Why HubPages is putting so many limits on us?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (70 posts)
  1. john.maco profile image55
    john.macoposted 12 years ago

I joined Hubpages a few weeks back and I find it useful to share information with users from all over the world.

But I do not understand why a user cannot promote his or her hub?

What is the issue if I am bringing traffic to my hub from third party sources?

You cannot write about this topic, you cannot do this? What is wrong with your TOS?

Today I found one of hub disabled due to the fact that I was promoting it on some other site?

GROW UP GUYS. DON'T YOU WANT OUR HUBS TO BE READ BY USERS OTHER THAN HUB PAGE MEMBERS?

WHY CANNOT WE PROMOTE IT? IF I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BRING READERS TO MY HUB THEN WHAT IS THE USE OF ME WRITING HUBS AND WASTING TIME HERE?

PLEASE CLARIFY THIS AS I AM THINKING ABOUT SHIFTING BACK TO MY OWN BLOG.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Million dollar question, this.

Everyone self promotes. Without self promotion no-one knows you have written anything.

The guy with a website or blog with no original content, or poorly formatted English, still beats quality, original sites because he has garnered 3,000 backlinks.

Before Panda, the strength of the Hubpages platform alone was enough to spring-board well-written, well-researched hubs to stardom.

Now that strength is gone or diminished, we are on an even keel with the rest of the web, and have to self-promote.

I have not promoted any of my newer hubs, and they are nowhere to be found on Google search - or way down at the back.

I have promoted by sites and blogs, although I am still not gaining backlinks (none showing in MS) they are slowly rising in the SERPS.

I did read somewhere that Google was ignoring backlinks that come from forum promotion to try and reduce the sheer weight of spam that is weighing the whole net down.

Maybe it is that type of promotion HP frowns upon, unless you are active in these forums anyway?

I tend to stick to rss feed and article marketing types of promotion.

john.macoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IzzyM - Thanks for your reply. But without promotion I do not think there is any use of writing on HubPages. In my view, HubPages should not be bothered whether I am using Google adwords, forums, traffic exchanges, bookmarking or anything from hell to generate traffic. It is my right to bring readers to my article.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do bare minimum promotion.  Facebook, twitter, a few bookmarking sites, tumblr, newsvine, shetoldme, best reviewer, digg and reddit.

Sometimes I just hit it out of the park with Google, it seems, just with that, what I consider "bare minimum."  I don't have the answers, but it's not just the quality of the text - it's the outright attractiveness of the page.  Vids, pics, links, and text - arranged attractively, and well written.

Not bragging here - but I recently did a hub about the a Snake.  I can already tell that it's going to be a winner, and it's getting great Google traffic already.

Make your hub as attractive as possible, is my advice.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Wesman. A query.  Is a bookmarking site just a load of links?  Do they get search traffic?  And why would anyone bother visiting one, more than once? I may have misjudged these places, just don't really see the point.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I don't care if anyone visits them or not, just so long as the search engine spiders do smile

Exactly!  THat's the entire point of it.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Wouldn't it be better if they just visited the original article?  I know this sounds terribly naive but what is the benefit to a searcher of having a link somewhere that points somewhere else?  I understand the organic linking - someone genuinely believes that a page is useful and links to it - but can't Panda sort out the genuine links from the other sort?
                I guess, and I am a mixture of hacked off and sad here - that it's all just a game.  Spend ten minutes writing an article (not you Izzy I like your stuff), and then hours building the link thing.  Oh yes, hundreds of people have apparently linked to this excellent bit of writing so up the rankings it goes.
                And that I suspect is why when I search I get pages and pages of utter shite.

That is sad - the counting the number of links - but maybe Google thinks that the author just doesn't care if he doesn't do a bit of promotion himself?????

Maybe Google thinks they are God, and we've all heard that God helps those who help themselves. . . .(don't know if I should laugh or cry at that one. . . .)

Well, thanks for your replies Wesman, at least I've gained enough material to write something about it all.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Are you talking about people or bots visiting the original article? I suspect you mean people, but in order for people to find the original article, Google have to list it highly in the search engines.

Humans can't possibly shift through the mountains of content on the web manually, so they use bots to do it for them.

And one of the factors that helps the bot decide what is good content or not, is the number of other links that point to one site or article.

I know ethically, we should just write stuff that people want to read, and they will automatically link it for you, but your page has to be high enough in the search engines for people to read it in the first place!

Meanwhile, every decent content writer out there is competing against the spammers of this world, and those that are just out to play the system with really crappy or copied content.

I see nothing wrong with boosting our hubs by sending them to bookmarking sites, or by sending re-worded versions of them to article directories with links pointing back to the first article, or using rss feeds to promote them.

If the content is good, they will rise against the floods and stay there once they have the readership. It's backlinking to get them read in the first place that is so difficult now, but not pre-Panda.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Hey Mark.  YES, it's just a load of links.  Think of it as some place to store something in case you forgot where it was - from Delicious, or google bookmarks, live journal, or (the best one) A1 Webmarks - you can always find it.

I do, for the sake of being a nice guy (once a decade) throw in other persons bookmarks as well.

No, you get almost ZERO direct traffic from those bookmarking sites, but sometimes you'll get a hit or two.

I keep forgetting redgage.  I use redgage sometimes too.

I stopped doing any sort of pattern.  I use the AddThis extension for Chrome or Firefox as my bookmarking and sharing - it's really about the only promotion I use, the various configurations of the AddThis extension. . . .so never do I have something promoted on all the sites that I have accounts on.  I do it randomly.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The use of traffic exchanges is prohibited by the AdSense Program Policy, as well as by the policies of most other major advertising networks.  That's the reason they are prohibited on HubPages.  You can certainly promote your Hub, you just can't use traffic exchanges to do so.

We also strongly recommend respecting the policies of other sites, such as social bookmarking sites, etc.   Gross abuse of other sites policies can result in action being taken against your Hubs or HubPages account (after careful investigation).

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

To be honest mate and please don't take offence, but you got me thinking and I'm in the mood for a rant.

I am sick and tired of fake backlinking, forum spamming, traffic exchanging, the little blurbs on one site to another and so on, all to get more traffic or Google love.

I don't give a monkeys what SEO experts say, or why having these backlinks is important.  To my mind if you write something - that should be sufficient.  Why should there be a race to spam your stuff round the internet - so the game is just to do it faster than the competition.

It's why the search results come up with thousands of pointless spammy tiny bits of info, with the invitation to either look at my ads or click through for more info.  And more info and more info.

Not aimed at you.  Aimed at everyone who does this.  It's nonsense.

Now, if the search engines would judge pages on content rather than this pointless nonsense we might get rid of it.

Mark thanks for your reply and I do appreciate your opinion but I do not write articles just for users of HubPages. If I write an article I seriously want it to reach maximum number of readers. The website in question (that they are objecting to) is traffup.net and I think it is really a good place to get visitors from all around the globe. Why should I limit my articles just to users of HubPages? Why should I wait for search engines to index my article in order to reach it to users outside HubPages? If promoting one's work is bullshit then I think we all are wasting our time here.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree more, Mark!  I do no promoting other than the FB Twit thingie whenever I publish a hub.  If an article has worth it will be linked by those who enjoy or use it.  I believe this is the intended purpose of having a useful search engine for finding the best information about a certain subject.

I also believe this is why HP took such a hit from Google.  Why start the whole thing over again?  smile

Thanks Randy, it's always a worry when I go off on one.

3. Ritsos profile image40
      Ritsosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whilst I agree Mark, it's just the way it is .... it's a bit like writing a book and sticking the box full of them under the bed unless you promote them I;m afraid

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

I cannot see the comparison between promoting an article intended for informational purposes and selling a book which may or may not be intended for those searching for quick info. 

There is a difference between getting your article "out there" and using promotion to get a less worthy article to the top of the SERPS.  If the article is worthy it will be judged so by the searchers eventually.  Mass promotion defeats the whole purpose of the search engines and costs those paying for ads intended for the searchers of the best information on the subject.

Because "it's the way it is" is no excuse for gaming the system.  Those who do things the right way are punished along with those who try and take shortcuts. We've just seen evidence of this. smile

3. cheerfulnuts profile image60
    cheerfulnutsposted 12 years ago

Hi john.maco! It's kind of frustrating when our hubs get very little traffic. However, don't give up. There are other ways to promote your hubs. Try posting links on different social bookmarking sites such as shetoldme, redgage, digg, and reddit. There are many bookmarking sites out there. You can also put links on forums that are related to your hubs or in question and answer sites such as yahoo answers.
    I've just learned a few days ago that posting your links on paid-to-click, paid-to-surf, autosurf and click-exchange programs is prohibited. One example of such program/site is traffup, where people put links for members to click on and in return, you will have to click theirs to gain points. This is a very effective and easy way to gain lots of traffic. However, I didn't know that this is considered "cheating" and is prohibited by HubPages. I think HP wants to protect the rights of their advertisers, which I understand. I've got a warning from HP, and I removed all my hubs off traffup immediately. My hubs are still here. Don't worry if HP removed your hubs. HP will allow you to republish it until all traffic exchange traffic has been discontinued for at least one week. Don't give up my friend. And don't leave HP. It's a really nice community. All we have to do is to know the rules and follow them. Good luck!

cheerfulnuts

I remember I first got to know about you and your hubs through traffup.net and it is only through the same site that I found really good articles of other users of HubPages.

I wonder why they term promoting a hub using a third-party site as cheating. And I am not sure how readers on your hub can affect the rights of their advertisers. Not sure about anybody else but I do not visit a webpage just to click an ad on it.

HP may have their own terms but this self-centered approach of theirs will not take them to places. I understand removing 1 or 2 hubs or loosing a few users will not affect them but internet (just like our universe) is infinite and there are a lot of galaxies waiting to be discovered.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

So it is okay with you if the top rated article on Google search is not the best source of info but is there because of mass promotion?  How does this help anyone but the mass promoter?  smile

If Google has no issues with mass promotion then I don't think I should complain about it. Moreover my idea is just to bring more readers to my article. Whether its Google adwords, word of mouth, traffup.net or social bookmarking - it hardly matters as long as users are reading my articles.

2. IzzyM profile image86

I did not realise from your opening post that you meant traffup.net which is a traffic exchange program.
        While Google doesn't come straight out and say it, there is a very strong hint on this link - http://adsense.blogspot.com/2007/04/not … grams.html - that one can lose one's adsense account if the traffic brings with it adsense clickers.
        If it brings traffic and no clicks, frankly I fail to see what use is it to anyone anyway.

Btw I will not call this particular site i.e. traffup.net a traffic exchange site. If you use it you will see it is quite different from other sites. Here you have to search for sites and manually visit a website by clicking a link and have to wait for 10-15 seconds before you earn some points. It is not like starting a slideshow with sites rotating every 10 seconds giving you the priviledge of leaving your laptop or minimizing your browser and still earning thousand of points.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … swer=81555  It is not HP's self centered approach. It is complying with Google AdSense TOS.

4. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Ewbie scores a goal with a right foot volley! Gotcha mate and couldn't agree more. That last point is particularly righteous.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

If you write articles that have the right keywords you do not have to bring any traffic to your hubs, it will come from the search engines. Traffic exchanges are against not only HubPages TOS but Google's too.

Maybe you will be better sticking to your own blog, they seem to be doing better for everyone post-Panda.

1. ibf profile image58
      ibfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But, own blog or website demands too much time and technical expertise.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not really, it's very easy to set up a Blogger blog.

2. john.maco profile image55

Btw did you also think about starting your own blog? Any tips?

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Who wants that kind of traffic?

http://searchengineland.com/google-webm … site-84265

It's not just HP's policies, it's complying with AdSense policies.
    Anything that can artificially generate invalid clicks/impressions is prohibited. Why take the chance of losing your AdSense account?

1. kerryg profile image85
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering the same thing. A site like traffup may increase visitor numbers, but if all of your "visitors" are only trying to get points to improve the standing of their own site, they're not going to click on ads, or spread the word to their friends. They're probably not even going to read it. I don't understand how that sort of traffic would do anything but reduce your CTR to a fraction of 1%, and if that happens long and consistently enough, you get smart-priced.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84

They may click on an ad just to be clicking with no intention of buying or even interest, which costs the advertisers money. Advertisers have to pay for those 'invalid' clicks. If it happens widespread on a site, the site loses those advertisers, or it could affect attracting top advertisers to your site.

2. john.maco profile image55

Then I think Google must also close their adwords program because often people do not find useful information on the advertised site and chances of clicking on an ad on the advertised site (if they have adsense) are high. Not sure about you but I do not visit a site to click on ads with closed eyes.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess they don't mind if you are paying them for Adwords! I'd guess it cancels those clicks out? From my experience, to run adwords you must have a decent amount of content on your site and a Google representative reviews it. Ive run several campaigns.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84

I don't click ads. I go directly to the site if I'm interested.
        Part of the reason prices keep going up is the huge amount of $$ advertisers must pay to generate profitable business. A lot of money is 'thrown away' by invalid/lazy/disinterested clicks. [check out time spiral's hub about sponsored links]

7. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I started to realize that Hubpages was a good stepping stone to help people share their thoughts and opinions but why spend all your day backlinking several static pages? OK if you are looking for some extra cash at the end of the month but if you want big money then you need to build your own site that is going to be revisited.

Don't get me wrong, Hubpages is my home, I'll always be here to chat in forum and to write when I have chance.

Also I agree with Izzy, before Panda hubs would shoot to stardom, I had a few that were 2nd on Google page 1 and they were getting 1000's of views a day. Now my sites get that traffic.

8. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

When you say promotion, are you saying, you linked it on your Facebook page, your Twitter and your website, or are you saying you spammed a bunch of links all over the universe on sites like sneaky-link.com and F-the-reader.net?

Because I haven't heard of any issue with some genuine promotion on Facebook pages you create.

Perhaps I've missed that, maybe someone will fill me in if HP has disallowed sharing with our friends and family.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

He's using traffic exchanges from what I understood

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss some proclamation about promotion. Sometimes, in the spasm of adjusting to a sudden jolt, organizations can do more damage with their reactions than they received from the jolt. So, just checkin'. smile

I like f-the-reader.

Incidentally I checked before posting what the deal was.  We are not talking Facebook Shares.

I am slightly hopeful that the 500 updates Google is planning this year (yes I believe it is 500) will sort out some of the spam problems.  Otherwise they will wake up to no internet and Facebook ruling the world.

9. Greg Sage profile image41
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I'm with Mark and Shade on this one.

Most of the "promotion" being discussed around here actually only serves to make the internet a worse place for everyone.  Call me an outsider, but for all the complaining people do about Google, it seems like the ones doing the most complaining are the same ones who have made Google so useless with their bogus "promotion" that it HAS to change or else ALL it's top results would be spammy crap.

It's the same with HP.

I see people on here making a huge stink about something like mentioning SOMEONE ELSE's non-product driven article in a relevant forum thread as if it's anathema...

... only to turn around a minute later and dispense information on how to automate link farms, and put just enough spin on your bs spam links to keep them from being automatically deleted.

Out of curiosity, I went and read couple of the "articles" these folks wrote.

Let's just say I was less than shocked at what I found.

Spammers are upset because it's open season on spam.

I definitely think spamming is bad, which is why I never point anyone to my most recent hub, which can be found HERE

1. Greg Sage profile image41
        Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh....  Like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84

It's why we love you SB.

big_smile

Yes, I use F-the-reader.net all the time. They have a special upgraded service that, for an extra $20 a month, not only do they provide misguide readers to your insipid articles, they send a guy out to kick the readers dog too. It's great.

1. Greg Sage profile image41

I looked into that, but I decided they're not trustworthy since their feedburner count was too low showing few subscribers.

I am to prudent to buy into anything that's not already popular.

If they had spent the time and energy to figure out how to use photoshop to fake their subscriber count, then I would know they were a true professional outfit.

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
            Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sb, that is so hilarious!!!  I will definitely use F-the-reader.net.  thanks for making me laugh today. smile

3. john.maco profile image55

Good one..!

4. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay--Everyone 'fess up...who just couldn't resist hovering your mouse over that to see if it was a real link???  lol

Loved it! big_smile

Hover?  I clicked on it several times, tutting under my breath about shame faced self promotion and why didn't I think of it.

Anything that says HERE in blue, man I'm going to be straight in there with my credit card.

1. TamCor profile image81
            TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't feel so bad then--I only clicked on it ONCE! big_smile

Um, are you my daughter, incognito??? lol

There's a few ways I could answer this but I am going for...

No.

10. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

OK, I've read everybody's comments, and know first of all, that I have only written a few articles, stick mainly to poetry, and so I understand that self-help articles and "how to" articles seem to draw an amazing amount of traffic.  Also, I can't deny that I enjoy adding new followers to my hubs, etc. BUT, given that, I have to say that I must be weird or something.  I write on Hubpages strictly because I enjoy writing.  While I do share on FB and Twitter, and have a Google profile, don't think it has really done me much good, and frankly, I don't care that much.  I do appreciate whoever it was who said it's like writing a book or whatever and then shoving it in a box under the bed......I get that.  Nobody sees it and can appreciate it.  But what about you, the writer?  Shouldn't it first be about your enjoyment in writing, your pride in what you have written, even if no other living soul ever sees it?  I guess I am a purist. Don't throw rocks at me.

Nope, I'm with you.

I write for the joy of it. I am a sarcastic windbag, and I just like to let my snide little snarky self seep out into the universe for nothing other than the satisfaction of having let the emotion run its course.

No rocks coming at you from me. Writing is fun. If you aren't having fun writing, your reader isn't having fun either. Period.

Agree with both of you.  I confess to trying a bit of spam style writing to start with "Make Big Money Now" or whatever.  But more and more I am concerned about my searcher.  IF they find me, then hopefully I can give them something they wanted to read.
        When people click in and click straight out I feel I have failed.

I did too, my first ten hubs or so. What did I know? I was new, everyone was saying, "Go onto Reddit and Digg and link the crap out of your stuff!" So I did. That's what the "experts" on here were telling me.

When I got to my tenth hub, I linked it on Digg (that was the one I actually used ... the irony of that word not lost on me now), and when I tried to link it, it didn't work. I got some sort of message saying, in essence, "Hey, all ten of your links are from the same domain. Stop being a douchebag spammer and link something you actually like."

That's when I realized what my conscience knew... that there really wasn't a call out there in the cyber world for me to jam up my links to the world at large, everyone clamoring to hear what I had to say, me, ME, MEEEEE, you all want to hear from ME right? I matter so much, of course you have built a system by which I can deliver unto you my genius!!!!!

Such a vain assumption. So, humbled and feeling like a snake, that was the last time I did it. Now I promote myself through channels I'm not ashamed of. Legitimate channels, built slowly, with accountability coming back to me for what I do, how I do it, and what it is I'm pimping.

I can live with that.

Question:  Do you think linking your stuff in relevant forums is a good idea, or do you think that that annoys folks who read those forums?

I think it depends if you are a legitimate and regular contributor to that forum or if you are just swooping in like some great hub-writing pigeon dropping your link on the hood of their forum car.

HAHAHAHHA.  Yeah.  There's no easy traffic unless we just knock it out of the park.

2. Greg Sage profile image41

Hey now... everyone needs a hobby.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

MILLION PERCENT AGREEMENT (even though hundred percent was plenty)

I call anyone writing about anything that they are only writing about in hopes of drawing high pay per click adverts "SPINNERS"

. . . and the product "CRAP"

I thought I would be burned at the stake at the Info Barrel Forum for saying that. . . .

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

It is possible to combine business with pleasure with your writing if you are able.  Even my How-to articles were enjoyable for me, and apparently others too as some have many questions asked in the comments. 

I also get get satisfaction in answering the queries of those having problems and even more when I help solve them.  Having some tell you your articles are most informative they could find on the subject is also a pleasant experience.  and the money helps a little too.  smile

But I do not trouble myself with promotion and prefer to write instead of backlinking all over the place.  Just my preference and not advising others to emulate me.  smile

11. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Right.  I'm off to find some forums for assholes who like writing shit and then I can subtly introduce my stuff to them.

Hang on? I'm already on...

No forget it.  Just playing.

Seriously, it's very nice that we can disagree without a major bustup.

12. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hiya John, sorry for your experience.  There are a few forum threads where this traffic site was mentioned and some hubbers here, including myself, tried to warn the other hubbers that their Google Adsense account and their HP account might get banned for violating TOS.  Well, look at it this way.. your account was not banned.. yet.  HP is really a good site.. very nice community, better than most.  Welcome to Hubpages!

13. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I have always found Hubpages fair with any concerns they have over my hubs and I've always found them to be courteous when requesting I edit something but I have tried other writing platforms of late and some other sites are way too pretentious for my liking. Two of my favorite places for backlinking are Ezine and Triond, they have moderators which I don't mind because they always approve my stuff! smile

14. RishiKS profile image60
    RishiKSposted 12 years ago

Whats wrong with traffic exchange websites, as long as they are not automatic?

I agree that there are many traffic exchange websites, which display websites automatically. But in case of traffup.net, you have a right to view a website or not. Plus, you are given all the information about the website upfront. That means you get relevant visitors on your websites or hubs.

So, i guess "So called Google" should change its Adsense policy to make it more flexible.

And if they can't change it, then we should respectfully start our own blogs.

1. IzzyM profile image86

What do you mean "so called Google"? That is the company's name.

Their company. Their rules and we must all abide.

Where do you want to start a blog? Blogger? Google-owned.

15. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I am astounded that so many people don't see the difference between promotion, spamming and cheating.

Adsense wants real organic traffic visiting real original and inoffensive content. That is the game we are playing here.

If you understand that, it is obvious why link farms, traffic exchanges and the like are not permitted by Adsense, and thus by Hupages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)