The God Particle

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (55 posts)
  1. pennyofheaven profile image79
    pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

Last night we had a news segment announcing that scientist may have found what is dubbed as the God Particle. That which gives us mass as I understand their technical terms. It is early days but they are confident this is the missing particle they spent 40 or so years looking for.

So I googled and here are two links that I read

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/7218703/ … e-observed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … ience.html

I think it's exciting news!

What do you all think?

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't look at the links yet.  But I do know this.  Mass is what gives everything in the universe gravity and gravity is what makes everything go around and creates order in the universe.  So for me, God is gravity, in a metaphorical sense.

The large Hadron Collider is an awesome piece of physics and engineering and is tribute to mankind for how many diverse cultures can work together to achieve a common goal...very cool!

pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God is gravity in a metaphorical sense works for me. I agree mankind can do amazing things.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hope you would not find it embarrassing to know that the quest of finding the 'god particle' through their hadron collider is the epitome of human ignorance comparable to the tower of babel.

Why?..simple because what the seek to find is already made so plain and obvious, it has become foolish to believe, thus anything else found would be a lie.  So therefore their quest through their gigantic efforts will be established as the greatest of human folly.

You see the smallest particle exist exactly the same as the the largest...without any defined boundaries and by these two forms the reality of this existence.

A man need not look further than himself to know these things.

Kess, they were not looking to find/confirm God in my understanding.  They were looking for what was the 'glue' or the missing particle that made mass possible.

And I do agree within one can/will know these things. Unfortunately science does not work that way.

1. kess profile image60

I did not say they were looking to confirm any knowledge of God either....

But they are looking for answers pertaining to this reality....
          Some call it God and other differently, it matters not how the person searching define it really...
          The reality of this existence of which they seek answers to, is common to all despite the difference in labels and perceptions thereof...

The first mistake a person can make to begin their search in the wrong place...
          and while that in itself is not wrong, it becomes wrong because it remains perpetually so.

Oh ok  sorry my misunderstanding.

I agree with much of what you say. Whether it is perpetually so would depend on whether all of us search in all the wrong places. I have found though that this does not apply to all, only part thereof.

1. kess profile image60

I do agree that not all search without perpetually.
              But if that person entertain the thought that the search within is insufficient, then he continues to deceives himself.

All The trouble is this world is based on the lacking of identity and this constitutes the entirety of the quest of men. Then it stand to reason that Identity must be established within and within ONLY.

With an established identity, every and all references to the external will be grounded in absolutely Truth.

Yes.

2. profile image0
        scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it is statements like these that are the epitome of human ignorance. We're never going to find answers to the mysteries of the universe by "looking within ourselves" or waiting for divine revelation.

Anti-intellectualism will be the downfall of humanity.

2. LaThing profile image61
    LaThingposted 11 years ago

Hi Penny,
    It is pretty interesting, and amazing! One of our fellow Hubber, Lord De Cross, actually published an article about this. He made it pretty clear to understand. Here is the link if anyone wants to read it:

http://lorddecross.hubpages.com/hub/Tha … s-Particle

And what do you think about it, Penny?

Our fellow Hubber has a very entertaining way of describing technical terms. The analogy presented seemed to represent processes that are in and of each other and that separation needed to occur in order for the logic to understand the nature of their functions.

Some of it made sense and some of it was too technical and may require more reads than one.

I enjoyed the video as it made huge sense.

1. Lord De Cross profile image69
        Lord De Crossposted 11 years agoin reply to this

After all these discoveries, we feel so useless. If the big bang ocurred, then what was behind it? The higgs boson(god particle) is just a missing link that will change molecular science forever. Talking about forever: We as humans can only live around those 80-90 years bracket. The Universe has been evolving an expanding for the last 18 billion years. We are just trying to catch up with the wrath from nature. Sort of a kid trying to fly a 747, on auto for now.

Useless? In what sense would one feel useless? What is it we are trying to catch up with. Is that possible with a universe that is expanding?

1. Lord De Cross profile image69
            Lord De Crossposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are just humble persons that don't comment much on the  forums, unless we feel like. Your points are important and thanks for your insightful thoughts. Useless at times because the more we know, the less we really know.

I agree that the more we know, the less we really know.

2. peoplepower73 profile image90

It's all relative.  Here on Earth, the Higgs Boson from the LHC only lasted for a gazillionth of a second. The speed of light is 186,000 mile per second. The star closests to our sun is 4.27 light years away. Its light takes 4.27 years to reach us. In the universe, there are stars that are billions of light years away form us. The star that created that light may not even exists by the time we see it. I wouldn't call it a wrath.  I would call it amazing and awesome. A 747 is an awesome machine.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I read about it this morning. Fascinating stuff. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. But, honestly. I think we layman may read too much into the label given. It's a large piece of a very intricate puzzle.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the label is given more as a source of energy more than an actual 'God', i.e. not a huge being with a beard hovering in the cosmos. wink

It really is fascinating. I think the video in the first link is interesting. Ever since 8th grade when I wrote a term paper on the atom, I've been very interested in science.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. But, throw the word God into anything and it clutters the brain. Kind of like the word 'taxes' for me. Intelligent thought has to vie for attention with emotion.

Stigma's work that way unfortunately.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

No and I have never perceived God as huge being with a beard. I was thinking more along the lines that they found the glue that holds mass together. Without this glue we will be energetic particles eternally floating body-less so to speak.

Very intricate indeed.

It is god in a sense because there was no universe before the big bang it was just particles floating around in a soup.  When these particles collided and created the big bang, there was gazillions amount of energy created and light...and God said: "Let there be light" and there was and it was good or something like that!

Yep

4. LaThing profile image61
    LaThingposted 11 years ago

Just to clarify few things, God Particle does not mean it's The 'God' particle! It was a name given to Higgs Boson which is 'The' elementary particle that gives mass to other elementary particles; i.e Quarks, and electrons. Nothing to with it being God himself!

Yes, I got that.

No I don't expect that it would have anything to do with God as you understand God.

2. peoplepower73 profile image90

I knew that.  I was trying to be satarical.  But I guess it didn't work. I know what the Higgs Boson is.  I have been follwing development of the LHC for years...Thanks for your clarification.  Maybe others may have a better understanding of it now...and on the seventh day he rested, after creating the Higgs Boson...sorry, I can't help myself.

1. LaThing profile image61
        LaThingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol, lol, didn't mean to say that you didn't understand.... But just to make thinks simplified for anyone new to this! I have been following its development for a while also, but maybe not as long as you smile
        Haha, peoplepower.... After creating Higgs Boson.... That's funny!

I'm glad I made you laugh!

1. LaThing profile image61
            LaThingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. quicksand profile image80
        quicksandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey! You are getting close ... seriously!  Probably Higgs-Bosun was the first ever particle ... you need to have the "glue" first!
        smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Two years ago there was a hubber Professor Eric who was a scientist working at CERN. I guess he got busy, because he didn't stay active. He also wrote as desu. Some of his hubs were quite tongue in cheek, like how to build a hyperbolic time chamber.

It must be so exhilarating working on such a project.

It's kind of crazy if you really ponder what they're doing.

1. Lisa Luv profile image74
      Lisa Luvposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You...Blessings...

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6850259_f248.jpg

It looks more lika a happy sperm!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol, do you mean to say there is such a thing as an unhappy sperm, perhaps because it failed to fulfill its purpose in life?

No, I think because it is a giant size.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
            mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't want to be the egg then lol wink

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Just saw this elsewhere, hilarious:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6851683_f248.jpg

8. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

The definition of the Word (In the beginning was the word, and the word was God...... etc), is also in relation to creation - the beginning - and this is the closest so far we can get to this beginning.  It is a wow moment for humankind and our expansion of consciousness. 

The all that is, at least in human terms, has emanated from this.  Tesla would be pleased.

I'm glad you guys got us back on track and away from the giant sperm!

9. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

You know......more on the expansion of consciousness.  This discovery is possibly THE catalyst for taking huge leaps forward.  There have been predictions of a speeding up and by 2030 we may compare the year 1980 to having been in the dark ages.  We are living in interesting times.

10. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

We do indeed live in the most interesting of times.  We can say that, because we have yet to live in the interesting times ahead which may far and away be even more revolutionary than the last hundred years.  Each life now lives in 'the most interesting of times.'

My dear old mother was born in 1900 and died in 1988. The motor car was almost brand new, radio, television and aeroplane not yet even invented, yet she lived to see Neil Armstrong land on the Moon.  Mum was thirty-six when I was born.

Since 1988 we've become a smaller world.  The Internet and the World Wide Web really is creating a Human Family along with all the shennigans which go on in families.  But the biggest revolution in our time is the one which is transforming the way people perceive themselves.  More and more are beginning to realize that deep down we really are connected to The Whole and that whatever affects us, affects everyone.   It really is 'a giant step for Mankind,'  ...or to be correct nowadays...Humankind.

The god particle shows that we are all made from "star stuff." And whether we realize it or not, we are one with the universe. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think every element that can be found in the universe, can be found in each one of us. So in that sense, we really are all connected.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely peoplepower73.  The microcosm in the macrocosm, or is it the other way around? 

Am sure Tesla knew this and indicated major leaps forward once science connected the dots between the physical (including the stellar stuff) and the metaphysical - which I believe includes a level of consciousness to grasp what's through those black holes.  I believe we have to really think outside the box to understand it.

11. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Ah, physics...

Well, the folks at CERN think differently about the finding. I am sure quantum has much to say on the subject. The idea that a particle exist smaller than a quark is absolutely conceivable, in my opinion. The issue seems to revolve around just one main theory regarding mass and gravity that is the contributing factor to all matter.

However, given the 98% dark energy issue, I am of the mind to believe there are many more smaller particles than this God particle/Boson. I say this because according to the information each quark has six probable flavors -well better said there are six flavors of quarks. Where, then did each get its property? If found to be the new smallest subatomic, is a Boson able to carry all six of them in constant to stabilize the quark itself -to enable gravity at the level. If yes, it would means the Boson is the primary unit of energy, of gravity itself, and carries extremely powerful force -if fact, it carries all force of all energy itself. This then leaves just one remaining question: where did the boson come from and why did it explode or replicate itself to form the universe?!

In my work, a few years and 400+ pages so far, I came across a very interesting thing. A thing about energy, which all stems from light, and its frequencies. Oddly enough, all matter seems to come from it, as all make up the framework of all elements, which in turn make up all compounds, yada, yada, yada. These frequencies have no measurable mass yet they form gravity, bodies of burning hydrogen, solid mile wide rocks made of lead, planets, and so on.

Apart from this, I stumbled on a pattern of these frequencies. For the sake of HubSpace, a summary:
    There appears to be a system of a prim, codon, helix to every particle of energy. In essence, energy has "DNA". The primer is the marker or joint that causing the binding or uniting of other patterns together, which end up forming particles. So far, it seems there is a chromatic sequencing. One single sequence has eight sub-sequences, that form semiotics or symbols -likened to words or a language, perhaps even a musical arrangement. I cannot -at the moment view them in 3d. In this I see there are dominant, equal and submissive properties, or character and alternate charge within each sequence regardless of the dom, equi, subi character. Keep in mind, this is solely based on the three known energy properties of positive, neutral, negative/electric. The symbols do have a pattern also, and appear in variations through each type of pattern and sub pattern. Finally, these patterns collectively "look" symmetrical or crystalline when stacked next to each other. Visually, they resemble particle waves. Anyway, that is the short-short version. It could be something, it could be nothing.

But, yes, Penny, it is fascinating how massively intricate this universe is, on such a barely conceivable level of smallness.

James.

Those patterns of frequencies I understand believe it or not. I would not have articulated as well as you have but it sure does make sense to me the way you describe it.

Smallness indeed.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool. And here I am thinking what a horrible explanation it was. lol. So, thank you.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And just think James, there are enough people in the world who think they are special? lol

And btw- I was able to follow your previous post. wink

1. jacharless profile image74
            jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Crickets! Another one who gets me. big_smile

Haha no problems.

2. startupninja profile image60
      startupninjaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

(First of all nice post...) I agree with this analysis and I would dare to postulate that in the not so distant future a UFT will emerge along the lines of string theory identifying energy through waves as the foundation of existence and not matter as we currently presume.
      It is all merely a matter of advancing our understanding of the systems we now consider as fundamental until we reach a wall which will force us to think of a metaphorical ladder which will enable us to climb over it an see a whole new horizon.
      This has happened in the past with relativity and quantum physics, and will happen again once we refine the models of our current theories.

That is some postulation. How exciting it will be should it evolve that way.

12. galleryofgrace profile image71
    galleryofgraceposted 11 years ago

The beginning of the end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)