Are blogs worth it?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (47 posts)
  1. LittleFairy profile image60
    LittleFairyposted 12 years ago

How many of you have blogs and are they affected by google's new algorithm? Is it worth it having a blog and how do you make time for it along with hubpages?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google's new algorithm pushed their own blog up so that it is receiving more traffic than it used to. That said, I seldom read blogs.

LittleFairyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, so basically blogs are no longer getting as much traffic as they used to.

1. profile image0

No... Google blogs are getting more traffic!

Oh, okay!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a reference to support that?

Pre-Panda there was this myth that if you wrote on Blogger, you'd get more traffic than blogging elsewhere because it's owned by Google.  It is just a myth.

I can't see why Panda would have changed that.  It appears that blogs and websites in general are doing better than article-writing sites, but it really doesn't matter whether you're using Blogger, Wordpress.com or self-hosting.

1. profile image0

Yes, I have a reference to support that. If you want to go through all my posts, I give a link to the sites that gained and the sites that lost as a \result of Panda. However, I don't have time to go and find it. It was a post that I started and it was about the topic...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I've seen several reports like that, about the sites that gained and lost.

I didn't see anything to suggest that .blogspot blogs had gained any advantage?

1. profile image0

Okay, I cannot account for what you saw and what you didn't see. The fact that you didn't see it doesn't mean that a report wasn't written. And, if by implication, you mean that because you didn't see it, it doesn't exist (otherwise I don't see the point of your comment), well, you need to think that through. The topic came up about a month ago. I'm honestly not going to search my forum posts to prove something to you. If you don't think that's true, I don't care. Somebody asked. I answered them. What they do with the information is up to them. Personally, I will be opening a blospot because according to the figures, they had a twenty six percent gain.

I've just been searching and googling and can't find any mention of this anywhere.  If you happen to stumble across it again, please post a link here as I'd be interested to know more.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I have several blogs. 

If you have an old-style blog, like an online diary, or a site where you write posts about anything and everything, it's highly unlikely you'll get any readers.

If there's something you're passionate about and you're able to write really good content about that subject, you might do well.

Thanks, I now understand the whole picture. For now, I am good at various topics not one particular subject so it might be hard to attract traffic. I think I should stick around hubpages and just write here.

HubPages is a good place to try out ideas.  You can get a feel for what you like to write about - and when one of your Hubs suddenly starts getting a lot of traffic or making good income, you'll know you've hit on a good subject for your blog.

Thanks Marissa, I will definately try that smile

3. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Blogs are good for small updates that does't belong in a hub.  You can fold in the updates later into the hub, but for small updates I put them in blog firs,t and put the RSS feed in the hub and point the readers at it. Then the blog will point back to more hubs.

1. wheelinallover profile image75
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have used my blog to send anyone who reads to another hubbers hub. I thought with panda it was a really cool idea to help get readership up.
        My blogs do not earn money other than from anyone who goes to my profile and clicks to one of my web pages. I write on only one subject which lead to either (Hub pages) or any of the other sites the corporation owns.
        My blogs take longer to write and are longer than most of my hubs. They are advertising so more time is necessary, and they contain more content to cover the subject well.
        I have found that my niche is overcrowded so really need to find a new one which is less saturated.
        Hub pages however is my "blog" about what my life was like before, for the most part.
        To make money anywhere on the internet you need to come off as an expert in your field, showing this expertise is what gains readership. Choice of keywords is way more important than most people think, if they want readership from beyond the other writers here.

2. LittleFairy profile image60

@kschang & wheelinallover,

Thanks guys, your tips are very helpful smile

2. mdlawyer profile image45
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

New algorithm has affected blogs and sites alike.

Yes, i understand that now, thanks smile

3. LittleFairy profile image60
    LittleFairyposted 12 years ago

I made an account at tumblr so I am going to start blogging there from time to time. Lets see what comes out of it smile

4. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

It makes no difference whether it’s a site or a blog, what matters is the subject you are writing about, how many people are interested in it  and how well you promote it.

Yeah, you are right. Now I just have to find a niche that is both interesting for me and some people out there.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, very true. I think some of the top sites are blogs.

OP, probably the best way to learn about them is to 'read/study' the top blogs in different categories. If you google search "top blogs", a nice directory site pops up with a categorized list of blogs.
      One of my favorites is ProBlogger.net. It has a lot of helpful content.

I think the line between a blog and a website is blurring.

None of the "top blogs" are blogs in the original sense of the word, which is an "online diary".  The posts are all short articles on a particular topic.  You could just as easily arrange those on a website! 

The main difference between a website and a blog, I think, is that a website has more static content whereas a blog is constantly having new material added.

5. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 12 years ago

I have several blogs!  I use my blogs for back links.  I blog at blogger because blogger is easy to use.  I blog 2 different ways by category and I blog about my interest.  If my hubs or any of my hub friends match any of my categories or interest I blog it or if I am surfing I find something great I blog it.  Blogging is a great way to find you niche.  I have 3 blogs that are performing quite well.

Thanks! you gave me quite some helpful ideas, I like what you said about blogging by category and interests, I might be able to do that.

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks tamron, this helps me too.

6. Karen Banes profile image70
    Karen Banesposted 12 years ago

My (wordpress) blog is still getting the same amount of traffic BUT it doesn't earn much from adsense. I think the question is too broad. Blogging can be 'worth it' for many hubbers for lots of different reason. Profit, promotion, backlinks, affiliate marketing - my main advice is always pick something you really love to blog about. The hardest part is just producing regular content on the same subject month after month.

Okay! Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful smile

7. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

I make all my income from my wordpress blog software. Meaning some sites are full websites plus a blog.

These days the line between what is a blog and what is a website is very blurry.

Thanks!

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

I've had good response on my blog but you hit it - time, there just isnt enough
    wink

Yeah, time is very scarce for us writers, but hopefully  we can move along slowly smile

1. lyricsingray. profile image57
        lyricsingray.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nice to meet you gal
        xo

big_smile

welcome, glad your here

9. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

"Hyperbole and a Half" is one rare blog.  It is an amazing cartoonish blog with fabulous drawings...I try NEVER to miss it, though Allie, the author doesn't post often.
    She's worth a look-really!! smilesmile

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what a hilarious blog!

2. LittleFairy profile image60

ok! I will definitely have a look, I love these types of blogs

10. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

Allie is sooooooo talented!   And I think I have
    'Simple Dog'here at home...Though I've never seen 'shapes' in clouds and such confusion.  Poor, Poor Dog.wink
    I wish she'd post more often...

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

My blogs (I have about 20) all saw an increase in traffic after Panda.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)