can get a pretty good sample of the important ones anyway.

2. Susana S profile image94
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For your hubs try yahoo site explorer. Just type in the hub url and click "inlinks", then select "except from this site". Links can take a good while to show up though, if they show up at all.

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I trust site explorer.  For instance, I have one hub that I KNOW has been linked to several times (I visited some of the sites) but SE doesn't show anything but HP links.

I also have a recent hub (3 weeks old) that shows 832 inbound HP links, which I find incredible.  How could that be possible?  I may provide 100 of them through rss feeds and other interlinking, but 832???

1. Susana S profile image94
              Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Site explorer is not perfect, but I haven't found any other tool that is better (open to suggestions if anyone knows of one!)

Regarding the large amount of internal links - that's pretty normal and is one of the reasons hubs do so well in google. (The way hubpages has set up the site's internal link structure is pretty genius!) If you look through these internal links you'll see a lot of them come from related hubs and the tag pages. smile

3. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

You've had some great advice from the man with the colourful hair - indeed I wish I had paid more attention to him about 150 hubs ago.

However, it seems to me that everyone has missed the cruz of your question - it is 'ageing' or 'aging'?

Well since I can't spell for toffees, I'd say it is 'maturing'.

Having read a lot of British humor and other literature at an early age, I'll spell certain words eIther way - which can confuse people into thinking I am a British idiot rather than the American idiot I actually am.  I am sure the Brits are relieved to learn that - guilt by association is eliminated.

Nobody should pay any attention to me. All the real experts here have certainly warned you of that, have they not? 

Anyway, Mark, I am sure you will do well. You have a brain and will use it when necessary.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

echo what everyone else says- i am just starting to get much increased traffic from a hub written in april, so it really is wait for it all to mature- sometimes they take off for no reason- I had one go loopy this week and then I traced it back and found that a school in italy must have set it to be read for homework- but now the homework has been handed in its all back to normal!

1. Stories Inc. profile image64
      Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

For homework? How did you do that? Good job.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82

I can at least answer the ageing or aging question.  It's that American v. English er english thing again.  So as I type it, it is correct but as soon as you read it you think this fool can't spell.
    And I second anything and everything you say about PCUnix - what a nice, helpful, funny, interesting guy.  With a great hat too.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hey Pcunix - I saw all the fireworks in the forum a few weeks ago/ There's not much point having a brain in my head if I am going to just copy one side of an argument rather than listen to both sides then make up my own mind. I appreciate that you bring a different view point to the forums and am glad you share your opions so freely with us.

And now I know you like British humour, I like you even more smile

Having a brain is fine. It is using it that invariably causes trouble.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)