Which Blog should I use?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 14 years ago

Hi All

I have had some great advice about improving my hubs, affiliates and blogs.

I now need a little more please re blogs more specifically which blog platform?

I very quickly set up a blog on blogger, then I got some really good advice on wordpress now I have stumbled upon Orble, I am confused again.

I want a blog that give me links to hubs, will take an amazon astore, have the ability to have pages aswell as posts and will either revenue share or pay all revenue to me and that search engines like.

Any tips hints or recommendations much appreciated as i need to decide which one I am going to use and get on with it. If people know of any other blooging platforms or have a prefernce out of the 3 I have listed please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd stick with Blogger if I were you.  I just wrote a Hub about monetizing Blogger and explained why I recommend using it rather than any other free blogging site.

Search engines don't like or dislike any particular free blogging platform - the idea they "heart" blogger is a myth.

I believe Orble keeps your content if you decide to leave, so that's not a good idea.

Aiden Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa I will check out your Hub.

2. thisisoli profile image76
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually using blogger does give you several SEO benefits. It's nothing major but there are some benefits of using Blogger which you don't get with, for inatance, a self hosted wordpress blog.

These benefits are far from huge, but they do help get you indexed faster and distributed across the google blog search platform.

3. forlan profile image60
        forlanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some blogger can get much traffic from free blog platform. so we can use it too.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

And for all the great advice you are taking... you are trading?? hmm

Not sure I understand?

3. ADDHome profile image60
    ADDHomeposted 14 years ago

Why do you want to use only one blog site? I think a lot of successful people have more than one blog that they use.

ETA:
    Did you see this other forum about a similar question?
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/46575?page=2

Thanks
      Because I am new to all this I am trying to find one platform and get good at using it, don't really want to get sidetracked or enticed by another platform months into my efforts.

Good advice though.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I had 2 blogs with Orble for over a year and I did not make a penny

Hi Uninvited Writer
      If you didn't do it; not much hope for me.

Thanks

5. jGaunt profile image66
    jGauntposted 14 years ago

I would have to agree with Marisa, when it comes to free blogs blogger is the best option.

Great thanks I have made a start on blogger so i guess it makes sense to just learn how to use it properly.
      Thanks again

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 14 years ago

Here's a different side to the set of opinions.  I write 4 blogs, all on Blogger.  I looked at WordPress, and found that it required too much technical/html type of knowledge in order to get the best results.

Since I'm not a 'techie,' I stick with Blogger.

To be honest I think I will too as it seems to be the easiest to use, there is also a lot of useful info right here on hubpages on how to use it.
      Guess I will spend hours playing with blogger now, ah well onwards and upwards.
      Thanks for your response

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I don't agree. 

First, I should make it clear I'm talking about a self-hosted Wordpress blog, not Wordpress.com (which is a free blogging site that doesn't allow advertising).

The hardest thing about a self-hosted Wordpress blog is discovering how to buy a domain name and get your hosting set up - and I agree I found that very challenging.  However, once you've got it set up, the blog itself isn't that different from blogger.

You make it look nice by choosing a theme, you can add widgets (equivalent to gadgets)to the sidebar and you can add things called "plugins" which will automatically do almost anything you'd like to do, from adding Analytics to automatically posting Amazon products.  You can install themes, plugins and images from your dashboard just like Blogger.

A good rule when you're starting out with Wordpress is - if you think you need to use HTML to fix something, Google for a plugin instead - you'll probably find one.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok--thanks for that info--did not know that Word Press was divided into 2 types.  I do know that others I follow in the blogging community have blogs on WordPress, and even from a reader's point of view, I find it less friendly--harder, for example, to find where to look to 'follow' the blog, unlike Blogger's very visible, simple "follow" link at the top left of the page.

Word Press tends to have the follow link buried as an RSS subscription, or some other less-easy-to-find 'gadget' or 'plug-in' as you called it.

As far as self-hosted, I have had a domain name in the past, and I seriously doubt it is one anybody else would pick up, so I'd probably have no trouble renewing it if I wished.  However, <i>having</I> a website/domain costs money for the hosting on whaterver server platform, and money is something in short supply right now--as in none to spare...so that would not be an option in any case for me.

Still and all, it is good and interesting to know that bit of info..thanks for that.

You can set up your Blogger blog so it is under your own domain name, which means you don't have to pay for hosting.  It's very easy to set up.  The good thing about that is, you've got your own unique name so you can change to another blogging platform, or move to your own website, and you won't have to worry about losing any of your readers.

But I don't HAVE a website..and that's the part that costs money...the website hosting!  Been there before--got burned--and then we tried to host our own at home on a separate computer acting only as a website server...and we got hacked by some moron from Russia using our server as a bounce relay for his spam!  Phooey!  We're done with "own websites."

Lizzy, you don't need hosting to have a website.

Go to the "publishing" tab on your blogger blog and choose "switch to custom domain".  You'll see you can buy a domain name right there (you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere, but this way is simplest).

Once it's set up, instead of having a "yourblog.blogspot.com" address, your blog's address will be your own domain name.

It looks more professional, and as I said, if things change and you want to move it to a self-host or to some other blogging site, you can simply move the blog but people will still find you because your domain name won't change.

1. travelespresso profile image68
                travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So...Marisa you are suggesting that you get or buy a domain name from somewhere and then use the wordpress.com platform (hosting) so if you want to leave you already have the web address.
                Have I understood you correctly?

1. sunforged profile image74
                  sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just for the sake of information:

Wordpress is a CMS (not hosting) - a content management system

when people talk about wordpress they are usually speaking of wordpress.org (not .com)

through wordpress.org you can download the CMs and plugins for free and use as you like on just about any host.

The better, or more mainstream hosts , have a simple, " 1 click' install of wordpress available.

Installing your own wordpress sounds complicated but is in fact equally as easy as any other information management system.

Almost all hosts will be happy to help you with the very basic steps of installing and getting wp running - I can do this ismple operation, from buying a new domain and setting up a new wp install in under 5 minutes and I do it almost everyday

dont be afraid to call your hosting provider.

further details about this easy process can be found via marisa's profile she has a wordpress site series, I have a couple on wordpress themes and setting up your install, finding hosts, domain selection. Livewithrichard has a good series on some of teh better plug-ins,

as MW said, if you find yourself messing with html - do yourself a favor and do a quick plug in search - your problem has probably been solved dozens of times by developers

running a wp theme and site is equally as easy as setting up a new hub

Thanks again Sunforged.  It's becoming clear.  This forum discussion has opened up a whole new area of learning for me!

No!  I am suggesting that you buy a domain name and then use the blogger.com platform, so if you want to leave you already have the web address.

There would be no point in using wordpress.com, because they don't allow monetization. 

Using the blogger platform means you don't have to pay for hosting, that's the only advantage.  If you're willing to pay the hosting (which is only a few dollars a month), then it's fairly easy, as Sunforged says, to set up your own domain, using the Wordpress.ORG software.

WOW, that's really interesting!  Thanks so much for the clarification Marisa - you are always so helpful.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Marisa,
                  So if I renew my domain names with my existing registry (Dotster.com), I can use them with Blogger???
                  And that give me a website, where I can in theory list my own products for sale???

Yes, yes and yes.  In the "switch to custom domain" menu, you'll see there's the option to use your own domain name that you've already bought.

I recently wrote a Hub about how to make money using Blogger, you'll find it in my latest Hubs.

1. Dorsi profile image82
                    Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whoops sorry didn't see this reply. Thanks for the great info!! You are always such a great wealth of info Marisa!!

2. Dorsi profile image82
            Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So a website domain that I own can be set up in Blogger?

7. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 14 years ago

Hi, Aiden.

It really doesn't matter what platform you choose because visibility on the search engines has more to do with choosing the right keywords, getting proper backlinks and writing good content. I'm a fan of both Wordpress and Blogger, but I've been primarily using Wordpress.

I will admit that Blogger is very easy to use, and within in the past month, Blogger's added new designer templates that are much better looking than what they had even three months ago. These templates allow you to change column widths, add pages, footers, change fonts, etc.

However...

Because Blogger is Google's property, understand that Google has the right to take down Blogger sites which they think has done spamming, brought in too many backlinks on a brand new blog (like 1000 backlinks in a day), incorrectly used Adsense with other forms of Advertising that are not allowed, used false traffic services that produced thousands upon thousands of traffic within a week to a new site, etc.

For any other blogging platform that meets these violations, Google has sent a warning, penalty or dropped the page ranks. But if you used Blogger and made these violations, Google simply knocked the sites down completely, often with very little explanation. They are very vigilant about people trying to game the search engines.

You don't really have to be afraid as long as you're doing these things right, but at the same time using another blogging platform hosted on your on a web host server with your own domain has its benefits and does give you a bit more control.

So, it's up to you. Use what you feel comfortable with.

If you eventually plan to build a list that offers a free gift, you absolutely must get web hosting. The free gift needs to be stored on a file somewhere that can be easily FTP'd to the reader.

So start off with Blogger until you feel comfortable with blogging and ranking well on the search engines. Then if you're ready to switch over to Wordpress, you can always import your data into the Wordpress Blog.

Interesting.  I don't have any problems with 'warnings' from Blogger, because 99% of the time, I forget to even put ANY tags in the provided spot.  DOH!

Because I write many different types of things, I have 4 blogs, and contribute on a 5th...Blogger seems to have no limit to how many you can have, at least at my level.  They might object to 100+  I don't know.  ;-)

I've spent a lot of time & effort setting things up, and re-designing with the templates, so I"m going to stay put for quite some time to come.

8. mcbean profile image60
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

I agree with Marisa.

If you want a custom domain name Blogger lets you add it for free. This way any beginner can have the benefits of their own domain name with free hosting via the blogger site.
    I pubished a recent hub advocating the use of $1 .info domains for novices to allow them the SEO benefits for 1 year before they have to pay for more.

<snipped link>

Even cheap .info domains cost more for successive years but i find 12 months gives you plenty of time to decide if you are on the right track. Even an average blog will cover this expenditure comfortably in a year.

1. thisisoli profile image76
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

.info domains are bad press in my experience.

1. mcbean profile image60
        mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I admit that I don't use them now and due to their low price are considered spammy. My point is that someone starting out, wanting to try and see if they can make a go of earning online can get up and running for $1. This may appeal to folks from less affluent countries.
        There is much debate about .info affecting SERPs but I have found them to be OK.
        $1 for 1 year is a sensible approach considering the drop out rate among beginners.

I'm with oli on this one.  If you're going to buy a domain for a proper website, get yourself a .com, .net or .org. 

By all means buy .info domains if you're just building micro blogs to create backlinks, but many people believe Google doesn't like them (because they know so many scammers buy them).  Just ask yourself how often you see a .info come up in search results when you're Googling.

9. brettb profile image58
    brettbposted 14 years ago

It seems to be much more difficult to get blogger blogs into Google these days. The SEO crowd seem to be opting for Wordpress.

10. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I have 5 blogger blogs now and after 2 years I am starting to get some followers and more traffic.
    I'm going to add more blogger blogs for my affiliate marketing.
    The new templates are an answer I believe to word press' templates.

Ironically, I get far more traffic on my blog "written by" my cats..than I do on my crafts blog.  LOL

11. lender3212000 profile image60
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

Wordpress is great if you don't mind a bit of a learning curve. Blogger blogs are getting ignored quite a bit by the search engines until you have an established history these days. I guess that's fine if you don't mind blogging to thin air for the first few months until you develop a trusted reputation and some backlinks. Wordpress seems to still get picked up pretty easily.

OK--I have to break down and ask...what are "backlinks"???  I don't know how to do that....especially if I have to ask what it even is.    (red face)...

12. sunforged profile image74
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I believe, Oli, MW and I all have many hubs that hope to explain what a backlink is, and where to go about gaining them.

this hub is supposed to contain all the common def a new writer/marketer would need to know
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Post-Hub-Pages- … ng-Lexicon

So, if I understood your article correctly, I write an article on my blog, and include a link to my Hub Pages piece, and THAT is a 'backlink' ??

Lizzy, that's basically what a backlink is, but where you put the link is another question.

Where would you prefer your readers to go, to your blogs or to your Hubs?

I want most of my readers to go to my websites, so I put my backlinks in my Hubs, not in my blogs.

What I mean by that is: in each Hub I write, I include links to whichever of my blogs or websites is relevant. That's "backlinking" my blogs and websites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)