jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

The Issue of Solitude

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

In our society, there is an emphasis on being a couple and part of a crowd.   From our childhoods, we have been inundated that it is wrong to be alone.   Children are pushed to associate and to have as many friends as possible.  Children who are more solitary in nature are viewed negatively and some are referred to psychological counseling.   

This incessant need to belong result in children and teens doing often deleterious things in order to belong.   This animus against solitude and being alone even perpetuate in almost all areas of our lives.   People who chose to be alone are viewed as pariahs in this society.  They are often called anti-social, wierdos, and other pejorative names.   Unattached adults are pushed into relationships whether they are interested or not as if being alone is the worst thing possible.

There was even a song on this called "One Is the Loneliest Number".   However, there are many benefits to solitude such as creativity, imagination, and independence.    It is a shame that people are so afraid and detest being alone.    Well, they should not because they are with a person they should love the most-themselves.

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
      Earl S. Wynnposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sounds like a good opening for a new hub! I myself have looked into the issue of solitude in my younger days, and even went so far as to write a list of reasons to stay single at one point. I've found that in my life though, it really came down to just having to find people I actually wanted to spend my time with.

2. BfoBarney profile image61
    BfoBarneyposted 4 years ago

I believe in Solitude completely, however only part time. As it can become unhealthy if the scales become unbalanced. But of course this varies for every individual, because in the end it all depends what makes you happy, right?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is so true.   Many people are so afraid of solitude because they are afraid to be alone and really examine themselves.   Solitude should be welcomed because time alone gives one a chance to reflect and meditate.   People are really afraid to look into their subconsious because they are afraid of what they may find. 

This culture is an outer and group culture which frowns upward inner reflection and being alone.   People are constantly pressured to belong to one group or another.  Either that or they are pressured into being in relationships.   Many people are in bad relationships because they are deathly afraid of being alone.   To them, being alone is equivalent to the kiss of death.   You see in all ages from children to teenagers.  Especially tweens and teenagers- this is the age where pressure to be part of the group is at the apex.   Tweens and teenagers would go to any means necessary to become part of a crowd even if it means sublimating their true personalities and having a false persona.  This is sad.   There is nothing wrong in seeking solitude and being alone and apart from the crowd.  There are just some people who are more solitary than others and that should be embraced and respected.