jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Will earthquakes usher in the splitting of a continent?

1. Naomi's Banner profile image77
    Naomi's Bannerposted 5 years ago

Our earthquakes are increasing in number across the United states.  It appears a sleeping giant has awoke.  I hear rumors of increased seismic activity across the United States.  What does it mean?  Are there any experts out there that can share?

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Read up on Plate Tectonics to find out.

http://www.platetectonics.com/

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago
      Naomi's Bannerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Very interesting theory.  Thanks for sharing

3. melpor profile image88
    melporposted 5 years ago

Naomi, I do not believe fracking has anything to do with the recent earthquake in Virginia. The process of fracking does not go that far beneath the surface. The earthquake occurred about 4 to 5 miles down below the earth's surface. Also, earthquakes occur quite frequently in the United States and everywhere in the world because the crust of the earth is in constant motion. It is not static. As a matter of fact an earthquake occurs every few minutes somewhere in the United States especially in the California area. They are unnoticeable most of the time.

Thanks for your thoughts Melpor.

4. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I remember seeing a movie based on a theory that the U.S. could be split into two sections and it's based on a very large Earthquake happening outside of the U.S., in Canada where it starts, but stretches across the U.S. North to South.

How realistic that it could happen? Who knows. But, it made for a good movie though. lol

I too have seen that movie but not sure I believe that would happen.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's a theory. IF, the specifics from the movie were to occur? Then, it would be possible, regardless of what you believe.

5. manlypoetryman profile image69
    manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

working