Can I still make money in hubpages despite the hackers?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Jynzly profile image64
    Jynzlyposted 12 years ago

I had been followed and my accounts everywhere being abused by unscrupulous and conscience-less hackers since May of 2011. They cloned my ID's, slightly changed my ID, posted my picture and created an account in my name in facebook, stole my yahoo ID's; twitter, facebook, gmail, hotmail, and yahoo are their worst playgrounds for me where some of my accounts were suspended even when I had not used them myself; perhaps a hundred ID's look similar to mine and a lot more. I have had horrible experiences with hackers in the net that I feel reluctant in making friends. Even in hubpages they attempted to grab my account and I am even suspicious that they had duplicated my account here. I feel so helpless since I am not a technical person, nobody can help me. I am on my own and I already had one laptop "dead" and this new one, I am using now is again in danger.
    I would be very glad doing my homework in my hubs in order to earn if I feel safe from hackers grabbing my accounts. For the moment, I just write for the fun of it and would not think of earing so that when I am hacked, I would just leave without so much regrets.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

gmail notifies you when someone has breached your account. That is if you are in the U.S. I agree yahoo is the worse. I would recommend a spyware to add to your computer. Don't make your passwords easy to hack and change them every couple of months. If you are using your cellphone to access your accounts, I would also recommend that you do not use it.

Jynzlyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

AEvans,
        Thank you for that sound advice.
        Jynzly

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Do you know if someone has a personal grudge against you? Either that or have you had your computer carefully cleaned and good anti-spyware installed?

My best advice if you've done the above would be to start completely afresh - create new accounts that are completely unrelated to your old ones and don't feature your name or even your photo.

Hi WryLit,
      I don't know about personal grudge, if there is then I would think that what he/she/they are doing to me is much more than I deserve; it would be plainly hate in their hearts. I admit that sometimes I really go crazy in my anger for what had been done to my computer and accounts so that I say bad words but to no particular person as I am not sure who my hackers are. The only recipient of my anger in the net is my husband; but he knows that he is just my "shock absorber", I am not really angry at him; I am angry with what the hackers continuously do; I would even suppose that they are just having fun when they notice my anger.
      Yes, even my daughter told me to completely "clean up" my personality in the net and even change my ip#.
      I really have no technical skills and I refuse to learn because my anger overtakes me. Perhaps one day I will get serious with the net and especially when my husband and I will finally be together; he will teach me what to do, better yet he will do everything technical in my internet activities. For the mean time I will just have to go along with what is available for me to do.
      Thanks for the reply and advice. It's well-taken,
      Jynzly

2. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

K9keystrokes, you have become so economical with those keystrokes?

2. Jynzly profile image64

K9keystrokes,

?????????

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

It really isn't feasible to clone someone's HubPages account, since the site would soon detect the duplicate material and unpublish it. Duplicate content is not allowed.

Hi Website Examiner,
      I think you are right, and this is the reason why I was able to write and write hubs here. I had written more than 20 hubs safely in just a month; I enjoy writing and HP is a very interesting site; I enjoy reading the minds(I mean the discussions) of the people here. HubPages is the only site so far that I am safe from the hackers though I am still careful because I had noticed some attempts again.
      Thank you so much for the reply,
      Jynzly

1. profile image0

Hello Jynzly. You are welcome. I also did a TinEye reverse image search for your profile picture. That works simply by giving them the location for the image, then they run a scan against their database. 0 matches came up, meaning the system could not detect any copies of the image elsewhere on the Internet. Good luck!

Thank you very much Website Examiner.

2. Dale Hyde profile image79
          Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had not head of TinEye, so I tried it with this pic I use everywhere online and have for several years.  Zero results came up.  I know of at least 30 places that I am on Google that has that pic up. So.... No confidence in TinEye.

1. profile image0

They have in their system the photos that the service itself has crawled and those that users have submitted. Their database currently contains records of over 2 billion images. It can be helpful in detecting copyright violations, but it is not infallible, as you point out.

I also tried Google Image Search. Again, no matching images except from the OP's own HubPages site.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Wrylilt is correct and please listen to her advice.

Get yourself some good anti-spyware and good anti-virus software.There are plenty of them free on the net. I recommend AVG and Malwarebytes.

Always use passwords that contain both upper and lowercase, and a number.

Try to make it NOT a proper word too.

Who knows the reasoning behind a hacker? The good ones aim for big sites, usually. Why pick on you? It has to be someone you know.

It would really help if you Googled your problem and learnt how to deal with it. I know you are hesitant at this point, but really it is easy, honest!

Once you are fully protected, you can go about your business without this worry.

Thank you very much IzzyM,
      I will try to follow your and WryLit"s advice. You're right, he/she must be someone who knows me well because there is nothing the "bigtime" can get from me. It would only be purely fun or spite, either way, I had suffered enough and I like HubPages so much, I like the people, the interactions and the discussions here. The hubs are also fun to read.

1. thejeffriestube profile image59
        thejeffriestubeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"I really have no technical skills and I refuse to learn because my anger overtakes me."

You really have to change this additude. The Internet is not a safe place. The only thing that protects you here is knowing who can do what to you, and hot to prevent it. Even some basic knowledge on what your own computer does to protect you is essential. I think many here would help you understand, but seriously, you cannot put your head in the sand about this.

thejeffriestube,
          I understand what you're saying; my technician had actually taught me how to protect my computer, even my husband gave me some software, but when things go wrong despite following what they say, I begin to panic and call them again. I think that I just have to go along and as far as I am allowed to go in the net and as far as my technicians are willing to do.
          Jynzly

5. profile image0
    ecosimonposted 12 years ago

Opening phishing emails could of opened you up to spyware and trojan attacks. My friend clicked one of these links accidentally, and within a week all their ebay, facebook and twitter accounts had been hacked into.

Arming yourself with decent internet security and changing your passwords regularly with difficult combinations will help your security issues. Also opening up a different email account, and changing every over to this email is maybe a good idea.

I really do sympathize with people who have little or no technical skills, i mean no person who hasn't used a computer for internet access before is ever told about the real dangers.

1. profile image0
      HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hackers typically do not go after the "small" people.  The big corporations or websites are their game.  It sounds like your computer was infected very badly, and thus it appears as if someone is "stalking" you, when this really isn't the case.

Use a different password for every account and keep them in a notebook, in a safe place.  The strongest passwords contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and characters such as $ % and so forth.

I don't know if you use WiFi, but if you do and you use it in a public place, your computer can easily be compromised.  If you use WiFi in your home it needs to be encrypted with WEP at the very least or a higher form, which is WPA-PSK.  Get someone to hep you if you are unsure.  Identity theft is on the rise everywhere.

Hub Tub,
        You are perfectly right. My husband speaks the way you do. Yes, that is my priority, to contact a technician who really knows. I am scared to touch anything in my computer because I had done that before and it lead to complete destruction of my first laptop.
        Jynzly

2. Jynzly profile image64

ecosimon,
      I know you are right, my daughter and her husband are both IT College Instructors. They know my problem and my son-in-law is the one who do all the technical things in my computer but because he is very busy it would take me some time to wait. I am just not a technical person and I teach in a computer school, all my colleagues are PhD's and Masters in Computer; but they just said to me not to worry...the internet is really a risky place to make business if one is not that technically inclined, just like me.
      Jynzly

6. BeatsMe profile image52
    BeatsMeposted 12 years ago

Hi Jynzly, do you, by any chance, log in to several of your accounts at the same time? If so, that is probably one of the reasons why you are easily hacked. You see, some sites can detect exactly what you are doing while you are logged in.

BeatsMe,
      Ow, thank you, yes that is what I exactly do. Thank you for that information. I value that.
      Jynzly

2. profile image0

Many reputable websites set cookies, which may track the browsing pattern, but that is not a security threat. If a system is infected with malware like spyware, it will not make any difference if Jynzly logs into multiple accounts simultaneously or one at a time.

Website Examiner,
        I can see how naive or to say it bluntly, ignorant I am in what exactly is going on in the net. I feel like I am sailing in the widest ocean without a boat. Any way, thank you and to everyone who gave me their ideas. I will have something to discuss with my technician.

1. profile image0

You are welcome. The Internet is complicated, and so are computers. Good luck! And keep us posted, whether you have more questions or have some good news to report.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)