Following someone

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. uche_n2a profile image60
    uche_n2aposted 12 years ago

Sometime ago someone said it is a pleasant courtesy to follow whoever is following you; since then I adopted same as good practice. So when I follow someone I expect the person to reciprocate out of same courtesy.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then you are out of line and have the wrong concept of why to follow anyone.  Hubpages is not a social site playing the following game.

The ONLY reason to follow anyone is because you like what they write and want to see more of it.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are those hubbers who do it that way and others who do not. Just keep writing and believe me if you write they will come.smile

3. sasta10 profile image61
      sasta10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I like someones hub I follow them even if they don't follow me.  I also follow those that follow me becos I am kind.  Thanks.

2. uche_n2a profile image60

Thanks and I think that is the spirit and the way to go AEvans.

3. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

I think it is also a mistake to follow people without reading their hubs. I explained in a hub I wrote called How New Hubbers Ruin Their Hubscore

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

If you were to follow everyone who follows you, then you'd never have time to read all their Hubs. You follow someone when you want to keep informed about their new Hubs. That's the only reason why you should be following someone. I have over 400 followers. Imagine if I was to reciprocate for each. I could never keep up!

I'll tell you what I do... 2 things...

(1) I follow someone if I see they have a common theme of writing that is of interest to me. I may love one of their Hubs. But that might be an exception and no reason to follow. I'll find them again anyway as I watch for new Hubs under the Hubs tab. Many people write about various unrelated topics, as I do. So it would be silly to follow blindly.

(2) When someone follows me, my way of reciprocating is to check out their Hubs to see if there is anything that interests me. But first I look at their Hubtivity. If I see they just followed 20 other people within the same minute, I ignore them.

Have you been spying on me?  That's almost exactly the way I do it.  Particularly the last couple of lines.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I just joined HP I did the follow someone because they followed me thing, plus I was following people I really wanted to follow. In no time I was following over 100 people. At the same time I found I had little or no time to actually work on my own stuff because I spent the greater part of each day reading well over 30 hubs.

I have lost a few followers, but that's no problem because having a follower that does not read your work does not help you at all.
        I decided to check out some hubivity and realized that there were a set of persons on HP that only followed people. They hardly wrote anything and they certainly do not read your hubs. So I educed the amount of persons I follow by sticking those that really interest me and those that are active writers.

5. uche_n2a profile image60

Hello wilderness
    I had no idea you existed let alone spy on you. Well since we both are applying same courtesy approach, then it mus be worth it then and probably it work very well.

You misunderstand.  I was replying to Glenn Stok - he uses almost the exact approach I do.

6. uche_n2a profile image60

Thanks you all for your responses but with very delicate thoughts about following people, I guess I assumed wrongly that people would understand that (a) you would have read and found very informative the hub of the  persons you follow, (b) keeping tab of the hub of someone you have found his collection of write ups very fascinating, (c) you also publish informative and captivating hubs for which people would like to follow you and lastly (d) you ensure you identify what sort of hub you enjoy, e.g poems or purely articles.
    I hope am a lot clearer now people?

I at least did not understand your take on it.  I thought that you would automatically follow back as a matter of courtesy but I see that I was mistaken.

It's just that I very commonly get a follower that, when I look at their hubtivity, has just recently followed dozens of other people as well.  They very obviously haven't read that many hubs and are simply looking for someone to follow them back (perhaps out of courtesy).   Which I never do.

7. princess g profile image61
    princess gposted 12 years ago

When I first started, I would just follow people randomly. Now I only follow if there is something I've read that I enjoy. I really don't want to fill up my feed with stuff I'm not interested in.

I make the exception for people I interact with or I think are funny on the forums, whether I've read their stuff or not.

1. someonewhoknows profile image72
      someonewhoknowsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Stupid is as stupid does "
      A FAMOUS LINE IN THE MOVIE "FOREST GUMP" infects us all. It is the failure to draw reasonable conclusions or exercise appropriate judgment even though one is, or should be, aware of the pertinent facts. Stupidity can also be a denial of  "THE"  facts because they do not fit into one’s particular philosophy or belief system.
      For example, it is probably stupid to avoid medicines that cure just because they may not be holistic, or because one does not believe in doctors.

Looking back to those who dominated the medical profession in the twenieth century.

The reason holistic health practicisoners were forced to exist as a lower class of medical practitioner,was because of the "selfishness" and feeling of supiority of those who wanted to practice a more costly form of medicine.

The Doctor who started the A.M.A. American Medical Association ,never even practiced medicine at the time he created the organization.He came right out of college and proceeded to organize this system of medical authority,which is biased toward making the cost of medical care as exspensive as possible.It,seems TEMPTATION to control others actions is the definition of the "DEVEL" as described in religion.Religion being alligence to an organized system of control over peoples actions.Not,that everything they do is bad,but the potential is there.Politics does the same thing,but in a more secular way,in the civic arena.

In the "real" world, reality is whatever each of us think it is, privately or collectively.Our private reality may not reflect our public reality.Reality can be subjective or objective depending on what your intentions are as opposed to what other peoples intentions are.Reality is not necessarily what "we" as individuals or collectives think it is.

For example: After the world trade center disaster in Newyork on 9/11/2001 during a news conference with former president Bush,he was asked by a reporter ,about accusations that he knew beforehand that the disaster was about to occur,and did nothing to try to stop it.and wheather making an accusation like that bordered on hatespeech After a few seconds of hesitation,and uncertainy as to what to say.The president clearly looks disturbed by the question ,and says:

Quote: "It's,It's aaa politics,and aaaaaaaaaa  you know it's aaaaaaa politics."Then realizing that he's showing his insecurity with being asked such a question,says "It's an absurd insinuation."
      Everyone laughs ,it off as ad absurd insinuation,out of respect for either the president,or because they fear it might be the truth and they fear it's implications for them as well as others..

We tend to go along to get along rather than question authority.Not that they would be willing to tell us the truth if they were trying to hide it.

1. princess g profile image61
        princess gposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What in the world are you talking about?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think he/she got lost...

8. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I sometimes follow back.

9. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

There I followed you now you have to follow back...lol

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I have done both - but I really just want to follow people whose hubs I like.  So I no longer follow hubbers just becuz they follow me.  In fact, I have followed a couple of really prolific hubbers who I would never have time to read all their daily hubs and I'd like to unfollow but I don't want to hurt their feelings!  Ahh, the complexities of hubber etiquette!  That's the real question, when is the right time to UNFOLLOW and why?  big_smile

11. uche_n2a profile image60

That is the real unspoken question: when is the right time to unfollow someone?

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I follow people that I think may write the kind of stuff I'm usually interested in reading, but also people who write stuff that may be an interesting, and yet new and different, type of thing (apart from my "usual" preferences).  I lean more toward "general reading" type stuff than niche type stuff; so by "different" I don't mean "so different" that it isn't general reading.  For example, if someone follows me and I discover it's someone with "9 zillion" Hubs about making money online, software, or even children's books; I don't follow them.  I'd be lying if I pretended to be interested in their Hubs (no matter how much I may otherwise respect the person's writing).

I'm pretty slow at adding new people to follow, mainly because I've collected so many to follow already.  Un-following some would be the answer, but with a lot of them; if I followed them once, and they're still writing the same kind of stuff, I don't want to un-follow just to make room (time) for some more.  Needless to say, there's not time to read every Hub of everyone I follow; so I see their Hubs as a big pool from which I can choose from at one time or another when the time is good.  On the other hand, once in awhile I'll just follow someone who follows me back - just because it looks like I may enjoy some of the stuff they write.  In other words, I often just "do whatever" if it seems right at the time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)