Can anyone suggest any subtle improvements on the adsense generation?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Brainstormer profile image58
    Brainstormerposted 15 years ago

This is very difficult for me. I have created 3 hubs so far and am learning more and more about writing hubs as each day progresses. One of the more enjoyable and surprising aspects of HubPages is the community here. It is amazingly friendly.

I have been experimenting with writing styles, subject matter and what works and what doesn't. I have been by self admission shameless in my approach but have tried to give the reader something to take away. Sorry this is sounding a bit like an add. My point is that my last hub could do with some work in the area of generating adsense cents. I do not want to plaster it links and RSS feeds and adds but would like to subtly work this hub and subsequent ones more effectively. The titles and subject matter are shameless enough and I need to be careful.  I could use a bit of help.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Wife--The-D … e-Vibrator

I hope this link thing works. If it doesn't do me a favour and do a search.

Thanks in Advance. ./

1. profile image0
      shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I dont think Hubs like this are allowed here..........And your hubs have no Google ads,because Adsense has filtered out the ads for sex toys.

2. patnamohan profile image57
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

helpless yikes

3. Brainstormer profile image58

Thankyou.

As I said it is all a learning exercise for me. I am sorry you felt the Hub inappropriate.
    Very interesting what you said about the google adds. Quite frankly I am delighted Adsense has filtered those type of adds out.
    There is a fine line here and if I can work how I will have a chat to the HubPage moderators.

Thanks for your input.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I thought your hub was great. I don't think it will be classified as adult. I don't have any suggestions for you to improve google ads though smile

4. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

Mail them at team@hubpages.com

5. Brainstormer profile image58

Thank you SunSeven. I have a lot to learn smile

6. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

I liked the hub!  I didn't think it was an unsavoury topic at all.

But then my "Sex in Space" hub was blacklisted for mobile content here in the UK because it was "XXX rated" until I petitoned them to have it revieiwed manually by a human being to show it was not actually adult subject matter, just a good headline!

I guess I felt a bit conned at the end because when I got there it was basically just a promotion for your site. But that may be just me - I don't tend to like hubs that just promote one self-interest.

7. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Brainstormer,

I don't consider this adult content, but that doesn't mean that Google doesn't...it's probably a very thin tightrope that you're walking as far as adsense goes. Great Hub, but you probably just need to be careful with the subject matter you're dealing with.

In other words, better safe than sorry....

8. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

Just another perspective, Ryan,

If I don't want my 12 year old reading it then no matter how tasteful it is it is adult content.  I wrote a hub on intimacy games for couples and I certainly consider that to be adult content. smile

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

If you're looking for ways to improve your AdSense income (as your title suggests), you'll probably need to pick topics that generalize and monetize better than the semi-personal and humorous content you've got up.  Choose subjects that people who are already looking to buy something might search for--those are the people who are going to click on ads or make Ebay/Amazon purchases.  Business, money, health, fashion... these are all subjects which monetize well.

10. Brainstormer profile image58

I am so sorry I have not responded to your assistance. I must admit I thought this forum request was dead but instead I find that I have been given assistance by those in a position to know the score.

I can only say at the outset I truly appreciate you all taking the time. I needed a hand in trying to determine what works at HubPages and what doesn't. When I first came to here it was with one goal in mind. That was to learn how gain an income supplement from the internet. That is still a goal, maybe even the primary goal. What I did not expect was to enjoy the creative writing aspects of what I was doing. Nor did I expect to find a community here that for the most part is a pleasure to belong to. I am trying to write about subjects that are worth talking about, and/or are funny, and will generate high levels of interest. I have by self admission a lot to learn.

Thank you Uninvited Writer for your comment. I took heart in what you said and perhaps didn't say.

Julie-Ann Amos. I appreciated you passing on your own personal experience. I understand what you mean about just being conned. All I can say is that my request for help was genuine. I am serious in my intentions, and my desire to be here in twelve months time. Time will tell I guess. I think you might have felt that way when you found out there weren't even any adds being displayed. It took SunSeven to point that one out to me. I am sure it happened after I posted this forum request. Perhaps a hint to the truth here. After getting over the initial shock of learning Adsense had blacklisted that article I found I could not have cared less. I had a blast writing it, was really enjoying the comments going back and forth, and got a kick out of the interest it generated. Thank you and I am sorry I did not respond sooner.

Ryan.  Spot on and in this case it was too tight a rope and Google shook me off. I just found out where the line is. Better safe than sorry. Yep. From here on I do not expect to posting anything quite so provocative but then again my content message was worthwhile so I might not back away entirely. I guess once I started writing it just seem to come out. I blame the dog. Thank you.

Marye. Food for thought. I shall seriously consider all the aspects of what you are saying. Thank you.

Maddie. Very good intel. As you may have noticed I have not even bothered to set up my affiliate settings for Amazon and Ebay. I have been enjoying the writing and community aspects of what was going on. Not very smart for a guy who says he wants to optimize his earning potential.

Thank you all very much. I knew it was going to be tough putting this Hub onto this forum and it has been. But I have got a lot of the answers I was looking for though in the end I chose the wrong hub for help with tweeking, specific text and picture placement smile

Day by day I learn a little bit more.

11. desert blondie profile image56
    desert blondieposted 15 years ago

To Brainstormer, Although I see lots of hubs with Amazon and ebay 'ads' I too do not use them (any longer). In 5 months, not a single amazon purchase from my hubs.  Although some forums here say a column has to be about 3 months old before it really "gets out there" visibility-wise.  That's what I've been told. I've consistently written 2 or 3 columns each week, but after 5 months, most are still 'young.' I've also tried to be diligent about the word count, the use of videos...etc. etc. that have been recommended.  My views are escalating by leaps and bounds from google and yahoo and 'other' so I'm optimistic! Maddie's clue about the topics should be 'right on' since she's a Hubpages Staffer AND a hubber. Good Luck!

12. Brainstormer profile image58

desert blondie.
    Thank you. One of the tips I am picking up from comments like the ones you have kindly left me was to be patient. Clearly I haven't been patient at all, rushing blindly down paths that wiser heads are saying "you shouldn't really be doing that". I was going to spend time today setting up my Amazon and ebay adds but maybe I don't need to rush into that one either.
    Your intel about "column age" is well received and understood though it did bring forth a sigh. On the other hand your own personal increase in optimism and increase in traffic from external sources gave me an indication that with continued effort, worthwhile content and the right topics,   HubPages may just work for me. I hope so because I am having a lot of fun at the moment.

Choosing the topic/s that monetizes well, lets me write about subjects that I am interested in and don't bore me to tears is going to be the challenge and although by self admission I can be shameless I do have a personal line in the sand regarding honesty with those I interact with.

I am sure you have heard it all before, but it is labour intensive and time consuming. I did not really believe that bit about passive income and I have a feeling that with a slight change of writing styles and topic choice it will ease back a bit. In business your returns are generally very closely linked to effort. As I get better at writing and typing I hope that I will become more efficient as well. It is pleasing to see that the high echelon Hubbers still participate in the community network and forums.

Geeze I dribble on at times. Sorry.

Thanks desrt blondie.

13. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Hey Brainstormer,

I agree with desert blondie as far as having patience goes. Success on HubPages, like most things worth doing, doesn't happen overnight. But, if you keep up the great Hubbing, it will all pay off here soon.

Just don't get discouraged, you're doing great so far!

14. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

Even though the question or request for help was not posted by me, reading through this has been a great help, and a great inspiration for me.  I learned a few things that I did not know, learned a few tips from people who really know what they are doing, and eased some stress I was having over the whole thing.  Thanks to those that submitted helpful information!!!!

15. Brainstormer profile image58

Thanks Ryan,
    Your encouragement is valued. I love that avatar of yours. Brainstormer is a bit weak but I will persevere with it.
    Cheers mate.

Anna Marie - its been very helpful and appreciated by me as well. As you know those that have replied to my request for help are amongst the most knowledgeable in the HubPages community. That in itself is a good indicator that HubPages can show a return. If it didn't they wouldn't bother.

Thanks again all for taking the time. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)