jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Memory mind game

1. Ciel Clark profile image80
    Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago

Fire hydrant, lamp, staircase, wig.
    What are four memories that these words trigger?  (Book, movie, life). 
    Whoever answers first, please then give four random (or seemingly random) words for the next person. 

(I've actually only done this game in my mind, trying to fall asleep-- am interested to see if this will work in a group).  Cheers

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

Cute game!  some of my memories:

Fire hydrant:  Kids playing in the water, when the hydrant was being bled;
    Lamp: ? - (nothing at the moment);
    Staircase: the fun of slipping down the steps on my bottom when I was a toddler;
    Wig: my comment to a friend about how lovely her hair looked, then realizing (with some horror) about one second later that it was actually a wig. yikes

For someone else's memories -

A celebrity
    Cell phone

Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Aficionada-- I just had to answer--  and if no one else does, then see what my words bring to your mind!  Here are my thoughts on your (great) words--

A celebrity:  I met the members of the band X in a record store, and the singer  Exene recommended the book "The Stranger"  -- I read it in English and then wanted to read it in French.  I was about eleven years old.
      Wok: When I was working in Taiwan, there was a noodle stand near my house-- he had the best noodles, and a wok the size of a beanbag chair.
      Cell phone: I used to decorate my cell phones-- now it seems like I get a new one almost too soon. 
      Stapler:  That just makes me think of both "Office Space"  (My stapler!) and "The Office"  (Stapler in Jello).

So what do these words bring to mind?

broken glass

3. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

Oh my goodness!  I should see if anyone else will answer, but three of these are so connected for me, in two different stories actually, that I just have to reply.

As a kid, I was running (I think I had flip-flops on) and ran through a little puddle of water where there was some broken glass, cutting an artery in my foot.  Not quite my toenail, but close.  smile  The other story involved my son, also in sandals, running into a glass door (but not broken) and damaging the toenail of his big toe.  Years later, it's not back to normal.

So maybe a salad of memories?

Actually, all of us in my family love salads of various kinds, so I can't pin down just one memory there.

You met the members of the band X - I'll bet that was so exciting!
    But I'm just about equally psyched about the giant wok.

Here goes with four more:

lamp (since I couldn't come up with anything before)
    railroad tracks

Ciel Clarkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think whoever answers first is fine!  Sandals and injuries--  (I was running in slippers after a dog in a horse field and broke a toe) but your words brought these memories:

lamp:  a lamp flew across the room during a lightning storm

kudzu:  I read a book (gothic) where kudzu was a main character-- this plant ended up covering the scene of the crime.

cowbell:  ha!  makes me think of that Saturday Night Live sketch with Christopher Walken who wants  "More cowbell!"

railroad tracks:  as a kid visiting someone (no idea where this was) we would put pennies on the track and then wait for the train to flatten them.  Yikes, that does not sound at all safe.

Next words:

pencil sharpener
      library card